Hi everyone and thanks for the advice in advance. I've got a bit of land, nothing huge but it needs a fair bit of work. (In Victoria, Australia) I've rented a 3.5 tonner from a local guy a few times before the house was built to do some of the necessary stuff but now I've got a bit of work to do in terms of landscaping. It cost around $500 for the weekend so I figure it's a bit of a waste to keep doing that. I'd also like to advertise locally to get clean fill brought in so I wouldn't mind having a machine handy at all times for that purpose. Firstly, my idea is to buy a second hand machine at a decent price. Get my property in order over the weekends for perhaps a few months and then flip the machine to as close to what I bought it as possible. Am I mad for even attempting this? I figure if I can get a decent price in a private sale it could be worth it? I'm thinking to simplify things I'll look for a kubota 3.5-5.5 tonnes. I've started to do a bit of research so I think I'm starting to get my head around what's a good price but there's still a bit to learn. However, I'm only looking at the advertised prices, which is a bit hard to work out whether the price is decent or not. So I can get my head around some of these prices could someone be so kind as to perhaps give me what they believe a decent price would be for the following? If I'm asking the wrong questions prepared to cop a whack as well. Will take any advice possible. U55 with 2500 hours U55 with 5000 hours KX161 with 2500 hours KX161 with 5000 hours U35 with 2500 hours U35 with 5000 hours
Need to be asking for maintenance records for any machine you have interest in, that and any considerations as to abused as in severe scuffs or even what could be termed as Minor damage on a fairly new machine could indicate rough to abusive handling. Here in the US unless a well used rental machine that has been maintained no one sells a machine just because, they are selling a money pit or a diagnosed failure ready to release and most times asking Top Dollar for it. If on a equipment yard is some better but again ask if maintenance records as that could indicate whether machine is or is not worth the money. AU is a different economy as to US, not sure where to start as to pricing there. A trip to Machinery sales advertising for typical machines by your ID types by dealers will give the high end values for your area.
See if you can find a reputable technician in the area to give you an assessment of the machine. It'd be a good investment towards purchase. (Keep you from buying a lemon) The fluids are probably new, but oil analysis never hurt anyone. Just a thought. Good luck with your purchase
I think as far as what money they are worth, that would be hard to take on for those of us on the other side of the world, probably the Down Under guys on here provide some input in that. The question about buying it, using it and reselling it for what you put into is valid and done often here. Excavators typically have a really low repair rate assuming they are taken care of. However you run the risk of a major repair while you own it and because its a casual use machine, recovering those repair costs probably wont happen prior to selling it. That's the risk you have to be willing to take going that route. Renting the right machine as you need it can be more productive than owning a mini ex when a CTL would be much faster as an example. Something to think about.
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the advice. Yeah I will definitely pay a mechanic to have a look over it prior to purchase. The tricky part for me atm is trying to determine whether the asking prices on second hand machines are reasonable to begin with. I'll keep doing my research. If any Aussies want to throw some estimates at those machines i've listed above that would be awesome. Yikes that's a bit of a worry. I'll 100% get a mechanic to take a good looking over it before I buy I'm thinking. Cheers