Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice on 8 Metric Ton Machine

ja_cain · 2024-04-03 19:39

Looking for some feedback/advice on which machine to buy. Initially will be using to clear/thin a pine stand, digging out old oak/gum stumps, loading out oak logs I harvest off the property to send to the mill or mill on site (have my own mill) and even assisting in some framing projects (barns/shop additions). Here are two machines I'm currently considering that are pretty close to the house. Also, which one would run a mulching head better if I was to rent one? Appreciate the help! Justin 2018 TB290 $50K 1200 hour, tag quick attach, tag hydraulic thumb, dual port hydraulics for thumb and mulcher, enclosed cab with ac, good tracks 2016 308cr2 $68K 2969 hrs will go up as we still use it. Awesome machine comes with two buckets 36”,24” hydraulic thumb, manual quick coupler, auxiliary hydraulics, steal tracks with rubber pads. Tight machine everything works as it should ,cat maintained its entire life.

Replies16
  1. #1CM19952024-04-03 19:55

    Any pics or links to the listings? Is this a machine for your own use or will you need to earn a living with it? Are either machine from a rental fleet?

  2. #2ja_cain2024-04-03 22:03

    I'll get you some pics in the morning. I suspect the TB290 was.moat likely a rental machine from United. The 308 isn't. Will initially be used for personal use, but would like to make a buck or two if the opportunity arises.

  3. #3ja_cain2024-04-03 22:07

    Marketplace listing for TB290. Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com Marketplace listing for 308 Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com I have more pictures of the undercarriage on the 308 that I'll post up in the morning.

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-04-03 23:31

    Is there good dealer support for the Tak. close by? Was reading on here awhile ago lots of Tak. dealers were dropping them because Tak. expects unrealistic sales.

  5. #5Lagwagon2024-04-03 23:46

    Both look decent IMO but I’m suspicious of the Tak’s 1200 hrs. I’m Pritty sure the hr meter is digital on the screen, ask if it’s had a screen replace.

  6. #6ja_cain2024-04-04 05:37

    I am too. I'll ask them when I get a chance.

  7. #7ja_cain2024-04-04 05:45

    There's a dealer on the north side of richmond, but I don't know anyone that had dealt with them. Not sure if the seller is going to give me the straight scoop either. I'll give the dealer a call today and try and get a feel for what they might be like to deal with. The CAT dealer seams to be decent based on some feedback from one of my friends that owns a mini. There are a lot of Tak 290's listed right now from rental places, I guess maybe I could give them a call and see what the support is like.

  8. #8ja_cain2024-04-04 06:24

    Here are some pictures of the 308 undercarriage. Looks decent from my eye. Hard to tell on the bushings until I can actually get my hands on them.

  9. #9CM19952024-04-04 11:00

    Well if it were me I would shy away from anything that was in UR's fleet. Day in and day out I see how the trades run those rental machines..no thanks. Biggest issue IMO is 99% of the guys running rental machines fire it up WOT and turn it off WOT. Makes me cringe even thought it's not my machine. That and using the bucket as a rock/concrete hammer, that happens pretty often as well. No fb account so can't see the links

  10. #10ja_cain2024-04-04 11:15

    That is an excellent point and it has definitely crossed my mind. Run it like you stole it. I'll try and share some more photos of both machines. Looks like the 290 has better main hydraulic pump flow, but might be lower on the aux flow than the Cat. This might be significant if I plan on ever running a mulching head, but he most important thing initially is digging power for clearing/stump removal.

  11. #11CM19952024-04-04 12:38

    Sometimes even worse - run it like you want to destroy it. All the big rental chains care about is keeping the machines out on rent. They have a set replacement schedule for all the iron so maintenance and repairs are not on the top of the list.

  12. #12ja_cain2024-04-04 17:55

    Here are some more pics of the 308.

  13. #13ja_cain2024-04-04 17:58

    Pics of the TB290

  14. #14ja_cain2024-04-04 18:01

    Picture of TB290 display with hours. Getting ready to message and see if it's been replaced.

  15. #15CM19952024-04-04 19:22

    Any history on the 308? If it has been Cat dealer maintained they should have service records with oil analysis which is gold when looking at used equipment. Either way I would sample fluids on whichever machine you decide before purchase.

  16. #16KSSS2024-04-04 19:53

    A Taki dealer should be able to run the serial number and see what was done to it under warranty. That may give you an idea if the hours are correct. I have run a 308 but it was mostly to checkout the Rototilt. The 290 I have spent time in and they are a digger.