Hello All, O.K.! So I purchased an older model biljax xlb4725a manlift and wondering about the safety features on this as well as any of these. If a failure on the hydraulic system happens, such as a hose breaking, or a valve failing, sticking or anything breaking for that matter, is there a chance of a free falling boom that would surely be life threatening. Thanks in advance, I appreciate any info.
not positive on your exact model but all the ariel equipment that I've been around had load checks built on the ends of the cylinders so that wouldn't happen. Basically they are power up and power down, and cant free fall. System must be pressured up for movement.
One thing I would caution about operating manlifts is be careful when traveling. We had a guy moving one into position at the plant and from everything we can determine he had the basket rotated around so that he was facing the front of the unit. This meant that when he pushed on the joy stick to travel it was going the opposite direction his hand was moving the lever. Not really a problem until he tried to move the last few inches up to the conveyor. Guess he was thinking about the repairs he was going to do and when he tried to move that last bit he pushed the lever the wrong way then got confused and rammed it into the conveyor pinning him and breaking his pelvis. I think what he should have done is stop traveling and use the extend boom control to move that last bit to where he needed to be. Much smoother control of movement that the travel motors especially when operating on less than ideal surfaces.