Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

AIM hydraulic quick coupler too wide for thumb – how to shave 10mm off the inside of the thumb ears

crazydane ยท 2024-03-08 13:50

Just got my AIM QC for my TB260. Unfortunately, its 10mm too wide and my TAG thumb won't slide over it. So I guess take out the grinder and start grinding away at the inside of the thumb boss on the side with the lock pin?

Replies2
  1. #1Jonas3022024-03-08 14:02

    I'm guessing the coupler side would be easiest to put on a mill if you can find a machinist If it needs to be quick and dirty a cutting wheel on a 6 inch grinder and try your best 3m disks are the best spendy but well worth it https://www.zoro.com/3m-cubitron-6x...VGWlHAR1s9QRzEAQYASABEgIH4PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

  2. #2crazydane2024-03-08 18:33

    Turns out I could fit the thumb onto my cut off saw: It was a chore to cut and the thumb and/or saw would move as I was cutting. When I was done, I was shocked to discover I had cut off 20mm instead of 10mm. I did a little bit more than 10mm on purpose as I wanted to make sure it would slip on. I guess there was just a lot of wobble in the abrasive disk. Anyway, as it turns out, the piece I cut off made for a nice washer to make up for the gap: I suppose I could weld it back on one day, but having a thick washer should work just as well I would think.