Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

advice sought on case 590

fredb ยท 2011-12-27 14:54

Could perhaps somebody give me advice on a case 590 SL 2 - drawbacks, advantages etc. I have the opportunity to buy one but don't know anything about case backhoes. I don't know the year, just the serial # and I wonder as to whether one could, according to the serial # tell, what make and size of engine the machine has. From what I could see, it has the old, classic Bosch type injection pump mounted on the left side of the engine. Don't know whether it has a Turbo or not.... Thanks

Replies35
  1. #1bowen2011-12-27 19:40

    :my2c I think that series was started maybe in 1998? Not sure. Case makes good machines. I also think all the 590series 2 did have the 4T-390 turbo engine. If you can search for Case parts and get to some part diagrams it will help you determine what options the machine has. The Case website has newer models shown with some specifications etc, but I do not know if this one is listed or not. If you can post pictures, prices, etc there may be someone on here to offer advice better than me. I don't know much about this model machine.

  2. #2JS580SL2011-12-27 20:55

    Bowen is right and its a Cummins. All 580SL and 590's have turbos. Series 2 L is a great machine. I still miss the L's and alot of guys I know would agree. I know of very few problems with them. Only common prob I know of is that the muffler mount bolts would snap and would rattle like crazy. Was talking to a guy who just traded his L in with 15,000hours and the machine was all original.

  3. #3fredb2011-12-27 21:32

    Case 590 SL 2 Thank you bowen for your "2c"; unfortunately, I can't take pictures....

  4. #4fredb2011-12-27 22:25

    Case 590 SL 2 Thank you for your input, JS580SL.

  5. #5alrman2011-12-28 15:36

    Is it powershift or shuttleshift? Check front king pins for excessive movement, as well as rear hubs for that matter. How many hours are supposed to be on it? Have brakes been done yet?

  6. #6fredb2011-12-29 00:20

    Case 590 SL 2 Thank you for your lines, airman. All I have about the machine is a picture, can't physically touch it. Don't know anything else about the transmission than 4 speed forward/ reverse.

  7. #7CRAFT2011-12-29 09:26

    Get ahold of Inland Kenworth in Langley ..... or where ever it's closest to you , with the serial number .... they can give you the build sheet if you need I had an issue with a 2002 590 SM last year (belonged to a good buddy and the back-hoe control pattern had to be changed to what I ran),and those boys down there told me everything I needed to order parts

  8. #8fredb2011-12-29 23:57

    Thanks for your suggestion, CRAFT. I' ll see whether I can get a hold of somebody there....

  9. #9cgraham12012-02-15 04:08

    What's the difference? Mine is 4 spd w/ a shuttle and I've had no problems. yet... Mine is almost 10,000! I may be a bit biased, but I'm very happy with my hoe... As far as I can tell, it's basically the same as a 580, but with bigger/wider tires & wheels, longer outriggers, wider front bucket, and a little bit longer backhoe. I like the wider stance, it seems to be more stable to me. And every time I see a 580 I just can't help but think how wimpy they look with those little tires!

  10. #10fredb2012-02-15 14:37

    Thanks for your thoughts, cgraham1. I feel much the same way as you do when it comes to dimensions. You own an excellent looking machine, must take very well care of it! Incidentally, the price of the one I was after was to high for me, had to let it go... Also, I've never been a fan of Cummins; wonder what other engine options are available for the 590?

  11. #11alrman2012-02-15 16:30

    The difference between a shuttle shift (what you have) & a powershift - shuttle is generally more reliable & will last longer + you have 4 sp reverse , powershift only has 2sp reverse. 590's also have different hydraulic pump & slightly higher pressures, plus a few more horsepower than a 580. - Give the front end loader a good days work & after 8-9 hrs & you will be looking for fuel bowser to get any more out of it for the day ......... been out to more than a few that thought they could get that last bit done & had run out of juice.

  12. #12alrman2012-02-15 16:34

    Only Cummins is available up to the 590SM series 2 then they only run Iveco.

  13. #13case 580sm2012-02-15 16:45

    Case makes a good machine, the only backhoe I'd purchase. I'ver heard good things about the 590's, but, I'm happy with my 580 super m. The L's, however are a great machine. Let us know about ur purchase, case 580sm

  14. #14fredb2012-02-17 23:15

    Case 590 SL 2 Thanks for your input, airman.

