Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aftermarket Glass

typ4 ยท 2012-04-17 22:28

Anyone know of a source for aftermarket glass . Specifically D model JDexcavators, cut laminated glass cracks to quickly. and plastic is not what the boss wants. I think Deere has the most expensive windows. For the record Kobelco has the cheapest replacements in the industry. Thanks Russ

Replies5
  1. #1Turbo218352012-04-18 04:59

    Contact a local autoglass shop, this seems to work just fine for us.

  2. #2excavator2012-04-18 11:41

    Unless it's curved or has a hole in it for a latch ect. you can get safety glass at your local glass shop. I've always replaced with laminated and have never had an issue. What I like about it is it does crack and not shatter like safety glass.

  3. #3alco2012-04-18 15:09

    I think he's saying that the cut glass from a glass shop cracks quickly for them, which is strange. I would almost think that whoever has been cutting their glass is leaving points on the edges which tend to concentrate stress, and cause the cracks. Excavator, I think you mean tempered glass. Safety glass, is laminated glass.

  4. #4John C.2012-04-18 22:14

    I've seen some of the glued units have a little flex in the cabs which tends to crack things once in a while. I still like the old rubber gaskets better than any of the expensive crap I'm seeing now.

  5. #5willie592012-04-18 22:52

    Deere "D" cabs used curved front glass, top and bottom. I don't think you can curve laminated glass, you have to heat plate glass, curve it, then temper it. If you find yourself needing the same glass for Deere front cabs, purchase one OEM glass from Deere, take it to a local glass shop, they'll send it of to their supplier to have one cut, bent, tempered, duplicated to the glass you provided them as a pattern.