Hey guys , I am gonna replace the engine on my TD9 IH dozer and it has a D282 in it at the time and I talked to a man who has a 301 out of a combine that runs great ... My question is , Are these the same engines as far as fitting is concerned and just different CIDs or will I run into other differences ? :beatsme Has anyone done any thing like this ? Thanks in advance for advice , Wingnut
Not sure if the block is compatable.what is wrong with the d282?I had trouble with my fiat-allis hd16b breaking crankshaft. re-powerd with 855 cummins,It was quite a task,but well worth the effort.
Years ago a friend of mine had a 282 go bad in his Austin Western all terrain crane. He grabbed an identical-looking but larger IH (might have been a 301, I forget) and proceeded to bolt in in, with very little trouble, seemingly. He finished the installation, hit the key, and discovered the starter wouldn't engage. It missed the ring gear by a half inch or so. Seems that in order to achieve the increased displacement (via longer stroke) IH had made the block a little bit taller, which placed the crank a bit lower in relation to the bellhousing, which led to the starter not engaging. I don't remember how he fixed it, but I think he may have ended up putting a 282 back in it. I know whatever the fix was he had to take the engine back out, and that he was mad as a hornet! So beware... Sounds like a good home for a 6B Cummins:drinkup 25c, any pics of the Cummins repower? Sounds sweet! Someone local had an HD21 (or the FA equivalent) that was repowered with a Cummins. Real nice job, hard to tell it wasn't a factory install.
I dont halve any pics,but I will get some.I will let my wife figure out how to post them.855 cummins the way to go when re-powering these machiens.plenty of power ,reliability,and no more broken crankshafts.
855, really? I have one in a truck - its big. You think it would fit in a TD9?
NO,I was giving an example of what I done when re-powering my dozer,16b fiat-allis.the 855 is to big for the td9.
A 6B would be more the size you're looking for , even a 4BT would work fine.
Guestion? I see several machines repowered,by Cummins,so where do you start ?Talk to Cummins dealer or direct to factory for info? On here a Cat scraper was repowered,also.So does Cummins come up with adapter plates to remount or what?Would like to here more. I might do some researching at the Cummins dealer for answers also:usa
When I repowered my fiat-allis h16b,there was not much available from the from the factory.I made the adapter plate in my shop.I re-drilled the cummins crankshaft to acommadate the fiat-allis flywheel.By doing it this way,you keep everything behind the new engine "stock".The 855 cummins&fiat-allis 844 engine were nearly identical in sise,which helps when doing a repower.Its been in the dozer for 10 years now,and I halve no complaints.I think adapter plates&flywheel parts are more available now,especially for the 4&6 cylinder cummis engines used in pickups and delivery trucks. Hope this helps.
Wingnut, my father was a TD9 fanatic, are you sure its not a UD350?? or do you have a TD9-91?? To bad last year $360 a ton my last two went. To bad I would have gave you an engine. A little on the darkside, years ago we stuffed a 352 ford in one. Its not that hard . We took the IH flywheel and engine to local machine shop. They dowled & pressed dowels in the flywheel and redrilled it for the Ford or whatever eng you want. Next they milled a new plate & milled the starter hole a little lower to clear exhaust manifold so the IH three bolt starter could be used. Clutch stays the same It has some leeway cause you have a short drive shaft. Used ford radiator. I think the hardest thing was real junkyard teck. To couple the pump. We used 1/2 of a truck PTO U Joint with a very long bolt in the front pulley. Couple hundred for machining (30 ys ago) some tin work, backyard exhaust and a gas pedal. Ill tell ya for the work it was learning experiance, It really surprized us. Good things no viabration, very quiet got guts. Bad things gas pedal > we never could find a belt driven governor, so my dad put a lawnmower throttle control where the air cleaner was and next it needed to be run atleast 1500rpms or more (almost double the diesel) so it was on the fast side, we never did any heavy stuff, just grading loam & I think for a backyard makeover It did quite well. But ill never forget two feet on the dash to steer the thing!! Ill look for a pic of this TD9 (when it had diesel)
Td-9 -91 series used ud350 those were 4 cyl start on gas the 92 series used the 282 a direct start 6 cyl diesel- I am pretty sure you can make this swap as they are both part of the same series. You should check over on the Red Power board
Hi 25C , Its a crazy story and kinda long so Ill skip all the long stuff and get to the point , I cant keep #4 piston with rings , (keeps breaking them) , the hole seems to have been bored wrong or something screwey in there . The prev. owner did a major overhaul , I did one major and two inframes on it and keep coming up with the same results "one screwed up clyinder" (hour glass shaped) :Banghead SO , when I found this D301 I thought that this will be a good time to just fix that problem once a for all (I hope) :beatsme And to everone , thanks for the advice , hints , and ideas !:thumbsup
I'm the new owner of an fiat allis FD7 without a motor and am looking into repowering that. My plan is to use a 4BT that I took out of a Frito Lay delivery van with 38K miles. I've talked to the injection shop about redoing the Bosch VE pump to be set up as a load goverened instead of speed goverened unit. In my experience in the past 25c tends to have the correct idea, adapt somewhere between the crank and the transmission to keep everything behind the motor stock. I don't know a ton about TD9s but I know that at some point most companies went to a common bolt pattern on the back of the engine. Something like "SAE 3" or something then they use a bellhousing adpter, horse collar, flywheel housing adapter to hook the front side of the transmission. TD9 was strictly IH stuff I think so they probably have all proprietary bellhousings and stuff, not sure they thought about modular manufacturing back in those days. Best thing to do is dig around and take measurements of the space you have to put the motor, then find a motor that fits those measurements and has good parts/tech support and work with that. In my experience if you can find a good Cummins Dealer they've seen their motors in everything and have a lot of parts straight from the factory for adaptions, much better than it was when 25c put that beast in his 16b Hope this helps in someway, my experience is currently limited to putting 4BTs in chevy trucks and older Oliver tractors... the Olivers that had the PERKINS were an easy swap because the two companies used the SAE standard bolt pattern as opposed to the old Wakasha (oliver) motors.
Sounds like a good project RacinRex.The fiat allis fd7 will like the cummins 4BT engine.Keep us posted.
a 301 is just a bored out version, it should bolt right in with out any issues, you will have to change a few components though, ie. oil pump and such. I hope this helps...andy questons visit the red power magizine board.
I can't start new threads yet so I'm going to do a mini Hi-jack to ask where I can get parts/manual for the fiat allis. PS... When my access is changed over I will be posting pics of my project.