I am in the market for a tandem dual axle gooseneck with a pop up beavertail and ramps, to haul a 15,500 lb backhoe behind my Dodge Dually. I am getting some conflicting advice from some experienced operators on what length of trailer to buy? Some recommend a 19 or 20ft deck + 5ft beavertail because they allegedly have better resale value, are more maneuverable, and have a lower empty weight which results in a higher useful load capability. Others recommend a 24 or 25ft deck + 5ft beavertail because they allegedly have better resale value, trail better at highway speeds, and give you more flexibility on load positioning/tongue loading which results in a higher useful load capability. I am confused... Also, I am noticing that you can buy a powder coated trailer for slightly more money than a painted trailer. If you are comparing apples to apples, why would anyone not choose a powder coated trailer?
I have no experience with small trailers, so am no help with the first part; here is a discussion of the pros and cons of powdercoating. (the consensus seems to be that powder coating doesn't flex enough for working beds and trailers.) HeavyEquipmentForums
Thank You very much for the powdercoating information!
I recommend avoiding powder coat for that application, when it starts to crack that is all she wrote. Take the machine and fold it up like on a trailer and think of your front bucket flat on the deck with your rear arm folded and bucket flat. Measure the distance to include hight of your machine, purchase the trailer to the highest rating you can haul or afford/ pull legal. Are you wanting a goose neck or pintle? Take into accord the deck hight also since hitting things with the boom and clearance is a factor as well.
our tag behind our dump is 25 feet and my gooseneck is 25 feet. seems to be a good size. never really wanted more length
25+5. A 20 ft flat isnt really all that much space when you start putting stuff on it. The extra 5 feet also helps with placement options on the deck. Plus 5 more feet of overall length on a 50+ ft truck and trailer isnt that big of a deal. Oh, and stay away from powder coating. fyi i have a 25+5 tandem dual and i wouldnt want anything shorter now that ive tried it. Just my opinion.
I had a 20 + 5. It worked well for me, but it would have been nice for an additional 5'.
I have a 28' flatbed with a 6'x6' deck on the neck and 12' aluminum ramps. When I replace it I am thinking I'll get a ~30' hydraulic dovetail with 17.5" tires.
I have a 30ft tandem and 25ft triple axle I use the 25ft allot more it is allot more maneuverable than the 30 but the load positioning is nice about the extra length with my.backhoe my rear is usually over loaded by a 100 lbs or so but the fact that I can do a you turn at a tight 4 way with it makes it more useful to me
Go with a 2k urethane paint. Powder coating cracks when flexed. A good urethane will be durable and look good for several years.
FYI guys this post is 3 years old. Good info tho I really like my 25+5.
Haha good call, I didn't notice
Wow I didn't even notice