I say I need help with and air “valve” but I’m not sure that is exactly how I should refer to it. I have a valve that is leaking on my Volvo VHD 10 wheeler, it’s a Wabco and I have numbers but the parts house wants me to bring it in but I don’t have time to take it off, go in, find out they don’t have it, blah, blah, blah....I’ll post some pics, if anyone can point me in some kind of direction that would be great...I’m thinking it could be a tractor protection valve but I’m not sure....
More pics
That's a service brake relay valve, roughly the same as a R-12 valve but I can't see where the rest of the air lines are going. The top port should be a control port, the middle ports with pushlock fittings should be supply the two with hoses going to service brakes on air cans are delivery. It would be deemed a horizontal delivery valve. I looked on a Wabco site and turned up nothing but I'm sure that valve is readily available through any dealer because Wabco is used on damn near everything anymore.
https://www.meritorpartsxpress.com/...urlRequestType=Base&langId=-1&catalogId=10001 Wabco part S9718991520 Its basically what applies your brakes, "relay valve" - looks like its ABS controlled also- more complicated than the old style.
Shoot- Truck shop beat me to it.
ABS-EMS
Thank you guys very much, I really appreciate it. The part # kind of matches the id plate. If there’s an id plate why not have a number any idiot can look up, when I say idiot, I referring to myself. Seems like it’s just a matter of knowing what you’re looking for.
If it is leaking out of the exhaust port on that relay valve, it may not be the relay valve that is bad. You may have a brake chamber bad, and air is leaking from the emergency/ parking brake side of the brake can, to the service side of the can, which will then send air out of the exhaust port of your relay valve. If you disconnect the two lines that run to each brake chamber, and your leak is now on one of those lines, that brake can is the problem. this guy is showing it on a foot valve, but its kind of the same thing, the valve may not be the problem.
Thank you both, I will definitely get into checking by pulling those lines...I really appreciate all the knowledge that is shared here and the fact that people actually take time out of their busy schedule to "help" someone out on a forum....not many places like here on the old interwebs.....thanks again.
Just wanted to update....it was the valve and not the air cans. Thanks for your guys help in figuring it out!
Just use a pair of welding Vise Grips with the swivel pad ends and clamp off the service hose on each brake air chamber, you will hear the exhaust port on relay valve quit leaking. And you have found the bad air brake chamber in seconds.
That's how I did it.....and I thought I was being lazy not removing the lines.....