Hi everyone. I'm buying my first excavator and looking for advice. I was going to get a tb125 but was talked out of it by a friend who thought it was way too small for my farm. He recommended at least a tb145 but I haven't been able to find the right one near CA yet. However I did find a deal on a tb53fr. My concern is that I will be digging roads, springs, wells, mucking out ponds, all on steep open terrain. I'm worried the TB53 will be much tippier than the tb145, particularly when working on hills or at longer reach which I will likely need. The 53 seems to spec about the same as the 145 except it requires 2k lbs more weight to do it. Basically I'm worried about getting a ZTS machine because I have all the space in the world. Will it will perform as well as the tb145 or should I keep just looking? Any input appreciated. Thanks, Rich
If you have any thoughts on reselling it the zero turn will bring more money.
i tried a 145 before going with a left over 53, they both dig well, but the 53 is more machine. As far as stability, they are great. I love the fr boom design, couldn't be without it. It came with a coupler, and a 2' bucket I've added a 3' bucket and a thumb. it can handle a loaded 3' bucket full of mud at full reach as long as your not too snappy. Only word of caution is that the cp wain roy style coupler isnt the best, and your going to want to change to a solid pin if you add a hydraulic thumb. they run a drilled main bucket pin standard, then when you add a thumb they just extend the pin for the lower rotation joint of the thumb. the hollow pin isnt as strong as the machines lift capacity. drill the stick, add a zerk in the back and use a solid pin. machine shop made me a new pin for $60 i think. Other than that, no problems and a very strong unit, will lift as much as a prentice 120 log loader, have safely unloaded 3,500 pound owb's from deckover trailers, demoed 2 story houses... awesome machine.
Thanks stumpjumper. What do you think about the 53 on steep hills. Is it going to be tippier than the 145? Is it going to be tippier mucking out ponds at full reach? Is the balance point apt to catch you off guard and faster than a conventional or does it feel pretty similar to the 145? Since it has the same HP will it have a harder time climbing hills since it is heavier? How much harder is it to service than a conventional? Thanks again for your input. Rich
The fr boom design keeps the weight low which is great for balance. You can run a 24" bucket on them and do whatever you want, bump to a 36" probably and still be fine, like i said Ive been running a 36 and a thumb. They climb as well as any other excavator, I leave my blade downhill and lever up with that. Its not uncommon for me to run outa leveling with the blade and be at a slight downhill angle. Service isnt too bad, the cab tips front to access all the hydraulic stuff, the fuel filter is easy to get to. The pita is the engine oil filter, its mounted on the outboard side of the motor, pretty close to the counterweight, hardest part is getting the new one started. And it isnt the worse design in the world but would be nice if it was remote mounted like the ones on the skidloaders, but at least you dont have to tip the cab to change the oil.
both good machines however as truly said the zero swing will hold its value better and once you keep the blade behind you as a jack hills wont bother you the tb145 has a magnificent reach and serious digging power at reach with the 36 bucket and very smooth to drive