I got my new cutting-edges in and I'm not liking the end-bits. My factory ones had a "slant" to them and these are straight. They are a brand called "CTP". I got them from a company in tenn. I'm just wondering if I should hav went with Cat parts. I have a '95 d5h with a straight blade instead of a 6-way. I like the two middle edges they sent me but not the end bits. Anybody else experienced this or have any input? I measured and I'm gonna loose 2-4" on each end of my blade.
Different end bits have different profiles. A finish bit is more straight where a GD (General Duty) bit would have more of the flair perhaps you had before. Usually there are 2+ styles to choose from when replacing. May want to double check to see if other options are available.
You need to ask for the "Hot Cupped" End Bits. It sounds like they sold you the level cut end bits. They sold you the level cut bits because they are usually cheaper.
Anyone have pictures of both? I would like to see the difference between the two and what kind of work they are made for.
These drawings may help.
That helps a lot Nige. I contacted the place where I got them and he sent me a pic and it looks like the hot cupped ones that he's gonna send me this time. The pic was from behind the dozer blade and they have a flair look to them. They are more expensive and can't be flipped either. But are supposed to be made out of heavier and tougher material. I called cat dealer and they said same thing. The ones that they sent me were finish bits but were straight on both ends of bit. Has anyone ever used these "CTP" brand bits? I hope they're a good product. I'm hardly ever in rock, just clay dirt and a lot of tree roots. Surely they'll be ok for what I'm doing.
Hey Nige, this guy give me parts #'s 3G-8321 and 3G-8322. Does these sound right for the hot cups? Thanks
Those are the ones you need. They are Hot Cupped end bits. Ignore the diagram below - I tried to delete it but failed .............
Do you have any cat part #'s for those?
I just wanna make sure I get the right ones this time because their being shipped from Florida to ky
General Duty end bits (as per the drawing above) are the Part Numbers your supplier is quoting you for. The particular Part Numbers 3G-8321/22 he's offering are actually manufactured using the Hot Cupped process. Some GD end bits are shaped cold, therefore they are not "Hot Cupped", if you get my drift. Can he supply you with photos before you place an order..?
He sent me one pic that is a pic of the reverse side of the whole dozer blade. I would put it on here but haven't figured out how to yet. I can just see that the two end bits are flaired out. He said that's the only pic he had
They sent me the hot cupped end bits and there not even close to the right ones. Their going to take care of them. There saying I need part numbers 1406787 and 1406788. He said since my blade serial number is gone, he thinks it starts with a 2bh or 4fh. Anybody have any input or access to a computer system to see if this right? Thanks. This is has been a nightmare
Do your end bits have 4 bolts or 6 bolts? Bob
They have 4 bolts
This is wierd. The supplier originally sent you end bits that fitted the tractor correctly (I assume from reading your last post they also had 4 bolts) - you just weren't happy with the amount of wear material on them as you stated in your OP. We identified them as finishing end bits and suggested you needed something with a bit more meat on them. Having sent end bits with the correct bolt pattern in the first place how in the heck did they manage to send end bits the 2nd time with the wrong bolt pattern...? This should be the supplier's problem if the material you got first actually fitted the blade. 140-6787 & 140-6788 are definitely 4-bolt end bits.
They apologized Nige and are giving me full credit on parts and shipping. I think I'm just gonna take old ends off and take them to cat and make sure I get the right thing. Does anyone happen to hav or can get a pic of 140-6787 and 140-6788?
These are some pics of my original bits
I can't get my phone to upload pics, sorry
I probably can when I get into work tomorrow morning. Here's a stupid thought. Are the old end bits off..? There should be Part Numbers stamped on the back of them.
Hopefully they will be off tomorrow by this time unless I have to heat the bolts. Don't have a torch nearby and I know how stubborn they can sometimes be. Just have a 1" impact and hopefully it does the job!
Here's a illustration of your end bit and the measurements of the bolt holes. The illustration is generic and your end bit only has 4 bolt holes so some of the measurements don't apply. The 140-6787 & 140-6788 are hot-cupped end bits. Bolt size - 3/4" Thickness - 7/8" W1 - 8" W2 - 9.6" L1 - 17.3" L2 - 20.3" A = 4" C - 3.86" D - 3.0" E - 3.0" F - 3.0"
Got the right end bit off. On back going from left to right here's what I have. 4T5407X
That Part Number 4T5407 is an Extended Wear Life (EWL) end bit. Identical in all respects to 140-6787 but it is 1" thick instead of 7/8".
The center bits I've purchased are 3/4" thick. I'll prolly have trouble matching thickness now but I guess it will be ok. I should have just took the old ones off and went to cat to start with.
Ideally your end bits should be a bit thicker than the cutting edges.
I'm gonna head to cat store in a day or two. Thanks Nige for all your help, couldn't have figured it out without you
The "EWL" are $4 cheaper than the others. I thought that was strangely odd
i have never hat a problem with CTP i have used a lot of their overhaul kits and everything else from bucket teeth to undercarriages now that you have the correct pn they should be able to send the correct edges out right away