Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Air filter melted

WA30-1 · 2024-02-04 09:58

I have an old WA30-1, checked air filter and plastic fins melted, checked inner air filter and had a hole burned in it. Can’t figure out why. Started up engine and sucking in air good. Can’t see Yao exhaust would get to filter. Help would be appreciated.

Replies21
  1. #1Nige2024-02-04 11:00

    Does the air filter have a dust ejector setup that’s connected to the exhaust.?

  2. #2WA30-12024-02-04 12:20

    Not that I’m aware of. It’s about a 73. 1 hose in from air intake pipe on back of the tractor and 1 hose from the filter housing to the engine.

  3. #3Nige2024-02-04 13:52

    Not having any experience with this particular model all I can suggest is to have a good look around the air filter housing to see if you can find anything connected to the exhaust. If not then I’m sorry I don’t have a clue.

  4. #4Coaldust2024-02-04 14:07

    I’m pretty sure that does have an exhaust powered extractor. Idk? Can you post some pictures?

  5. #5WA30-12024-02-04 16:22

    first picture, exhaust goes in top and out bottom. Not connected to air cleaner. Picture 2 air cleaner housing.

  6. #6Coaldust2024-02-04 17:58

    Out of curiosity, I looked at the parts book. Interesting. It’s obviously, sucking exhaust, looking at the secondary air filter. Or, it did at one time and those filters are the same age as Truck Shop. Oh’ hey Truck Shop. When was the last time you changed air filters?

  7. #7WA30-12024-02-04 18:22

    both filters were changed at the same time. Don’t use it very often, they probably don’t have more than 15 or 20 hours on them. Last time I checked them they looked fine, now they got really hot and melted. It doesn’t smoke and the engine temp looks good.

  8. #8Coaldust2024-02-04 18:29

    Suck up sparks from a brush pile fire? Use starting fluid?

  9. #9WA30-12024-02-04 19:22

    Never use starting fluid, turns over two or three times and starts. Never been anywhere around any kind of fire. Good thought though. Just use it around to push over and load live oaks that have died of the live oak decline.

  10. #10Shimmy12024-02-04 19:29

    We're/you're not getting the full story here. Someone has been either using a heat gun, torch, or gas-soaked rag to get that engine started. Final answer.

  11. #11WA30-12024-02-04 19:49

    no One has access to it but me, never use anything to start it.

  12. #12Shimmy12024-02-04 20:13

    And you've changed air filters since you've owned it?

  13. #13Coaldust2024-02-04 20:15

    Something lit that air filter on fire. Lucky it didn’t develop into a catastrophic fire.

  14. #14Acoals2024-02-05 09:34

    Cigarette?

  15. #15clueless22024-02-05 11:16

    Any chance the engine ran backwards for a short period of time ?? Opinions on that theory are welcome AFAIC !

  16. #16Welder Dave2024-02-07 02:17

    Exhaust leak or maybe leaves or something on the exhaust manifold catching fire and getting sucked in the air intake?

  17. #17OzDozer2024-02-07 02:33

    It's all too obvious. Aliens found your WA30-1 one dark night, their Friend-or-Foe ID systems determined it was a threat, they zapped it with a Ray Gun, and they flew off before it could attack them in response.

  18. #18farmerlund2024-02-07 14:41

    This is my thought also. I had a old D7 years ago, it ran backwards a couple times.

  19. #19kshansen2024-02-07 14:51

    Well looking at the picture labeled img_6359 that filter was burning pretty good. You sure there isn't a bad exhaust leak near the air intake? If, like you say, it's been used to push around or load trees only thing I can say is a bunch of dry leaves caught fire and got sucked in the intake

  20. #20Welder Dave2024-02-07 20:58

    We think alike.

  21. #21cuttin edge2024-02-09 18:56

    I vote for running backwards. I did it to a mack truck once. It stalled and ran backwards before I realized what was happening. Talk about dust.