Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding traction to beavertail and deck

suladas ยท 2017-02-25 16:00

After one loading of nearly sliding off the trailer want to add something to have more traction loading my deere 225. I've also noticed despite not loading much on the trailer yet, it seems to be reeking havoc on the beavertail. I always just drive up the beavertail, and before the tipping point I put the bucket down on the deck so I can slowly let it break over. I am wondering if I should start to avoid driving up/down it as much as possible and lift the front? If the tracks are dry and clean and so is the deck it loads perfect, but add in some ice and snow and it gets hairy, especially if the loading space isn't great. The one close call was just because the trailer was sloped a tiny bit and everything was icy, and ended up 6-8" too far to one side, which is quite the problem loading a 10'6" wide machine on a 8'6" trailer, i'm not comfortable pulling it unless it's within 2" or less of centered on the trailer. I nearly needed new pants, and after a lot (I mean a lot) of swearing of how to fix it someone made a very wise decision to just spin the track on the side I needed to get over on more, lift the side that needs to go on more and push myself back onto the trailer, worked great. It also has metal overtop of the wheels, I was thinking 1/2" key way would be best there? I'm not sure if there's much I can do with the beavertail? Has anyone added some kind of runner on the inside to keep the tracks from going sideways? With the machine, extra bucket and ripper and neither the machine or truck full of fuel i've only got 4,000lbs to spare so I don't want to add a lot of weight. With winter pretty much over it shouldn't be too bad, but for next winter it would be nice to lesson the pucker factor loading.

Replies18
  1. #1dn296262017-02-25 16:15

    Have you considered adding two pieces of angle iron up the beavertail? Measure to place them within 2 inches of the inside of each tire of the deere. They will help control the side shifting while loading.

  2. #2suladas2017-02-25 16:19

    I was considering it, I just wasn't sure if it would just break it off if it went sideways? I'd have to make it removable somehow, as there is the odd time my 6 ton mini or skidsteer will need to go on the trailer too. The skidsteer would be the only wheeled machine going up, otherwise only the tracked excavators and the skidsteer loads fine.

  3. #3dn296262017-02-25 16:36

    The other equipment would not be able to go over the angle iron?

  4. #4suladas2017-02-25 16:41

    The mini excavator could, but the skidsteer I think 3-4" angle iron would pose a problem, I would think anything less and the tracks would just climb it? According to my calculations there is 20" of track on the deck on each side, 102" wide trailer, 2" of extra space, the outside of the angle iron would be roughly 58" apart. Skidsteer is about 6'4" wide and 13" wide tires so it's quite a bit too narrow and one tire would need to be inside of it, and as you can see the ramps don't go side to side much. There is the rings for a center ramp and could look at moving one there if I needed to load the skidsteer though.

  5. #5dn296262017-02-25 16:58

    Is the tail the self cleaning style?

  6. #6Planedriver2017-02-25 17:04

    Maybe you could lay in some angle flat to the surface then 1/2" square stock (key-way) welded to that. I have 1/2" square stock on my detachable and landoll. Works great for tracked and wheeled equipment.

  7. #7suladas2017-02-25 17:32

    Yes it is, does the picture not show up, it works for me?

  8. #8td25c2017-02-25 17:56

    I welded in pockets on the tailboard to drop in 2 inch diameter pins that fit the inside of the excavator tracks . Keeps it from gettin sideways squirrelly when breaking over the deck . Then pull the pins & toss them in the chain box when hauling other equipment . Also have some conveyer belt on the deck that helps on the sliding issues . For traction we just weld old bolts & scrap to the beaver tail top edge for the grousers to get hold of . Don't have ramps for the excavator or dozer . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2462&viewfull=1#post2462

  9. #9Randy882017-02-26 05:26

    In icy conditions we toss some old tires on the tail and deck and walk up those and let the machine sit on them as we chain it down and move it, just toss the extra tires between the tracks before chaining down and you have them when you get to the other end to unload, used tires are cheap to come by and when shredded, easy to get rid of. Conveyor belts bolted or nailed on work for a while, but when they come unhooked, you still slide side way's and usually don't expect it then. I know of a few guys who cut large tires and bolted them flat to the top of the deck, works great for large things but skid steers and such its a pain on the deck. On icy decks alone, we spread wood ashes from the furnace which gives it bite and keeps the machines from sliding around, then usually toss on a few junk tires just for extra traction. On the hinge point, on my tag and deck over trailers...........................is why I now own several non ground bearing detaches, seen a few machines go off the side at the hinge point in the winter and that was enough for me. Best of luck

  10. #10Tones2017-02-26 15:45

    Worn out rubber tracks can be a big help. Cut them across and lay them flat on the deck and drive over them. No slipage and cheap as chips. ASV and Cat MTL tracks are best.

  11. #11dn296262017-02-26 18:59

    Sorry, I overlooked your picture.

  12. #12gwhammy2017-02-28 19:45

    I slid off a lowboy sideways the other day, it ain't fun to say the least. Then had to square up and load it again, almost more than my nerves could take.

  13. #13Scrub Puller2017-03-01 01:46

    Yair . . . This fella's got enuff traction Cheers.

  14. #14Randy882017-03-01 07:33

    Scrub, I'd like to see that guy do that here in the winter with snow and ice on the deck, the road's shoulder covered with a couple inches of ice and a steep ditch on one side you can't see the bottom of because its so steep and deep. Love the invisible ROP's, Nice photo just the same.

  15. #15Metalman 552017-03-01 08:05

    I know a guy who in loading his six way D3 Dozer on a beaver tail not quite as high as the one in the picture, climbs about as high as he can go with the front of the machine pointed up in the air, puts the brakes on, gets off the machine, gets a chain tied to the float deck & to the blade, then raises the blade, pulls the machine down to land on the deck, gets off again & unhooks the chain, then pulls ahead & chains up, then off he goes! Would that be in compliance with all safety regulations??

  16. #16Scrub Puller2017-03-01 12:36

    Yair . . . Gotcha Randy88, I hear what you are saying . . . wish he wasn't conxcentrating on that shift lever, it's all footwork at that stage. Cheers.

  17. #17td25c2017-03-01 22:22

    A true operator ! No need for ramps or detachable trailer . Photo looks like late 1960's Viet Nam . Cat D8H climbing up the back of a Fruehauf trailer ? I like it !

  18. #18hydraulichec2017-03-02 11:36

    Good morning. Looks like your angle irons on your beavertail have a lot of spacing. I might add extra peices in between as well to help grab more. And as already mentioned I have seen a number of people using the bolted angle iron guides on the insides. And another gentlman has told me to make sure I have a good sharp edge at the meeting point of beavettail and upper deck. For the track to hold onto as it tips down onto deck. I think he added a 1" square stock to that spot. Safe loading...