Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice on buying Backhoe

MikeCNY ยท 2008-05-09 21:23

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, Looking into buying a used backhoe, the one I'm currently looking at is a 88' Case 580K The Good: 4x4, 4 in 1 bucket, extend-a-hoe, swinger on the 'hoe, new tires. The Bad: Missing 2 pieces of glass in the cab, floor is very rusty..some holes in it. Needs paint.. and its also located in mass. Would cost about $800 to get it home. Dealer has it, wants $16,500. He said it has 5330 hours on it, is that alot for one of these? Anyone have specs on the 580K? And also is it just me or do the Case'es seem a little smaller, lighter looking then say a Ford or a Deere? Thanks, -Mike

Replies18
  1. #1xalexjx2008-05-09 21:55

    what kind of trailer/ what kind of work do you do? Look into an excavator like a kobelco 80 or 115!

  2. #2cat3202008-05-09 22:09

    I belive that is the second model year for the K I heard of the tanks or something leaking in them so check for that .what dealer has it? 5300 hours is not great but it's not bad if it was maintained it should last a long time.I have looked at some with over 7k on the meter and some that all seamed to have 3k on it from a guy out west that is no longer around .

  3. #3Burnout2008-05-09 22:53

    The early K's had some problems with them, rust, electrical and the chassis cracking at the hydraulic tank causing it to puke oil everywhere. A guy I worked for had a 89 580K and it was a real dog. For that price you could probably find a decent late SK model. For the K series the crown jewel was in 1994 580SK Turbo. They are basically an L model, but with more power.

  4. #495zIV2008-05-10 01:39

    He's already got his eye on a TLB, why should he look at a excavator? Case hoes where the major brand that was seen around here for many years. I think that the major complaint was that they always seem light on the front for traveling with so you always had to lock the boom into transport position to road it and maybe for loading with it.

  5. #5Phil2008-05-10 05:57

    As someone mentioned above, check the hydraulic and fuel tank for leaks. I think it was the cross member between the two that got stressed. The rusty cab should devalue the machine considerably and the rust is always at least twice as bad as it appears. I put a complete new floor in a K once, made it in 3 pieces. Did the K's not have 3 different trans axle variations, so the later ones are preferable? Can anyone add to this? Phil

  6. #6JS580SL2008-05-10 12:35

    Is it located on RT. 1 in Foxboro? He's got an add in the equipment trader? I think I know what machine your talking about .Ive been there a few times and alot of whipped hoes. Id look around some more. Like burnout said the newer K's are better. The old ones Ive heard wern't so great.

  7. #7MikeCNY2008-05-10 16:30

    Yeah its at benco's. I looked at another 580K not too far from me. it had 89XX hours, they wanted $15, 995. I'm buying it as an all purpose machine, would do a few jobs with it here and there..junking cars, drive way in the winter, looking to build a house in a 5-10 years, want to buy it and pay it off before I buy the land etc. Biggest reason I like it is the 4 in 1 bucket and extend a hoe. There was another up north from me..same machine minus the new tires and swinger. He wanted 18,900 and got it..Thats why I'm after this one. Would anyone be willing to stop by and check it out? Even if it broke once in a while, wouldnt be too worried, I can weld, wrench whatever, and I have a case dealer about a 1/2 hour away. The saga continues! -Mike

  8. #8cat3202008-05-10 16:39

    walk away from benco stuff unless you have a mechanic look it over.they bought my towns terex it has brake issues and other stuff wrong all they did was take pics and slap a for sale sign on it. just to show you mark up on it they got it for around $7 k and wanted $16,500 is at 14,500 the last time i saw it listed. all there stuff is municiple stuff i belive you may hit it good but get the hystory on the machine on who had it last ,so you can see why they traded or sold it.If they will not do it they they are trying to cover something up . You said your near a case dealer is it monroe that is where my L came out of .

  9. #9MikeCNY2008-05-10 17:02

    Yup, monroe tractor. My boss bought some parts from them, they seemed like they knew what was going on. Usually I'm very cheap..not wanting to pay much for anything, but Im too excitied over buying a hoe I guess.