  15. #15fredb2012-02-17 23:45

    OK, Case 580sm; I've always liked Case (to the dismay of my brother, who likes J D ) but, after all, I might go for a Cat, then...

  16. #16cgraham12012-02-18 03:17

    I was checking out a Komatsu WB140 that's owned by a local contractor and I'm glad I bought a Case... it seemed like a cheap piece of crap to me. I like Case, but I think Cat and Deere are good machines, too. I found this on another forum, thought it was an interesting analysis... " I ran a Komatsu WB140 backhoe at the Case proving grounds in Arizona back in 2000 and I was not impressed with their product at all. I was working for a tractor dealer at the time and we had a product training session going on. Case brought in a John Deere 310SE, Cat 420D, Terex 760, Komatsu WB140, New Holland LB70 and a JCB 214 backhoe and we ran them against the Case 580 M and Super M backhoe (the newest model that they introduced at the time) and we each had to put them through an application. With the backhoe, we had to dig a trench, lift a precast concrete manhole section, load a truck (both with backhoe and front end loader), and run an obstacle course to test the ride control and other ride comfort features of machine. The Komatsu was probably the worst machine that I operated, very boxy, hard to feel controls, controls not as responsive, not a very powerful digging or lifting machine, poor road handling and plastic body parts, like the JCB's. I hate plastic body parts. They also went into the construction of the equipment, and how they built their respective products. The New Holland, Terex, Komatsu and JCB machines, to me, were "throw away" machines. I thought the only ones that held a candle to Case were Deere and Cat. " :usa

  17. #17bowen2012-02-18 05:54

    I think Komatsu parts are really expensive and not so available at least in this area. Cat owners might say "it's not worth a dime if it don't say CAT on the side." Case seems way more pupular here in the HEF, and would be my pick. I hope that's not just because they give more trouble..:naughty Construction equipment operates in a harsh environment and anything can be broke. Maintaining whatever you get is the key to minimizing downtime.

  18. #18fredb2012-02-19 00:20

    Komatsu WB140 comparison Interesting comparison, indeed, cgraham1.

  19. #19case 580sm2012-02-21 19:27

    Now you know why so many contractors are buying the case's, deere's, and the cat. Haven't heard too many good things about deere and cat though by lots of contractors I can't understand it - why would they buy them for, but I have yet to operate them, and test that theory. I've had 4 case backhoes in my family, and I can't stress this enough- case is the best, they are always there for parts, service, and the best deals around. There machines last the longest, and I will be always buying a backhoe from them. case 580sm

  20. #20fredb2012-02-22 00:20

    Well, Case 580 and also bowen, like I said, so far I do like the Case 590 the best, the way they're built. However, since I know Case uses Cummins engines, my interest droped sharply. I once had to overhaul a Cummins and after that I vowed to myself to never have anything to do with them anymore. So, I looking for a Cat now...J.D.has come a long way up the ladder, I'd say, since they got away from those notorious direct drive systems and use torque converters, too, now. Still, every time I look at my brother's 410 B, I just can't help but think how back-heavy that machine is....

  21. #21JS580SL2012-02-22 20:28

    We work the crap outa backhoes. I myself average 12-1500hrs a season. Run a 580SN already have over 1200hrs on it. The company we sub for is mostly deere with a few cases left. Most of the subs all have cases, few deeres, maybe 2 or3 cats, and a hand ful of the other names. Seen alota hammered machines, alota well cared for machines but cases and deere by far hold up best. All the utility crews round here are the same 9 outa 10 its case or deere.

  22. #22fpgm042012-02-22 21:15

    Fredb , Older Case backhoes used Cummins engines. Newer Case backhoes (last 10 years?) use Iveco/FPT engines.

  23. #23fredb2012-02-23 16:19

    I haven't been around backhoes much so I wouldn't have your kind of experience, JS580SL....

  24. #24fredb2012-02-23 16:22

    Thanks for your input, fpgm04.

  25. #25case 580sm2012-02-23 16:58

    ya I here what your saying fredb, and JS580SL because your ovibously right about the deere's, and cats. Hopefully it wont be long before I run the deere's or the cats. JS580SL how do you like your 580 super n?

  26. #26JS580SL2012-02-24 17:50

    Big change from the L's and M's. Hydralics feel a bit more like a deere or cat. It's very smooth but I still kinda like the feel of the L's better. Very fast hydralic and over the road. Ton of power. Im very impressed, takes some gettin use to. Much heavier and bulkier than the old machines.

