Hopefully soon I will be digging out a watering hole. Nothing big at all! Maybe 50ft x 40ft. With only an excavator, what is the best way to go about it? I know a lot of excavated dirt will have to be moved again, but what method would minimize this?
Just a little foresight.Try to place the excavated soil close to or in the direction of where you are going to use it.In the process you might stack it to level the site to walk the machine on.Ron G
There is more to it then just digging a hole. What's the soil like, you'll want an overflow, and something coming in. I also agree with RonG try to plan in advance it'll make things a lot easier.
Location is already picked out. It would be really easy with a dozer to assist, but my concern in the excavated dirt. It will be enough excavated that it will be piled up as much as I can get it all the way around with the need to excavate more. I though there may be a strategy to minimize the moving of the excavated dirt a second time just to have room enough to continue digging. Last time I dug one I had to go behind the pile to rake it down and make room for more.
you'll have to throw it twice unless you get a long reach excavator.
Or an artic to load into and haul it away... Morooka if the ground is soft
Do you have access to a dump trailer and tractor? You could always move as much as possible out of the way 1st, then build up the sides.