  10. #10cat3202008-05-10 17:11

    They where not bad to deal with the guy I delt with is long gone his name was tom can't remember the last name. I was dealing with another guy before them out in hatfield ,ma he got alot of his stuff from canada with mega hours on it but all machines said 3K on it go figure lol. all nice new paint but rough inside and under the hood used machines if they have been painted buyer beware that hides all the nice leaks untill the tailgate waranty is gone. depending on how fast you want it alex lyons has rental return auctions don at foxwoods you can look up to see dates when but they do have some newr machines some times that aren't all painted up pretty. here is my town machine behind the deer. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5&GUID=D75BFB1B4F0545EFAF3DD507E425CA27&dlr=1 that needs brakes bushings and something else of it was hard to start in the winter .

  11. #11JS580SL2008-05-10 19:41

    You can always buy a 4n'1 afterwards. Only issue is wether the machine is plumbed or not. Super E's are good machines to look at to for what you need also.

  12. #12tuney4432008-05-11 13:27

    Personally I would stay away from a dealer for buying anything used.Get yourself an issue or better yet,go online to Bargain News,a Ct. paper only for ads that has tons of everything.I'm a diehard Deere guy,if you can find a 310-510 B,C,D,or E model,you'd be way ahead of that Case hoe IMHO.My 510B was excellent to me for 23 years and still going strong with it's new owner on an estate.

  13. #13irwin2008-05-24 18:41

    There does seem to be a lot of TLB's with a ton of hours for sale, and pricing is all over the map. (I like Deere's also, they seem to hold value, hard to kill, and part availability is good) I'm in the same position, need something bigger than my compact tractor with 6 1/2 foot backhoe attachment. I'm getting concerned about how much abuse I'm giving it, and it takes too long to get anything done. I have an acre to clear for horses, and several acres I'd like some clearing done (not every rock or tree, many 20-35"+ trees). sorry if I'm not posting properly (would'a started a new thread but I apparently don't have permission yet.) thanks tim

  14. #14ZX8502008-05-25 20:48

    Good rule of thumb is to not buy a backhoe loader with over 9,000 hours on it....that is about the max life you can expect before MAJOR repairs are needed. I personally wouldn't buy one with over 7k hours on it unless I knew for sure the maint. was performed properly and it was not abused. Municipal machines are the most common used machines, be careful they tend to be used in salt and the front bucket pins will usually not take grease...i speak in generalities, I purchased a machine from a local municipality that actually takes very good care of their machines. I would look around and see what you can find that has between 5 and 6500 hours on it and be prepared to pay between 19 and 29k (depending on specs and brand). If you are looking in the 16k range I would expect high hour, or wrong hour, machines that are going to have problems....no matter what brand...something will break. I would stick with either Case or Deere, Deere being my default if at all possible....you might want to look around at your local owner operators or small to mid-sized contractors and call on them to see if they are looking to dispose of their machine any time soon. Many times you can pay wholesale for a machine this way since the dealer is going to give less than wholesale. The contractor makes out because they get more for their machine and you make out because you don't pay retail....just an idea.... let us know what you decide

  15. #15case3103502008-06-01 18:12

    580k 580k are good machines, they do have a rust problem. I have a 89 series 2 with 8500 hours, and it runs fine, better that most machines I have seen with 1/2 the hours. I do consider hours but not the main factor, its how a machine was cared for and run. things to check: front axle bushings, make sure the axle is tight, if the bearings are gone and they wore into the axle its done. cracked tanks, but this is not as common as people think. Ask if the brakes have been done, the tabs that hold the disc break at about 4000 hours, the repair kit has mods that prevent this from happening again, but it a job to do.

  16. #16irwin2008-06-01 20:07

    :update: I found a Kubota L35 with 272 hrs with front remotes, pushbutton control on joystick, softside cab, QA frt and rear buckets, come with a tiller and snowpusher bucket, along with the regular FEL bucket. I spent a lot of time this last month, and lost out on a few deals, was considering buying a different L35 with no extras and approx. 1200 hrs. Before I called the guy back, I sat at my laptop one more time and found this one.. They both wanted the same money. the one I bought is two years newer and has all the things I wanted except a grapple,(but it is plumbed for it) and has 800+ fewer hrs. Keep looking there are diamonds out among the used iron. Tried to post pictures, but maybe I haven't earned the permission yet.

  17. #17GEM92008-06-01 20:46

    Did you take a look at the one i have posted for sale? 755B ford

  18. #18CM19952008-06-01 23:01

    Try this link out about posting pictures