Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice and opinions needed

tractormech ยท 2023-01-21 10:35

Hello all-I'm looking at 2 older backhoes for real light use on a home place. The first is a 210B John Deere and the other is a 480L Case. Both are 2 wheel drive. It would be used to pick and carry more than anything. The JD has a regular gear hydraulic pump-not the piston pump. It has a 219 or 239 motor and a Borg- Warner shuttle shift rebuilt 7 or 8 years ago and less than 20 hours on it since then. I rebuilt it for the guy. The case has a 4b 3.9 non turbo and it looks like the same transmission. Both have been sitting up so I know I can expect blown hoses and leaking cylinders on both. If you have any experience or constructive input I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1gggraham2023-01-23 12:13

    Worked on Case machine for 30 years all I can say is the Cummins 3.9 is bulletproof and very easy to work on. The shuttle is the same in both, forward clutch Belleville washer being the weak point on them. Check the king pins on the 480L I know the parts to repair were getting pricey.

  2. #2tractormech2023-01-23 23:53

    Thanks for your insight. Those little 4B Cummins are hard to beat for sure. That sort of has me leaning that way. and you're right-The price of everything is going out of sight. Thanks for the tip about the kingpins.