Hello, The front sliding window (when sitting in the excavator, sliding front window on the left side) was broken in my Cat 305C 2008 and the previous owner had replace it with a plexiglass. I purchased an original window and got it yesterday. Do you have any advice on how to install that thing? I can push it up or down in the "rail" so it fits. Looks like I have to remove something to fit it in but I can't see what. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I've encountered two kinds. One, you remove a plastic runner in the bottom channel. Others, you spread the rails up/ down and add glass, after removing it from cab.
I can't see how I can remove the rails from the cab and I guess the plastic runner will be destroyed if I try to remove them to fit the window.
I can assure you that there are directions somewhere. Without pictures, I can't help. Parts manuals didnt help.
Is this the window (the sliding part of this assembly) you are referring to..?
Yea, Nige, that's the only one it could be.
Nige, that is correct, I'm trying to put back the window pointed by arrows A
i've tried looking in all the obvious locations but can't see anything in the way of instructions, even for other similar models. Clutching at straws but is there some way the frame for the sliding window removes as a unit from the cab in order to open it up and install the new glass..?
Can't say for sure, but from experience if you pull out the felt strip that lines the frame, you should find some screws that fix the frame to the cab. Remove the frame from the cab and it should come apart.
On my 324d door sliding glass, the bottom of the glass run was plastic, and lifted out (not intuitively). My Takeuchi TB180 slider windows, opposite entry door, the entire unit was butyl rubbered in. Remove interior windlace, slowly pry top of frame away from cab (butyl is uncured and gummy), spread frame top up enough to insert new glass.
Here are some pics of where the window slides.
You can see filler strip profile from my 324D slider. Looks like your unit.
Hi heymccall, thanks for your reply. If you look at the first picture I posted, you can see holes in the rails for water drainage. The second picture shows that same hole from below the rail. As you can see, there's no way a filler can fit in there. From that 2nd picture too, you can see a shim on the left side of the hole for water drainage. I suspect that the windrow frame is actually glued there.
Staring at your pictures, I see a windlace (rubber upside spring containing seal). Unlace the whole strip, then you'll see the sheetmetal/ window frame interface. Then pull top of frame from cab, using heavy putty knife first. Once frame is tilted out, either pull a channel corner fastener, or spread frame upward. Install glass. Place frame and windlace back.
Thanks heymccall! Will I destroy the windlace doing so?
It's a friction fit molding. Talked to cat tech, they couldn't find much, other than reference to concealed screws somewhere. Either under the windlace holding the frame in or holding the frame channel together.
Looks like a PITA to change after all
Cant rember for the heck of me but ther is 2 type 1 have a hiidden screw to take out the track the other is a glued track if i recall right the hidden screw was under a Rubber gasket kind of stuff try take a picture of the entier thing it might help m'y old brain rember were that screw was
@bob_00 Thanks for your response - I'll take a few more pics this coming weekend. Out of curiosity, where are you located in Quebec? I'm also in Quebec.
ste-julienne 45 km au nord de Montréal
I'm in St-Come, 25 mins from you ;-)
Thats so funny Last summer i was in Ontario and i had to call 911 for an accident the dispatcher Who answer me was also from st-come 600 some km away from home then the frist post i find that i can help here it aslo from a guy from st-come funny le monde est petti comme on dit ...
To the left of "3" is the lip that the windlace pinches to the cab.
And for those who don't know what "windlace" is...
Thanks @heymccall - I'll remove the windlace this weekend and see how it looks like from inside. I'll post more pictures if needed.