Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

airco dc diesel welder field flash

typ4 ยท 2012-05-15 23:49

anyone have any info on doing this? I have used this machine for years and it wont self excite , there is no procedure in the manual. I have a cylinder rod eye to weld on in the morning and really need some advice. Thanks in advance Russ. cell 503-476-2197

Replies4
  1. #1td25c2012-05-16 06:29

    Not familiar with the Airco model but I have two Miller gas drive welders.Most of the time its the brushes.One time I was having the same trouble you are now and the brush itself was ok but had became stuck in the holder over the years,took it apart, freed it up and went back to welding.Another thing to check is broken wires,mice love to build nests in portable welders and Wabco motor scrapers and chew up the wiring.Good luck on the repair typ4.

  2. #2typ42012-05-16 09:36

    wiring is perfect and thr brushes are fine, thats what has me puzzled, I found the manual we have but it says nothing about field flash just brushes, so I will try across the field with a seperate batt like an old generator, this welder is old enough it doesnthave auto excite. Thanks

  3. #3OldandWorn2012-05-16 12:06

    Has it been an extra long time since you have used it? I have a generator that will normally self excite but if it has been sitting too long it will loose its residual field magnetism. Normally if I put a load on it or quickly short the output it will come to life.

  4. #4typ42012-05-16 23:59

    I will rephrase, th ewiring was not perfect, one lead had corrosion down it and separated in the middle, works awesome. Thanks for the suggestions Gotta love the oregon weather and copper.