Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Air hammer on a hydraulic fitting?

barrelroll · 2022-12-16 11:34

I had never heard about this trick till recently. What's your technique for using an air hammer to get stubborn hydro fittings loose? The other day I was working on a schwing concrete pump with wonderful DIN fittings covered in concrete mixed with underground mine goo. To tighten them it's usually everything you have on a 46mm wrench after mixing the goo with heat cycles getting them loose isn't easy. I grabbed my 46mm wrench, no movement, used an hammer with a straight punch bit to hit the fitting while someone pulled on the wrench. It seemed like it mangled the nut on the din fitting slightly though they broke free effortlessly. Are you actually trying to spin the nut/ fitting with the air hammer or just shock it while you have a wrench on it? Are you using a chisel bit or a straight punch bit? Any other tricks on how you will stubborn fittings out with an air hammer would be greatly appreciated. After buying a decent air hammer and bit set I've been finding all kinds of uses for it to do things better and faster with less wear and tear on my body.

Replies25
  1. #1Tones2022-12-16 17:29

    Hitting hydraulic fittings with a hammer is a very old trick. Another one is use an impact gun on a crowsfoot spanner (wrench).

  2. #2Vetech632022-12-16 17:32

    I think that was a trick from the caveman days lol

  3. #3Coaldust2022-12-16 19:43

    Barrelroll, What hammer did you get? I’m looking for a new one.

  4. #48V712022-12-16 19:51

    I use it more than my big angle wrenches. Also works very well on hydraulic cylinder gland nuts. Just use a little caution not to tear things up. It also helps to get a whip hose.Don’t buy the cheap bits. There are some nice set ups for fan clutch as as well that are really handy.

  5. #5Shimmy12022-12-16 20:49

    Coaldust, IMO there are 3 options. https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Pneu...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001419395998&psc=1 https://www.autotoolworld.com/Inger...term=4584894775943782&utm_content=Ad group #1 https://getagripandmore.com/products/snap I have the Snap-on. It is pretty legit. However, I have seen a CP717 in action as well. I don't own one, so I'll say I'm not qualified to pick it over the Snappy. I will say you will be impressed with the 3050.

  6. #6JLarson2022-12-16 23:33

    Long blunt taper punch bit, steady it up on the edge of the fitting and blip the trigger, usually you just have to knock it loose then wrench or hand turn it off.

  7. #7MarshallPowerGen2022-12-17 00:14

    I liked my Snappy when I had it, but the CP717 makes the PH3050 feel like a toy.

  8. #8barrelroll2022-12-17 01:05

    Snapon PH3050, caught it on sale. I can't remember exactly how much off though I want to say $100. It works great compared to my cheapie IR and has survived a year in a mine. I also picked up a kit of 5 air hammer bits on sale from the snappy man in a pouch. I give them no mercy beating on concrete pump poppets and seats and my rep just hands me another. My coworker bought the big snappy air hammer bit set on sale and paid under $100 for the air hammer as a package deal.

  9. #9Bluox2022-12-17 06:11

    While most hammers use a .401 shank tool the CP uses a .498 tool which are a lot more expensive and harder to find and not as many choices. I have an old one and it is great to move pins, bought it at an auction 45 years ago for 25 bucks with a box of tools for it. Saw a set of crow foot wrenches to use with an air hammer to loosen hyd. fittings. Bad Bob

  10. #10Vetech632022-12-17 07:51

    I prefer my Ingersols. I have 2 of them and they are both over 15 years old and still going

  11. #11Old Doug2022-12-17 08:05

    I work with a older guy he used a air hammer a lot . Every one in the shop said about the same thing all these years not knowing what it could do.

  12. #12Shimmy12022-12-17 08:24

    So does the Snap-on. Not sure on that IR.

  13. #13JD955SC2022-12-17 10:02

    take a look at the IR 119Max. The kit bits are soft cheese but the air hammer hits hard. I have its predecessor the 118Max and it’s a great air hammer. This is their top of the line one.

  14. #14mitch5042022-12-17 11:00

    This guy has a few other videos on air hammers, and a bunch of other interesting stuff.

  15. #15MarshallPowerGen2022-12-17 12:50

    AJAX offers a really good selection of USA made .498 bits, and I know Astro is working on expanding their bit offerings. https://www.ajaxtools.com/store/zip-gun-chisels-and-accessories/?F_ValueIds=58 I recently spotted those through Matco, and after some digging found they were made by LTI. I'm interested if they don't spread too easy. https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/LT1900/10-PIECE-SAE-SHOCKIT-CROWFOOT-SET/ https://www.tooltopia.com/Lock-Technology-LTILT1900 The Astro .498 hammer is plenty powerful, but only has an on/off trigger versus the CP717 which has a variable trigger like other air hammers. With the Astro you end up needing another regular air hammer with a trigger you can 'feather' for the smaller stuff. I bought an Astro to go with my PH3050 before I found a good deal on a used CP717, then sold the Astro and Snap-on since the CP717 had it all covered. If y'all couldn't tell, I'm a fan.

  16. #16barrelroll2022-12-17 13:14

    The snapon uses the .401 tools. I wish snapon offered the bigger .498 tools. No questions asked warranty on air hammer chisels and in stock replacements on the truck made buying snapon air chisels a no brainer for me. I think they all break down when hitting extremely hard parts. Might as well buy 1 set for life instead of attempting to warranty other brands or replacing them a couple times a year. That's the guys I work with. Before I bought one I had never seen one used here. Next air hammer related purchase is a set of bearing and race drivers with an air hammer bit. It's a back saver, I'd rather work smarter, not harder. Concrete pump poppet seats and stuck pump sleeves are 2 jobs it's come in super handy on. Hydro hoses is a 3rd spot I've been using it. I haven't rebuilt a pump bearing assembly in a while though will for sure use it on that. I did pick up this kit https://shop.snapon.com/product/Air...terchangeable-Tip-Air-Hammer-Bit-Set/PHG1540K which is nice for things you don't want to destroy.

  17. #17JLarson2022-12-17 19:21

    We buy Ajax or Mayhew bits usually. If I have something the .401 hammers won't un do it either gets one of those mini air jackhammers we run off a tow behind or it needs to meet Mr. Torch

  18. #18JLarson2022-12-17 19:33

    The air hammer fan clutch kit is a must too if you ever have to do fans on pickups and service trucks.

  19. #19terex herder2022-12-18 08:59

    .498 shanks only, the first time you use one you will want to throw rocks at the .401 shank hammers.

  20. #20crane operator2022-12-18 09:50

    This is going to cost me money. I really like the looks of that crowfoot set, and I've got two crane swivels coming up, that have to get done.

  21. #21Bluox2022-12-18 11:18

    Note the sizes of them and the sets that were pictured don't have a punch in them. Bad Bob

  22. #22mks2022-12-18 14:44

    Have only used the o2 sensor removal tool, 994 I think. It works well.

  23. #23Acecadet2022-12-18 17:25

    I love my “linear wrench” nothing better on large JIC and ORB fitting where a wrench won’t fit and a service wrench doesn’t have enough leverage.

  24. #24nowing752022-12-21 12:11

    for the small jobs

  25. #25nowing752022-12-21 12:14

    We called them screw busters. Use them when taking panels off airplanes that have tones of screws in them that are Philips head,sucks drilling out the titanium ones.