Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aftermarket EC and PVC controllers

Chiefdug · 2025-09-04 17:30

Hi everyone, I’m curious to find out success of not with aftermarket EC and PVC controllers. I am most interested in Hitachi EX120-2, but please don’t feel restricted to them only. I believe there are a few of us that are having similar problems with our machines, mine is basically low engine speeds and primarily my pump is at full swash angle. I have another thread specifically for my machine issues, this was just to find out more on the controllers. Thanks for you time and interest.

Replies5
  1. #1excavator2025-09-08 11:53

    I have had very little to no success with buying controllers off of EBAY. I have not dealt with Machinery Parts Warehouse recently but they have had very good prices and I have had good success with them. I bought one for an EX60-3 for less than half dealer price and it was OEM Hitachi other times they came in a plain box so no idea who built them. Google them or send them an email at [email protected] This next comment will likely get some negative response but in a lot of cases you can mix and match controllers especially the PVC. I've had EX 300s running on EX120 PVCs, they don't perform exactly as they should but it was good enough to keep operating until I got the correct one and most operators never knew I had done it. You can also use Deere PVCs in Hitachi and vise versa, ECs are a bit more restricted, with different engine manufacturers ect.

  2. #2Chiefdug2025-09-08 12:01

    THanks for the tip, I'll have a look.

  3. #3Chiefdug2025-09-08 13:12

    Regarding the PVC for a different machine, I used one for a EX200 for several years and I have a 120.

  4. #4aurora2025-09-09 05:00

    I’ve seen mixed results with aftermarket EC/PVC controllers. The biggest issues usually come from small differences in I/O scaling or CAN message handling, which can cause odd pump behavior. They may run, but not always as smoothly as OEM. Has anyone here tried logging the CAN traffic on these replacements to compare with the original?

  5. #5Chiefdug2025-09-09 10:06

    I gather that the logging you are talking about is beyond the capabilities of Dr.EX? How is it done?