  27. #27case 580sm2012-02-28 11:59

    That's good to hear because my next backhoe is going to a n when I get rid of my m.

  28. #28Yassen-TE2012-02-28 14:55

    Hm,I was sure that only European CASE backhoes use Iveco engines after 2004 year...My CASE 580 SLE (EU version,side shift,MY 2001) use Cummins 4T-390 with turbo-91 hp.The fuel consumption is unbelievable low!I didn't have any problem with it for the last 6900h.!I love it so !And the hydraulic is very fast,faster than Cat,JSB,Komatsu...I have friend,he drive Case 580 Super R.He told me that the hydraulic is very disgusting.Also he have problems with starting engine in cold weather.The only good thing is the road speed-around 42-45 km/h (26-28 miles).However,I have "L" model,friend of mine own 590 SM and we are very satisfied with it!Excellent "iron" machines . fredb ,if you want good reliable backhoe with low fuel consumption,don't run from CASE "L" or "M".Here in Bulgaria all of series before "R" are legendary!

  29. #29BlazinSS9342012-02-28 20:22

    I started out on a 580k 4 stick and never gave it much consideration till this thread how much I miss running Case backhoes. A pump and tank contractor I worked for had 3 case backhoes 580k 590sl and a 590 super m 2. All 4x4 clamshell front bucket The 590sl had more balls and grunt with both the front and rear buckets. The 590 super m2 had pilot controls AC radio deluxe cloth seat. Other then the creature comforts really didn't like it. If I was using the clamshell I couldn't Clam/curl in and Float at the same time it worked fine for the first 3-400 hrs and then poof lol. Not going to start the Cat vs Case debate. But...... I now work for a municipal water district and we have a 1999 cat 416c IT with Ford controls Yuck it's specd to the nines 4x4 clamshell front and rear buckets ride control AC radio premium seat it only has 5500 hrs on it. Really smooth machine I can set a 20 foot stick of 8" water main and not come off idle. Currently looking for a new machine I am considered the next " A"guy there everyone will be retired in 5 years so I kinda have my choice in machine when we get one Might check out a N series or a new cat but really would take a 590sl if I could have one haha

  30. #30case 580sm2012-02-29 17:01

    Go with the n series Blazin you will be happy with it very strong machines better then the m's.

  31. #31JS580SL2012-03-01 21:39

    The N will pick up a 6x12 road plate e-hoe all way out with no problem. I loaded a stack of 7x12 on the side the road onto a dropdeck trailer, did no prob but closer to the ground would have to keep the boom up and use the dipper power to lift em. Flip the power lift switch and it will do it fine with the boom. Pull a 5ft diameter manhole structure outa a 9ft hole no prob. I hate to say it with the exception of the N, the deeres and cats take the cake for lifting with the boom. Hotter she gets faster she goes. Clocked out doin 26mph with ease before. The N starts 10 times better than the M's in the cold. L's would spit and sputter a little, most of the time after a few seconds fire right up in the cold. Loader end, the N is much faster and touchier. Very powerful breakout and pushing power. The 2,000 extra pounds makes a differance to. Its a tank pushing. I really like that now with alot of weight on the front the steering wont lock up at a stop. The L and M's would only turn while moving if you picked up somethan heavy enough. The longer arms make a differance to sanding the trench or loading the truck. Like I said before I stayed with 4stick case, not a big fan of pilots for the work we do. Machine is real smooth and fast. Feels a bit more like a cat way it reacts. First 2 weeks of trenching drove me nuts with the cushioning in the swing, took some getting use to. I still think the L's were the best qaulity, simplest work horse. Fast, nimble and powerful. Couldnt go wrong with one.

  32. #32case 580sm2012-03-02 15:44

    good to know JS580SL

  33. #33fredb2012-03-02 23:15

    Thanks for your thoughts,Yassen-TE. If I would go for a new machine I would definitely consider a Case 590 or perhaps Cat, but I'm getting too old and there's not really enough work in our area here....

  34. #34rickl122020-04-20 23:13

    I have had john deer the case 590 s l is the best backhoe. I have two . They out dig any outher machine.

  35. #35Coy Lancaster2020-04-21 17:52

    Y'all need to research the "Cummins" engine as you call it. Case designed that engine in the early 80s and got together with Cummins to build this series of engines. They started a new joint venture company called Consolidated Diesel Company, CDC for short. Each company has their own version of the engine. So the engines in the Case equipment are actually Case engines.