Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice wanted on track loader.

Huband1 ยท 2015-10-15 01:34

Hoping to get some advice on what sort of machine to buy. I am a homeowner not a contractor. I have bought a 2-1/2 acre lot and cleared 1-1/2 acres of treed land using the EX 200 I bought for the job. I have stripped all the top soil and screened it this past summer. I figure I have 1000 yards of topsoil that will need moving around. I have also brought in 500 truck and trailers of fill to level out the lot. I am building a shop this winter/spring (54 x 32), and starting the house late spring. I am not working full time on the project, and I am sure the project will take at least two years to complete. Rather than rent a loader I don't know how many times, I think I would be smarter to try to buy one and sell it when I am done (if my wife can convince me.... I am sure I would rather keep it). I have already rented a Bobcat T190 for a week for $1200 so that is the machine I am familiar with. It seems like it is a big enough machine to do what I will need to do, backfilling, trench filling, driveway grading, topsoil grading etc etc. All the work I will need it to do is on dirt and there is some slope to the lot, a total of about 20' of fall over the 400' length of it. I have had several locals suggest I would be way better off with a track loader rather than a skid steer. There is not a great deal of used product on the market at the time, but I hope with the end of summer that more equipment comes up for sale. I have seen a T190 -1200 hrs - $29K, ASV RC60 - 600hrs - $25K , T250 -3700 hrs- $20k for sale recently. From what I have read, I believe I should avoid the ASV machine due to undercarriage issues. Other than that, I feel like I should try to get a machine with less than 2000hrs on it. I don't need a bunch of repairs to do on top of trying to build a house and shop. Any advice for me? Anything to avoid specifically? What are good workhorse machines to look for, years? I would guess I will want the biggest machine I can afford, seems like something smaller than a T180/190 would be a bit too small for what I want it for. I did drive a friends machine ( a new big Bobcat with CAT controls) and loved it, but it is a $90k machine and that is not in the cards. I am guessing that the foot pedal / hand control version is more mechanical and is likely to be more reliable. I do plan on keeping the excavator to do the bulk moving of material, than sell it when I am done with it. I am a fix it yourself guy, and would be able to take on repairs as needed, would not be calling for service to change fluids or replace tracks etc. New to track loaders and hoping to hear from the voice of experience. Thanks, Alan

Replies6
  1. #1Huband12015-10-15 02:55

    I should also include what I am considering budget wise, I am hoping to not have to spend more than $25,000 CAN for this purchase.

  2. #2KSSS2015-10-15 09:41

    Track machines can bring an incredible amount of productivity to the table. They also can bring some amazing repair bills. If you lose a drive motor in your used CTL you can hit $7K easy and it happens to all of them regardless of color. As a contractor they make a lot of sense, as a home owner you have to be ready for the big out lay for tracks, potential drive motors and other costs. Since you don't have any income to offset the costs it can be a bit painful depending on how flush your bank account is. I would consider OTT instead.

  3. #3Huband12015-10-15 15:14

    Hi KSSS, what is a OTT? Is it the over the tire track?

  4. #4KSSS2015-10-16 10:38

    Yes. A couple thousand dollars and you have CTL capability (granted not as versatile), and the ability to go to rubber tires. Since you working your own property and likely not on asphalt or concrete you would probably never have to take them off. I would go that route if I were a homeowner.

  5. #5Huband12015-10-27 00:51

    The T190 apparently just sold for $28K Can. , I have just found a 2012 John Deer 323D with 1300 hrs listed at $32,500. I have searched through the forums to find out some reviews on this machine, but have not found much information. Any advice on purchase of the 323D? The other machine that somehow piques my interest is the 2006 ASV RC 60 with 450 hours listed for $23,000. Are there upgrade undercarriage parts that can improve the durability of this machine? I have read some reports that claim it to be quite a good machine except for the issue with the undercarriage. Thoughts? Alan

  6. #6KSSS2015-10-28 09:49

    I would try and find a large frame machine. More capacity, more robust machines especially if your moving a 1000 yards of material. These would include in your price range a BC T300 or T320, Deere 333, Case CT450. If your in topsoil the ASV undercarriage seems to work fine, it is any other type of soil that they start to cost a lot of money to run.