Anybody have any experience using an aftermarket C-15 cylinder head? I see them for sale on eBay etc. Are they worth a flip? There's potentially significant savings but if they're junk it's not worth it. I have a BXS Acert that needs a head. I'm going to do a 6NZ conversion and keep the truck as a start of my next service truck. It won't see many miles. I'd be surprised if it gets 15k a year. Anybody that can shed some light on this or know of a good source for a head? Thanks guys! Junkyard
Personally I would stay away from it. There is a reason those heads are cheaper. The Cat reman head is around 3K and if there is a problem at least Cat will cover the parts-no labor. That's just my opinion I have had to many issues with aftermarket parts. And nobody likes pulling a cylinder head twice . Truck Shop
Or even once! Haha. I need to bite the bullet and get started on the motor so I can get the rest done. I talked to PDI about their manifold and turbo plus a little tune. I'll be happy to dump the twin turbos and darn intake actuators.
That Acert was a last ditch effort by Cat. We had three Pete's with that engine we didn't keep them long. The 6NZ C15's we had were damn good engines. Truck Shop
I just did that to my 2005 bsx C-15 last fall. I cant believe how much better it runs. Mine had bad turbos, so it was a good time to switch it over to single turbo and dump the intake actuators. You may want to ask around about reprograming the BSX ECM. My local diesel guy changes the ECU to the older style. (6NZ I think) Redoes the plug in so it plugs in to older style. He has had a lot of trouble getting the BSX ECM to take the new tune. Mine is set at 550hp and runs very nice. Should have done it 5 years ago.
I bought an aftermarket head for a 5.9 from Florida. Found out it is really from China, looked good, runs good. Look up the You Tube post on Chevy-Chinese cylinder heads. That explains Truck Shops statement if you find it.
I'm torn between converting the BXS to 6NZ or do an O/H on a 3406B I have and going mechanical in the truck. I'm old school like that. Funny thing is I can O/H the B model for dang near what the head and other stuff I need for the BXS would cost. I figure something will fall in my lap to help me decide. Junkyard
A c15 should move the service truck ok. Lol
Think? Lol. It's sitting on the yard with nothing to do so I might as well use it. 05 Kw W900L, 475, 18 speed, 46k full locking rears. Just about the right wheelbase as it sits once the bunk is off. Can't have too much power can you? PDI says with deletes and a more or less stock time it'll put 525 to the ground. To more merging issues in traffic!
Im thinking my next truck would be a tandem. We have more trouble on our 2017 kw than our 96 with a 3176 in it Save money on a older truck and put it towards a bigger bed.
Yep I'm contemplating building my bed and using most of my budget on the biggest crane I can afford. Can't be too big as far as service trucks go. I'd rather have a nice big crane and lots of toys than a new truck that goes into limp mode if you look at it wrong.
https://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/6007962261.html Big enough crane? Looks like plenty of box room too. No remote control though- and I think the remote would be so nice by yourself in a service truck.
I really think a knuckle boom would be almost more handy in a mechanic setting. Take something like this- https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/hvd/6051868271.html At least a knuckleboom you could also use in a building/ shop. A straight mast boom (crane) overhead height gets to be a issue in a shop.
I'm with you on the b model, you can crank that sucker up to out pull damn near anything for next to nothing compared to an electronic !!
After the last couple of years I have had with my BSX with only 400k on it I would use the 3406B. When is the last time you had someone complain about one of those not running right? LOL If it goes into limp mode, the fuel filters are plugged.
Yep the code reader is the fuel pressure, boost gauge and pyrometer. I've had several trucks with B's from the JWAC up to the last run of 425's. I love them. I'm ok setting pumps but an old Cat mechanic friend of mine can make them flat haul the mail. I'll just add it to my list of things to do. At the rate I'm going I'll be done the Tuesday after never haha
Hey Junkyard, Have you put a older mechanical engine in a newer KW or pete? Say like a 2000-2005. is it hard to get all the dash stuff to work? I realize the cruise wouldn't work. what about the rest. Not trying to hijack your thread. Sometimes I see a good deal on newer trucks with bad electronic and emission engines.
No worries, I don't see it as a hijack at all. I haven't done a swap like this yet. Gauges wouldn't be bad as I think there are mechanical or standalone electrical that look the same and would fit in the same place as the newer style that are daisychained in. Somebody might make some sort of interface to use existing dash with sensor inputs free of the ecm. Cruise could be old school add on like I used to see advertised many years ago. Or even hand throttle, that's all I ever had in my old Pete and it never bothered me for 15 years and a tick over a million miles. If I ever get caught up I'm going to tear into that old Cat and see what it looks like. Junkyard