Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aftermarket Diagnostics Tool

Kbraschler · 2016-12-10 08:41

Looking for some sort of decent aftermarket diagnostic scan tool that will do multiple makes and models. I work for a very large equipment rental company and this would be great to have for all the tier 4 stuff we're getting in. About the only thing I found was by TEXA in a kit sold at diesellaptops.c om. It seems like a good kit, but is pretty expensive. Anyway, thanks in advance for the input.

Replies29
  1. #1Junkyard2016-12-10 09:55

    Based on my experience you get what you pay for. To really dig in and get codes, clear them etc you need brand specific software. I've tried several different "universal" readers and was disappointed. I haven't bought a loaded laptop but that's the way I'm leaving. The preloaded setups are a little more truck related. There are several guys on here that deal with that stuff hopefully they'll chime in and give you some direction. It will boil down to budget and how much you want to do with it. Hard to beat SIS/ET for Cat, TONS of info there. That's the one I'm most familiar with. Junkyard

  2. #2Kbraschler2016-12-10 10:04

    Thanks for the response. I would definitely agree that the dealer specific equipment is the way to go, but we literally have ~30 vendors for construction equipment alone and to have all their scan tools would not only be cost prohibitive but combursome to field techs. Hopefully someone has maybe heard of something. Since the Tier 4 equipment is becoming more standardized, using the J1939 standard for CAN bus, I think that there should be a viable solution out soon, if not already.

  3. #3John C.2016-12-10 12:05

    I don't know of any multi-brand diagnostic readers for the heavy equipment industry. There is no government entity that can force standardization across manufacturers like there are for cars and trucks. The new stuff coming on line includes the diagnostics in the machine with access through the standard monitor panel They not only give you the code but they tell you what the code means. Some of the stuff will allow things like calibration. So far as I've seen though the really tough stuff will take a laptop and special software. My thought process leans toward something that requires that level of expertise should be something covered under a manufacturer's warranty. Unfortunately you are probably caught in a technological no mans land. The real problem you have is an owner that doesn't have any more sense about equipment than to purchase and rent out all those different makes. Really, it costs what it costs and there is little you can do about it.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2016-12-10 12:59

    Its a friggin nightmare.. even if you do buy/get the program from the "dealer". it still wont read a lot of the time.. Volvo has to be updated every month and repurchased every year.. BIG $$.. Cat / Perkins=Perkapillar systems wont talk to each other.. & you end up lookin like an ass after driving 100 miles 1 way to scan a piece of equipment under warranty.. The only ones I know of that do work is Detroit & Mack.. and then again they're trucks and not AG machines. OH, J Deere is ok..

  5. #5Kbraschler2016-12-10 13:00

    Here's a link to what I was referring to: http://diesellaptops.com/TEXA-Const...ostic-Scanner-Laptop-Tool-TEXA-OHW-LAPTOP.htm Apparently this is going to be the only real option. In the grand scheme of things, $6500 isn't a ton of money (especially for the size of company I work for), but I was more just wondering if anyone knew of anything else. And as I said earlier, now that J1939 is becoming the standard for bus architecture among off-highway equipment, this will undoubtedly become more useful. The EPA is essentially doing to this equipment what has already been done to OTR trucks and passenger vehicles. All these companies are doing now is using the tried and true tech that's been implemented in other industries. Maybe some of you will find this device useful. I did some more research, and it appears that they're bringing a Bluetooth capable communications module that also has four channel DSO capabilities to the US market once it gets the nod from the FCC.

  6. #6John C.2016-12-10 23:38

    From my point of view and experience I have a real hard time believing that particular machine will cover all those makes and models. I'd have to see it to believe it.

  7. #7Ruger_5562016-12-14 01:05

    Truck based scan tools will talk to off-road equipment also (at least on the AG side) because communication protocols are the same. I have a Nexiq Pocket IQ and it talks to our 2012 New Holland T7, will read/clear codes and allow you to view/graph live data. It does not give you full access though, it can only communicate with the engine and transmission, no com with the display module etc... Most of this stuff has on board diagnostics through the display as well, if you know how to get into tech mode you can do calibrations etc... Yes and no, they can't lock down emissions related systems. Every oem I've dealt with is using standardized CAN bus and com adapters, our New Holland has two modules that communicate with HD standard J1939 and one that uses OBD II. There are proprietary systems you can't access without the OEM software but you're not locked out of everything.

  8. #8simonsrplant2016-12-15 09:32

    I have Texa on my laptop and I will say that for a generic multi brand tool, it is very good. It gives almost dealer level communication on pretty much everything. I would also say their tech support is outstanding. Lastly I'd add that despite my praise for the software it is my last line in defence. As said, OE is always better. I have ET, Insight, and Sevice Advisor for the main brands. Texa steps up for the remainder, and does it very well.

