The Prez has finally been beaten down by our shop and is ready to replace our old loaders. We have been patching and repairing our CAT 950F II's, 966D's and 966E's for a few years now while they've upgraded our large hoes and other support equipment. Our fleet is 85% CAT, so naturally the boss is looking at the new CAT 950H, but also seems to be quite interested in the DEERE 624K and 644K loaders as well. There are a few other sewer/water contractors in the area that are running DEERE 624J+K loaders now, but from looking at the specs, they seem to give up quite a bit of HP and weight to the 950H, which I think is important for carrying precast pipe, box's, etc. From what I've been told, we will be getting both a 950H and 624K cycled through our job here in the next few weeks to demo, but I'd appreciate any feedback from guys out there who have run either of these machines, especially with a pipe crew. Thanks !
The new 950s dont seem to have as much ass as the F series. I find myself teeter totering quiet a bit in our 950H. That is my only complaint about that machine. You may also want to check out a loader out of the Volvo line up. I ran a 110e for a while, and it was a Caddy compared to any other loader. Smooth, and fast. We ran around with a 5 yard bucket on it, and if would scream along at 22-24 mph in the dirt.
Try something else than a Cat , Turbo is right the Volvo is a good machine. I hated Case dozers until I rented one this past summer. what a great machine it was a 650. Try a loader the old one the W series was bad but the new ones I heard weren't. The fuel consumption is a major factor now. Cats use to much fuel. Look at the turning radius. digger
Cat also offers a 950H with a sewer water configuration. I would look hard at that loader over a standard 950H
The 644K is the right match up for the 950H. The 624K is lined up with the 938H. Make sure you get the right machine to demo. I think there is an additional counterweight package for the 644 that might be a good pick for pipe and box handling. I believe the 644K has a bit more hp and tip load than the 950H. Let us know what you think after the demo. I've started looking at the Deere machines a bit myself so am interested in your thoughts.
What does the sewer and water arrangement have that the standard 950 does not have
The company I work for has mostly Cat equipment except our wheel loaders, they are all Komatsu. (1) 380 and (2) 320. We also have 1 older Cat IT24. Maybe take a look at the Komatsu as well?
950 H with sewer and water package comes with additional counter weight, standard coupler forks and bucket. There may also be some additional HP and a few other goodies.
Sewer and Water 950H has a 962H counterweight and additional horsepower. It does not show up on a spec sheet, so don't go by specs alone. The Deere may look like they have more power and tipping load on paper, but thats only as good as the paper its printed on. Also make sure when you test machines out that you have the proper air pressure, especially in the front tires. Sewer contractors especially will want the front tires aired up. Its amazing the difference in how much a loader will pick up just by having the correct pressure. The other thing you might be interested in is the Fusion coupler. Couplers are perfect for sewer contractors who use forks and buckets. The new coupler is a wedge lock design so it doesn't rattle or wear out like a horizontal pin coupler. It also has a zero offset design to keep the load closer to the machine - more tipping load and breakout force.