Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Airarc, my new favorite tool

RobVG ยท 2015-06-26 13:03

I tried an airarc that was laying around the shop ten years ago. Didn't really like it since I used a torch and grinder for 10 years before that. I used it again a couple months ago on something I couldn't get a torch into. It worked well. Yesterday I had to replace a corner shank, the airarc made quick work of it with less slag. Also it was hot out and it doesn't generate much heat at all. That was nice. It's time to hit the boss up for a new compressor for the truck so I can run it in the field.

Replies25
  1. #1lantraxco2015-06-26 13:54

    I had roughly the same experience years ago, still have the torch hangin on the wall. In practiced hands they're like a scalpel!

  2. #2RobVG2015-06-26 14:26

    I did have a problem seeing where the two pieces met. At this point I cant "wipe" one piece from the other like you can do with a torch. I wouldn't use the airarc to cut a nut off of something where you need to save the threads.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-06-26 14:53

    I'm no artist and I haven't picked one up in years, but I do remember that when everything is working right you can see the dividing line. Might need to adjust your helmet shade some. Yeah, I used to be pretty good at burning nuts off bolts or studs with a torch without doing more than the occasional nick to the threads. I don't think the air arc would be as good for that, with the torch you can feather the oxy and it just seems to have more subtle control.

  4. #4JD955SC2015-06-26 15:01

    I've watched our welder using one but haven't got the chance to try it yet.

  5. #5RobVG2015-06-26 16:32

    I had to cut the inner race on the steer axle spindle on one of our trucks. It had welded itself to the spindle. Used a welding tip and varied the oxy. Not a scratch. With a lot of hand sanding and tool makers ink was able to get the new bearing on.

  6. #6Queenslander2015-06-26 17:54

    I recently saw one of these in action for the first time and was most impressed. What is the minimum welder and air power required?

  7. #7nowing752015-06-26 19:53

    Depends on the size rod. 300 Amy on 3/16 works well. Have a 30 cfm comp on truck and has no problems

  8. #8willie592015-06-26 20:02

    I use one frequently. As with any tool, they have their place, and there's situations a different method works better, but definitely a tool to keep in ones arsenal. I don't know the minimum air required for the various diameter rods, but I do know you don't want insufficient CFM delivery, this will carburize the metal being cut which impregnates carbon into the molten metal. When that happens the gouger or even a torch won't burn it, either have to beat out the slag with a chisel or grind the cut.

  9. #9RobVG2015-06-26 20:47

    ArcAir K4000. Runs great at 220 with 3/16 rod. 90 psi. Shop compressor is 17 cfm, 80 gal. The torch has an on/off button for the air so your not using it all the time. Oh, don't forget to turn the welder to CC.

  10. #10kshansen2015-06-26 21:02

    We had a guy who did the welding in the shop for years and I would have to say he was nothing short of an artist with the AirArc. He could cut a bucket apart in short order and it would almost look like it was machined apart! I've seen other guys spend hours hacking away at something with little progress. I just hated when the AirArc was being used as the noise bothered me and the iron dust in the are irritated my breathing some thing bad.

  11. #11willie592015-06-26 21:15

    Yep, it's a noisy process. I always wear ear plugs when using a gouger.

  12. #12lantraxco2015-06-26 21:51

    Iron dust, free carbon, and ozone. Always use with plenty of ventilation, and if they don't annoy you as much as they do me, a dust mask. Love the new welding helmets with cool filtered air supply!

  13. #13dabsfabs2015-06-28 13:51

    Would'nt be with out mine, where in workshop or out on site. In workshop usually get banished outside if weather ok. Because of noise and dust. Time saving when unpicking fabricated items is, cheaper to use than grinding, cutting discs and gas.

  14. #14DDoug2015-06-28 19:10

    Where they shine is when someone has repaired it before, and used stainless rod...air arc unlike oxy, cuts thru it all.

  15. #15Randy882015-06-29 19:31

    Love mine for what we use it for, but that describes about any tool you can think of. Big welder, high cfm's and don't look back.

  16. #16kshansen2015-06-30 20:20

    Very true wish Billy, the welder who retired a few years back had been able to train someone before he left. Seems he could take the sides and cutting edge off the bucket of a 6 yd. loader in just a few hours. A quick bit of grinding to clean things up and start reassembling it in the morning. Since he left no one seems to know how to work the tool. I could go on about management not doing their jobs but.....

  17. #17RobVG2017-10-03 23:14

    Had a job to do in the field Friday and knew it'd be hard to get a torch in there. Figured what the heck, I'll bring the Airarc. The compressor in my truck is a twin tank, twin cylinder, 8 hp Emglo. Didn't really think it would work but it did. It had a hard time keeping up though. Kicked on about every 10 seconds. Now the Airarc has a spot in my truck.

  18. #18JPV2017-10-04 00:14

    I love mine, I am way better with it than a scarfing tip on the torch but use that quite a bit also. It is a good way to clear the peanut gallery out of the shop when everyone is standing around BSing and I am trying to work!

  19. #1992U 34062017-10-04 11:02

    Never used an airarc. Companies around here don't even want us to have torches because we're not "welders" so apparently that means we aren't qualified lol. I have used a thermal lance a few times to burn out track bolts on EX1200 track shoes (the thick cast ones) and it worked wicked.

  20. #20DARO2017-10-16 13:06

    Try a thermal lacnce ( oxygen lance) to cut off bucket sides, lip, shanks. Ect A little expensive but really really fast

  21. #21Tones2017-10-16 19:29

    I had a mobile welder do some work for me. Part of the job required gouging. He used a plasma cutter hooked a compressor, same as a air arc. The beauty of his setup was that it didn't need a industrial size generator or compressor, a 8kva gen and compressor powered with a 5hp engine, not sure of the CFM's did the job. It was one of the cleanest cutting jobs I have ever seen with minimal cleanup.

  22. #22ScottAR2017-10-17 01:06

    Some of the newer plasma cutters have a gouging function. Change the tip and flip a switch and your gouging. I'm not sure on brands etc.

  23. #23Ronsii2017-10-17 02:13

    I've used my plasma for gouging many times over the years, have a couple of the thermal dynamics cutmaster 60 and a A120 to really use these you need a minimum 10/12kw plus ~9cfm but they will run on less if you turn down the amperage. It is way quicker than a grinder if you need to remove a lot of stock and smooth things up a bit.

  24. #24FSERVICE2017-10-18 22:34

    I couldn't get by without mine, BUT I wouldn't replace my torch with it , the torch has its place in the truck also!!

  25. #25dabsfabs2017-10-19 05:58

    Used plasma gouging a while back, no where near as effective as carbon arc gouging. Only truoble is have a big enough air supply. As can't seem to smaller carbon arc hand pieces over here in the UK.