  9. #9jesse beiler2021-05-28 20:57

    i realize this discussion was 6 yrs ago , current off hiway multi brands is texa, jaltest,

  10. #10Lee_in_Georgia2022-01-01 08:27

    I was looking at diagnostic software and came across this thread. I work primarily on Bobcat and Deere stuff. I've tried to find a diesel repair shop here locally (Augusta, GA area) that I could pay to do the diagnostics for me, but have not had any luck. The Bobcat dealership is an option, but I imagine they would want $$$$... that's if they would do it at all. I currently need to get some injector codes flashed (or whatever you call it) into the ECM. Any suggestions?

  11. #11JD955SC2022-01-01 10:03

    you are probably going to be limited to factory software to load injector trim files into an ECM or for loading updated software in general to ECMs. Also customer level factory diagnostic software may not have the full capabilities of dealer level software. I know on the CAT stuff even the factory software can be very touchy when doing updates for ECMs. Most people who work on their stuff seem to resort to getting everything setup and then calling a dealership mechanic out to do what needs to be done with software.

  12. #12Lee_in_Georgia2022-01-01 10:10

    Thanks, JD955SC... I'll call Bobcat and see what they want to update the ECM. The T450 I'm working on right now is already on a trailer, so I guess I change out the injectors and carry it over to them for the software work. Hopefully, they won't be too expensive.

  13. #13nowing752022-01-03 12:01

    if you are on facebook there are several guys that can hook you up with dealer Software much cheaper then the dealer.

  14. #14Lee_in_Georgia2022-01-03 12:13

    Thanks, nowing75. What should I search for?

  15. #15Mike L2022-01-03 17:36

    Look up Trukkscan diagnostic software. That’s what I’m running. Is it perfect? No. Did it open a boatload of doors for me? Absolutely.

  16. #16Tenwheeler2022-01-03 21:17

    I have the Texa on and off road deal. It would not do injector trim code for a 930 wheel loader with common rail. That and some others have ran fine without resetting trim codes. Just be sure to record them if you need to have them programmed.

  17. #17nowing752022-01-07 11:01

    Lalo jm is on facebook. He can remotely put on your computer.

  18. #18Lee_in_Georgia2022-01-09 09:05

    Thanks, nowing75. Do you know if what he offers work well with Bobcat and John Deere? I worry about paying for something that won't do what I need.

  19. #19nowing752022-01-10 12:56

    not sure about bobcat. the deer program sometimes does not show the engine ecm. I have not messed with it much one of my laptops has 2 deer programs on it and was told it will do ecm. Lots of times you can access the info in the machine screen. I normally just use the program for the manuals.

  20. #20Lee_in_Georgia2022-01-10 15:21

    Thanks, nowing75 for the info.

  21. #21steven j2022-11-10 13:56

    I bought diesel diagnostic laptop from here last year never had an issue, its priced reasonably as well. mine came with the aftermarket adapter which works up to 2016, am going to buy the one with original nexiq next time as it works on newer trucks . check them out https://dieseldiagnosticdeals.com/shop . good luck.

  22. #22Birken Vogt2022-11-10 20:41

    Do they do equipment or just trucks?

  23. #23steven j2022-11-11 11:22

    both I believe.

  24. #24Wastepro2025-04-02 09:40

    Hey Just riving this thread to see what the best current options are. I checked the website Steven J posted diesel diagnostic. The site opens but the phone number is disconnected. Looking to do heavy duty international trucks, light duty ford trucks and caterpillar off road

  25. #25Birken Vogt2025-04-05 13:09

    Since my last post up there, I have bought a Texa device and dongle for my existing (older) laptop. Seems to work great for equipment. Have to pay extra for trucks but I don't do trucks ATM. User @KisstDiagnostics sold it to me. He has a phone and answers it, in fact he calls and texts once in a while to find out how I am doing.

  26. #26MarshallPowerGen2025-04-05 21:54

    @AristoTruckTech is also a software dealer on here that can get you set up.

  27. #27Tenwheeler2025-04-06 23:11

    I have the on and off road version. Have not reupped for support yet. Some times it is great other times " We do not have support for that at this time" Could not set trim codes on a 930 Cat, did not like a Paccar. Have down loaded manuals to me that were awesome at no extra charge. Can talk to some Deere engines but not the transmission or hydraulics. Could be some operator flaws involved!

  28. #28Wastepro2025-04-27 16:07

    Just wanted to post an update here on what we went with and how its worked out so far. I ordered a USB 2 Link from ebay $225. It came with 4 cds containing several software bundles. Including international, mack, volvo, OB2, 2011 Cat ET. As well as many others. I also downloaded servicemaxx for free from the internet. With the USB 2 link and servicemaxx I was able to scan my 2007 international 4300 which was in a crank but no fire situation. Servicemaxx told me exactly what electrical components were shorted and I was able to trace wires back to a overzealous zip tie job around the oil fuller tube. This had rubbed and shorted some wires. Anyways, if your working on equipment pre -2010, I could highly recommend this setup as it has already saved a $400 tow bill for us. Good luck out there Fellas.

  29. #29B0B2025-04-30 15:24

    i been looking at Katy Custom Truck Solutions. i have an older texa version but its pretty limited. not much on bcms mostly engine software. but they do have good marketing.