Hello all, As some that I have interacted with on this awesome forum know, I intend to purchase a TLB in the near future. Because of local dealers, I have been focused on New Holland and John Deere. Well, I came across this unit and I want some feedback. I am looking to purchase a TLB that will theoretically lase me a life time. I will be using this unit exclusively on my 43 acre piece of property in NE PA. Anyhow, this is what I came across, and intend to look at in the next couple of weeks. I would like any possible advice on what to look for (possible weaknesses of this particular make and model) for possible dealbreakers. Thanks in advance! 2007 New Holland B95 Net Horsepower (HP): 89 Drive: 4WD Max Dig Depth: 18' Operating Weight: 15,000 Lbs Hours: 1733 Extend-A-Hoe EROPS Heat Suspension Seat Switchable Backhoe Controls Tilt Steering Work Lights Interior Lights
More pics.
The negatives that I see from the pics are: - L/R tire looks about done - One of the teeth is missing from the bucket - Looks like the R/S engine cover could be cracked - The cover for the HVAC filter is missing in the cab - Blower ducts on the dash are missing diffusers On the positive side: - From the pictures it may really only have 1700 hours - Seat not worn - Pedals not worn - Front loader cutting edge not worn really bad - Rear bucket doesn't look like it is worn badly - looks clean - looks dry - extend-a-hoe - suspension seat The owner is asking about 33K for this machine
Anyone have any feedback on things that are a weak point on this model and year?
In the photo of the back of tractor where hoe mounts to tractor the bottom mount looks funky to me.
If the price is right your not going to wear it out any time soon.
We have a 110 and a 95. Both are solid machines and still in use. The broken engine cover is just Parr for the course. It's a poor design, and if the operator doesn't hook it right, it gets broken. They have the in cab pattern changer for back hoe or excavator pattern..
Another angle...what looks wrong?
Billrog, I think the price is ok...he is not giving it to me tho...I havent worked on the price yet. cuttin edge, Thanks for the comment. Glad to hear you say they are solid. I saw a you tube video that showed the broken cover...It sucks that they didn't stay with the steel that they used in the 80's.
Looks ok now just light,shade and rust made it look funky
The New Hollands I have operated have been good machines. No major issues as long as they have been taken care of properly. Based on the pictures, it looks like the machine is in relatively good shape and should last a long time for private use on an acreage with proper maintenance. I would recommend you operate it in both loader and backhoe modes, as many functional issues will not be shown until a vehicle gets operated and hot. A couple of observations/questions I would have on this machine from the pictures (beyond the points you already noted like needing tires), is why is the boom lock being positioned in the non-lock position in all of the pictures? It probably just that the boom has been fully pulled up via the hydraulics, but why is it not locked? I would make sure there is no surprises there. Also, it looks like the machine might have auxiliary hydraulics on the backhoe. If so, that would likely mean the previous owner used the aux hydraulics for something, and that is typically a breaker which can cause the backhoe pin joints to wear faster. As with any brand of backhoe you are test driving, check for excessive slop/wear in the hoe.
fpgm04, Thanks for the response! Your comments have been noted. I did not notice the aux. hydraulics for the backhoe. I will be sure to inspect for that when I test it.
I don't see any auxiliary hydraulics. No plumbing on the booms, and while there is no picture of the right side of the machine to show the external fittings in front of the hydraulic tank, the switch on both our machines came from the factory above the 4x4 switch.
Oh and the boom lock on that machine might be linkage. Our 675s were electric and worked well. The 110 and 95 were manual and would jam. It is a black handle lever with a red knob on top. Not a big deal if it doesn't work, just remember to set the rear bucket on the ground when parking overnight.
Cutting edge, Thanks for the post. For me, (on my CUT that has a loader and backhoe) the boom lock is handy to keep the hoe from drifting down while doing loader work. Otherwise, it is really not an issue. I normally lower the boom to the floor when parking in the garage.
Just referring to previous post that said there might be an issue with the boom lock as it is not engaged. Ours tend to jam and that might be why that one isn't locked. It probably works but you just have to jiggle the Handel.
