Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Air tool hoses?

chidog ยท 2026-08-16 03:52

You sure don't get what you think with an air hose. 1/2 inch ? Sure with the swagging restriction and the connector restrictions. What say all you?

Replies10
  1. #1Tinkerer2026-08-16 07:07

    Doesn't seem to me to be problem if it delivers enough volume and pressure for what need.

  2. #2DDoug2026-08-16 11:10

    Move up to 3/4" hose and dixon style gladhands. Like most jackhammers and pretty much every sandblaster uses.

  3. #3Coaldust2026-08-16 13:31

    For all the airs.

  4. #4chidog2026-08-16 15:16

    I don't think I could pick up 100 feet of that hose. Are the glad hands fixed or do they swivel?

  5. #5John C.2026-08-16 16:01

    I've only ever used 25' sections of air hose. My air compressors were also turned up to 150 PSI as well.

  6. #6chidog2026-08-17 01:49

    I think new this compressor was set at 175 psi, I turned it down to 150 and that was many years ago. Short sections would work but just more $ to accomplish the needed length, and more of the connector restrictions to go with it.

  7. #7Tinkerer2026-08-17 07:04

    I just encountered the same problem with a new natural gas flexible hose for a generator. I bought a 1/2 inch id hose and the fittings reduced the id to 3/8". A 3/4" id hose will be delivered tomorrow.

  8. #8HarleyHappy2026-08-17 11:07

    These days you have to be very careful on what you order for any fittings. Generally, they do list the ID but only on the hose, not the fittings.

  9. #9chidog2026-08-17 14:13

    All I can say is yes the 1/2 hose and its restricted fittings work better for the 1" impact than the smaller 3/8 hose would. Did what I needed. In this hose even before the fittings are added to it, the opening down in the male thread is reduced to almost 3/8ths due the swagging operation on the end. I have not measured the ID of any fittings or hoses just guesses at the diameters.

  10. #10HATCHEQUIP2026-08-18 16:15

    Their are some engineers on here that can tell this better than me but a short or quick smaller id such as a valve or connection doesnt affect flow the way you might think it would.