I just purchased a piece of land about 4acres. I have been looking at minis for a few months and have 2 decent choices at the moment. The first is a 2010 KX121 with cab and angle blade and 2900hrs the other is a 2008 U45 open cab and angle blade with 956hrs. The U45 was much more comfortable and ran a lot smoother and the deal is a little better. I will be taking down a small house and outbuilding, Digging a septic, and clearing an adjacent lot for another house in the future. I don’t do excavation for a living but will use the machine around my own house and help out other friends with their residential projects. The one thing that cautions me is the larger size of the U45. Has anyone run one of those around houses and/or in the woods? Does the size hinder you? or like the saying goes the bigger the better? Like to hear all opinions about either or both machines.
Try to look up the specs of a U45 and a 121, I think they are pretty close. I believe the U45 weighs around 10000lbs and a 121 around 8800-9000lbs. I have run both, the U45 is "0" tail swing, the 121 has a bit of a behind. Both machines are very capable and you could do both jobs with either machine, maybe a tad slower with the 121. Seeing you're from New York, my personal preference and me getting older and not a big fan of the cold, I would go with the cab. But, the low hours sounds good, but what kind of shape is each machine in? I've seen em beat to snot in under 1000 hours and seen em looking great with 5000 hours, all depends on maintainance and the operator.
As for these two machines they are both at the same dealer so I got to run both of them for a bit over the weekend. The 121 definitely was a bit loose and a bit banged up. and the cab at least for me just seemed to restrict my view but all the forums I have read people always say get a cab if you can. The 45 had a more comfortable seat and I think the open cab just made it seem more roomy. That machine was a single owner that purchased it from them new and recently upgraded to a KX057. It was pretty clean not too sloppy. Side by side you can definitely tell the 45 was larger, the reach is longer which would be helpful in the demo of the house. Looking around jobsites in my area though I see the 121 everywhere. I'm guessing because of their ease of transport and they seem pretty nimble
I've found similar prices onnusef 5t and 8t machines. If transportation is not an issue I'd go 8ton. I've rarely ever wanted less machine. I always want more, more reach more weight more power
I have 120hrs stick to me on a 45. It's a good machine but struggles when the digging gets tuff. Breaking through hard pan is grueling on it
Bobcat E42 here. Good size for me...at the top of the weight class that I’m able to move with a 3/4 ton pickup without a CDL. It has its limits, but does a pretty good job on most things. Hard stumping requires a little work, but doable. It constantly amazes me with what I’m able to accomplish.
I've been looking pretty hard at the kubota stuff. If you have a dealer around it may be worth a look. The e45 is damn handy I used it trenching thousands of feet of trench from 2ft yo 4ft deep it was alot handier than a backhoe. I did fab a backfill blade and fell in love with it. I had only e45 yo backfill around plumbing .
So I ended up purchasing the KX121-3 with the cab. I picked it up last week and spent Saturday changing all the oils and every filter so I didn’t get any seat time until today. First project is taking down a 1400sqft house in the property and I have to say this machine is working out perfect for what I need.
Congats, the machine looks like it was well cared for. You'll really appreciate the cab doing that demo work and not breathing in all that dust.
Not to hijack a thread- but whats the chain on the bottom of the bucket?
Its holding his straight edge on the bucket.
Ahaa. Thanks.