That looks very similar to my lb75b, but in much better shape, and the hoe has pilot controls? I think I'd try to run it for a bit to see if the hour meter is working properly, the inside makes it look like 1700 hours is probably correct but tire wear tells me otherwise (except I don't know how long a tire should really last). I'm just guessing but isn't the manual boom lock maybe one of the easiest fixes on this machine? There doesn't seem to be much to it if it goes bad... For context I paid about $10-11k less for about 2700 more hours. I wish my seat looked that nice. Is the rear wheel lock pedal supposed to be that dang high? That sits like 4-6 inches higher than mine from the look of it!
hey aighead, Thanks for the response. Sounds to me like you got a real good deal! Yes, it has pilot controls. I did ask in the forum about problems with them, and really didn't have anyone condemn them. I personally have never used them, but something tells me they are nice and smooth. I plan on running it for a while, not only to see if the meter works, but also to see if any of the warm fluid problems, like a slipping trans show up. The unit overall does look clean. As far as the tires, I am not sure that the original tires are worn out. Something tells me that the L/R tire was damaged and a good used tire was put on. I will look closely when I actually look at the unit, but, to me, it seems odd that only tire is worn out...the other 3 tires seem to be worn about the same...that is another reason why I feel the bald one was a replacement. I called the guy and asked about history on the machine, and he said he had none, and this machine was on his lot on consignment...I wish I could see some service records! I really didn't notice the differential lock pedal being sooo high...you are correct, that doesn't look right. I will also be looking at the boom lock when I actually go to look at the unit...Personally, if it doesn't work, it is not a deal breaker, but it could be a bargaining chip.
If the machine is on consignment ask if you can talk to the owner. The seller certainly knows who it is. City owned machines very often have worn out tire from so much pavement mileage. If the boom is leaking down so much that it is a problem when using the loader it prolly time to reseal the boom cylinder. Unless there is leakage in the valve section that controls it.
I don't believe it matters. A good machine at a fair price sells first day. A lemon at a unrealistically low price is a scam, or cautious buyers shied away cause they saw something you didn't. Run it long before buying. Find a way to try it. Try every feature. Leaks are to be questioned. Where does it leak from? What will it take to fix? If anything won't work, think about it. I drove 9 hour round trip to look at a backhoe at a good price. I asked the seller 30 questions before I agreed to go look. I agonized whether to drive the big truck & trailer, or look first. He had it inside a heated building on a miserable day. He had a battery charger on it at the time. He started it, let it run a while. One leak from a damaged hose on a stabilizer cylinder. Massive rust on hood, floor & inner fenders, I could handle, price reflected rust. I asked if I could take it outside. He suddenly went stone deaf, couldn't hear me. I have a voice that can drown out a train. He couldn't hear me. My son & I opened the door & proceeded to move it. The brakes didn't work. His deafness disappeared!!!! Over the diesel engine he reassured me: "Brakes are not needed on a backhoe." Outside, it wouldn't move. Stabilizers would not lift the wheels off the ground, nor would the front bucket move the front wheels. Steering was sluggish. The hoe was utterly non functional. Warning lights with Hieroglyphic symbols were flashing. He went deaf again. Ultimately, I left without buying.
Tinkerer, I do not know that the boom leaks down at this point...Will test when I go to it. Willie B, I do not think there are any leaks...at least that is what I am told. Below are some youtube videos that were sent to me by the seller. The machine looks to perform well. I have watched the one where he is working the unit several times, and I do not see any play at the swing post as he loads the hoe...As soon as I get a chance, I will put my eyes on it...shooting for next friday. Thanks for the comments guys! https://youtu.be/kPabQi0qQzw https://youtu.be/9EwBg2ZA12Y https://youtu.be/8b1vR5_f5A4
Spend some time on this before you buy it. Operating a backhoe for an hour during a test drive is reasonable to me. I bought one that worked great for the 20 minutes I tested it at sellers farm. Got home with it and discovered that the clutches would slip after 25 or 30 minutes of use. Had I operated it longer this would have been discovered BEFORE I bought it.
Just a possibility on the boom lock. When I have mine in the unlocked position it remains that way with the engine running. When I shut the machine down it will close regardless of the switch position. It could have simply had the photos taken with the switch on and the engine running. My 575 boom will drift down if I don't lock it while it's al the way back. Having a working boom lock is important in my opinion.
Our 675s were automatic as well, but the LB series went to a manually operated cable. Not sure why as the type you have worked good.
Hello All, So today I went and looked at the new holland b95. I must admit I was a bit disappointed! I have worked on units with more hours with less wrong. That being said, it ran well, had plenty of power to the hydraulics, the fluids looked good, most pins had very little play. It was also dry underneath. On the down side, the ac compressor did not come on when turned on, the diff lock is screwed up and was hard to shut off (remember the comment about the pedal being real high. The parking brake didn't work, and the caliper was loose. The boom lock didn't work. several cylinders were weeping...not outright leaking. The locking mechanisms for the windows were broken and tied closed. The brake light was on, but the brakes did work well...I am thinking it was fluid level. The engine cover on the right side was all busted up and the lock was broken. The l/r tire is smoked big time, all others are fine. Both outer tie rod ends are badly worn. The front wheels had some top/bottom play (ball joints). The extend-a-hoe had tons of play. The passenger side wear plate at the bottom is outright missing. The upper plate is there but has broken bolts. so, all the above stated, it is a decent unit but it has issues. At $25K, it might be ok, but at $30k, no deal. The funny part is, they did not try to close a deal. They showed it to me, and I said thank you, and left, with out any pressure to purchase it.
