I bought a 1968 D7E over the weekend. Undercarriage and machine both to be in great condition, however I need to check the brakes and adjust them. I am in the process of running down a maintenance manual before I start putting alot of hours on it. I've done some research, and have read that the adjustment is under the fuel tank, under a plate with 3 bolts. The only cover that I am finding has a bell shaped vent on on top. I'm also curious as to where the best place is to gain visual access to the shoes. The machine seems to turn better in reverse. Machine has no problem turning when either clutch is pulled and the blade is pushing load on that side. Thanks!
View attachment 155458
Can't see your attachment unfortunately. You maybe be lucky and find a manual on somewhere like eBay but TBH all the bargains pretty much disappeared a long time ago just as soon as sellers realised how much they cost new...... Try here. Genuine Cat manuals produced to order - https://servicemanualpro.com/ A well cared-for Service Manual would likely sell for close to the same price as you paid for it if you ever sold the tractor.
As I recall there's one cover on each side and one did have a breather, maybe both. Remove cover, turn the nut down snug, don't overdo it, then back off 9 clicks? Something like that.
link does not work.
Brake adjustment...under the three bolt cover. Remove cover, turn adjusting screw clockwise until brake band is tight on the brake drum. Back off one turn counter clockwise...that's it!!!!
It does for me......
Thank you for the info gentlemen.