Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adjusting Trunnion

inyati13 ยท 2011-08-17 05:51

On a Cat D3G 2005. I want to adjust the trunnion. In a previous post, I asked how to do this. Now I want to know if the blade will stay in place when the trunnion cap is removed. If the machine is parked with the bottom of the blade resting on the floor, can I safely remove the trunnion cap and shims without the blade moving? It would appear that the push ends of the cylinder rods and the top link would hold the blade in place while this adjustment is made. What do I need to know before I perform this adjustment?

Replies7
  1. #1dblaneyfan2011-08-18 09:23

    Block up the c-frame and the blade, don't take a chance that a leaking cylinder or sudden failure or shift will catch you in a bad place or will damage a cylinder. Remember that just because you don't see oil leaking from a cylinder rod seal doesn't mean that it doesn't have an internal leak. JCS

  2. #2inyati132011-08-18 19:07

    Thanks. I will do that.

  3. #3inyati132011-08-20 18:24

    I adjusted the trunnion on my D3G this morning. It took a while. I had a time getting the bolts loose. I used a large breaker bar with one inch drive and a pipe. It sounded like all hell as the bolts gave up the first ground. Then I found out that the bolts are too long to clear the front of the C-frame. Had to fiddle with angling the blade until I got enough clearance to get them out. It was close quarters getting the socket on the head of the bolt. After following directions for using the correct number of shims and tightening the bolts in proper order, I moved the blade around to check everything. A loud squeek emits from the trunnion when doing a angle movement of the blade. Is that normal until the new adjustment breaks in?

  4. #4Nige2011-08-20 19:01

    sounds like she might be a tad tight ........ a correctly adjusted trunnion really should not squeak. Try giving the trunnion one shim more of play and see how that goes.

  5. #5inyati132011-08-21 20:03

    I plan to revisit the adjustment. Will be much easier now that I got things broke loose. Thanks.

  6. #6Lee-online2011-08-21 20:29

    A squeak means it is too tight. The only thing is when a trunnion ball is worn, it is worn uneven, so it may be tight when the blade is angled all the way and loose when straight. It is a matter of compromising.

  7. #7inyati132011-08-22 05:06

    Thanks. I often pour a cup of old oil into the recess at the top of the trunnion ball to help lube the joint, is that a good practice?