You did the right thing Swetz. $30,000.00 should buy something nicer than that. John Deere 410E's sell for less than that. Unless he pressure washed that thing the boom pins were way drier than mine would ever be.I'm guessing there was some pins and bushings needing replacement to. Keep looking and you will find what you want. The way the stock market is going the offerings may increase dramatically in the near future.
Thanks for the reply Tinkerer. I didn't see the oil until I was there. I do believe it was pressure washed. Maybe the pics and video was done just after the pressure wash. Believe it or not, all pins were tight in the loader, and the hoe had minimal play except for the extend-a-hoe that was outright missing the wear pad on the r/side. My impression of this machine is that the original owner purchased it and just ran it, and thats it...as things broke or stopped working, that is how they were left until it needed a bunch of work, and off it went to be sold. In other words no maintenance and repair. 1700 (verified the clock worked) hours and it needs a bunch...very disappointing, but you guys warned me about the varying condition, and not to focus on the hours, that is why I gave it the once over. I must confess, I loved the operation of the pilot controls and the extend-a-hoe control was right on the joysticks...real sweet setup. I would still consider it at $25k but I dont feel that is possible, so onward to find some to test. I do see a 410e on facebook. I may check that one out in a couple of weeks. It is near my place in PA so shipping would be a lot less (hopefully)
I don't know much about John Deere's, But I think the 410E was the last model that had minimal electronics on it. It would be on my short list if I were to replace the TLB I have now.
I can pass along another tip on these. If the brake cylinders have been leaking for a while the rear axle oil will be overfilled. My 575 showed up with the brakes not working even though the seller told me they were okay. The fluid would leak out overnight and the rear end was 5 gallons overfilled.
NH575E, Thanks for the tip. How long have you owned your New Holland 575E? I seem to recall a post not that long ago about the seller saying the brakes were good but didnt work upon delivery...perhaps that was you. I am not sure how much difference there is between the 575E and a 675E, but there is one for sale locally that I want to look at. Says it has a little over 700 hours on it, and all the pics were taken indoors, so I am hoping it was kept indoors all its life...we shall see. It may be gone before I get a chance to give it a look. Question, Is there a drive shaft from the trans to the rear...In other words, would you have to split your tractor to fix the trans or is it like the B series that have a trans that can be removed for service without splitting?
Some Pics: In the first you can see the bolts missing for the extend-a-hoe. Next you can see the L and R outrigger cylinders. All other backhoe cylinders were similar. Front loader cylinders were all dry. The last is of the boom lock. It looks like the lock is wedged on the teardrop for the pin. The cable seemed to pull but it didnt move.
The missing bolts are for the Teflon bushings hence the lose extend boom. Earlier boom locks were not cable and worked way better. Like I said, our cable ones never worked right
Shame that one wasn't as nice as you expected Swetz! It sounds to me like 25K may still be high on it, if they were willing to talk. The place I went didn't really care if I bought it or not either and there was minimal negotiating room. May you have better luck next time!
Thanks aighead! I just found another New Holland. I want to look at it tomorrow but it is supposed to rain, so I am not so sure. I started another thread for that one.
Be aware that sometimes the seller knows the value of a flawless machine, and prices the of imperfect machines they offer to reflect that. I want to pay as little as I can. I look for machines priced low. sometimes low priced machines have flaws. Often, I am disappointed at the condition of those I drive long distance to look over.
Willie B, I dont mind flaws, but damn, with 1700 hours this thing had a lot! Like I said before, it was a tight machine and the trans worked well. Engine ran well as well but was down to the bottom on the dipstick..I think if I were going to sell a machine, I would at least make sure the fluid was topped! If it were my machine, it would have never gotten that low before I filled it.
The key phrase is "If it were my machine". Plenty of machines are not under direct control of their owners. There is a rental company nearby, it is owned by people 50 miles away. I'd guess the employees are picked up each day from a drug rehab facility. They don't appear to have plumbing they could use, don't get paid much. I rarely see an employee twice. They routinely send machines out on rental utterly non functional. A local excavator/logger had a big crew, would buy 10 bulldozers at once. Near new machines were in deplorable condition. I'm only saying a price too good to be true probably isn't. Sellers sometimes outright lie about condition.