Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice in getting fluids into transaxles?

emmett518 · 2021-04-11 20:57

I’m still doing research, but I think I have to add fluid to the front and rear transaxles and hubs through the 3/8 inch drive plugs on the sides of both of these. How do you get the fluid in there without spilling it everywhere? Thanks.

Replies26
  1. #1JL Sargent2021-04-11 21:01

    You can use a tube from higher up to run it in.

  2. #2edgephoto2021-04-11 21:20

    Use a suction gun. I prefer to buy good quality tools but Harbor Freight carries them I bet. Local auto parts store will have one too.

  3. #3JL Sargent2021-04-11 21:28

    3 1/2 gallons is the capacity of the rearend. Much easier to feed it in from above.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2021-04-11 21:54

    I have screwed in a 3/8" hydraulic hose or correct size and pumped into the hose with the 1 gallon container mounted pumps. Easy standing up and comfortable. Mine has a fill plug in two bad location but it's easy to see when they are full.

  5. #5alrman2021-04-11 22:06

    These work well .....

  6. #6Swetz2021-04-12 12:44

    When I did my rear, I used this one. Was a little soar when done because of the volume, and viscosity of the oil. I would prolly do the same again as it was cheep and you do not do it often. If I had a shop, you can be sure I would have it powered by something other than me like an air pump or electric pump. As JL Sargent said getting the oil from above is prolly easier, but I really didn't have an access point on my machine.

  7. #7Black_Cirrus2021-04-12 12:50

    To fill the rear diff on mine I set the bucket in the cab, ran a chunk of cheap air hose through the slots for the hoe controls. Started a siphon and did something else for the next hour...

  8. #8Coaldust2021-04-12 13:17

    Without going all-out with a dedicated drum dispenser for that particular lube product, these work good for occasional fills. Especially in the field.

  9. #9NH575E2021-04-12 13:37

    Those little pumps work okay for topping up but anytime I do a total fill I stick a piece of 1/2" tygon on a funnel and hook the funnel up above the fill hole somewhere I can pour the oil in.

  10. #10Coaldust2021-04-12 13:47

    That works, too. It also funnels the rain, mosquitoes, dust, volcanic ash, snow, cottonwood dander, and mud into the compartment I’m trying to fill. Lol.

  11. #11JL Sargent2021-04-12 14:57

    Lets see, 3.5 gallons required at 12 strokes a liter. That seems like a whole lot of strokes guys. That might approach my honeymoon night!

  12. #12Swetz2021-04-12 15:16

    LOL

  13. #13JBrady2021-04-12 15:58

    Do it on a warm day or warm the oil up. It's no fun trying to pump cold gear oil through those small transfer pumps.

  14. #14Jonas3022021-04-12 20:30

    5 gal bucket pump can order though your parts house or oil dealer too air pumps are more fun but lots of oil has been put in one pump at a time https://www.zoro.com/lincoln-oil-pu...qxECG0fhl0ur-akfKvPEXBPOqWLL0uEcaAly1EALw_wcB

  15. #15JL Sargent2021-04-12 21:02

    I wonder what the flow rate per stroke is on that one?

  16. #16stinky642021-04-13 01:37

    Probably not as many strokes as yur honeymoon, but I'm with Jonas and the bucket pump..the longer handle makes pumping a whole lot easier and the pump can be used for other fluids as well after the initial task..Just wouldn't recommend washer fluid or beverages...

  17. #17JL Sargent2021-04-13 02:24

    I found it: 1.5 oz per stroke. So 3.5 gallons is 320 oz / 1.5 oz per stroke = 213.3 strokes. That's beyond my honeymoon estimate I'm afraid.

  18. #18JL Sargent2021-04-13 07:43

    Actually, I believe it is 298.6 strokes. My 1:30 am math was a little off.

  19. #19stinky642021-04-13 12:08

    Well did you factor in viscosity, temperature, barometric pressure, and available pump stroke clearance?

  20. #20JL Sargent2021-04-13 12:18

    Talk about arm pump. Do it on a cold day!

  21. #21stinky642021-04-13 12:32

    That's why I only pump with my left arm and save the right one for 12 oz. curls..

  22. #22Swetz2021-04-13 12:37

    How bout building up the muscles with a 25 oz curl...LOL...for future pumping no doubt

  23. #23NH575E2021-04-13 17:36

    If you are talking about hydraulic fluid I have used a $10 electric fuel pump to pump it with. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12v+fuel+pump&ref=nb_sb_noss

  24. #24emmett5182021-04-15 07:24

    I decanted the transmission fluid into one gallon aliquots in a Home Depot bucket, and carefully poured it into a long funnel inserted into the fill tube. Trying to balance a five gallon pail of the stuff with a diagonally-situated funnel buried behind the loader arm seemed to be a bad idea. Hoping the hydraulic fill is better situated, and larger in diameter.

  25. #25JL Sargent2021-04-15 10:14

    Well, how did the fluid look that you drained out? I'm hoping like new.

  26. #26emmett5182021-04-15 17:44

    The transmission fluid was a bit murky, but not horrible. Oil was normal looking. Looking at the hydro, it looks brand new. Have not drained the differentials yet.