Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

airman ax 20u-3 starting problem

waynard ยท 2013-02-12 21:16

Hi all Newbie here with a question. I have a isuzu 3ye-1 engine in my mini. When I try to start it up, the glow plugs run momentarily, then I get an alarm, then it starts, but shuts off immediately when the key is returned to the run position. (incidentally, if I hold the key just off the starter position, not letting it come back to run, it keeps running) Does it sense low oil pressure perhaps? If so, where is the sensor and how do I test it? Or, perhaps it's something all together different? :Banghead :Banghead tnx

Replies6
  1. #1mikebramel2013-02-13 16:43

    Make sure that you still have power coming out of the switch when the machine is in the run position. Then follow it back after that

  2. #2waynard2013-02-13 17:53

    ok so the terminals on the back of the ignition switch are marked Power, R1, R2, BR, ACC, and C. When I turn the switch to 'on' there is power at ACC and R2. The glow plug timer starts, the fuel pump comes on, and an alarm sounds. Anyone have a wiring diagram?

  3. #3mikebramel2013-02-13 18:03

    Is there power to the fuel solenoid and does the fuel solenoid move when the key is on

  4. #4waynard2013-02-13 18:51

    without going back over to the machine, I'm going to guess that fuel is not the problem. It runs just fine, if I start it up, and let the key come back just far enough to disengage the starter. Throttles up and down just fine. But if I let the spring tension return the key to the 'run position, it quits.

  5. #5Delmer2013-02-13 22:53

    apparently the fuel solenoid works when the key is at start, but does it work at run? what terminals have power at the start position? (disconnect small wire at starter, or any other switch that disables starter) WAG:it's either the ignition switch or an engine protection shutdown. I know which one I'd check first. Well maybe check the oil and coolant first? then the switch...

  6. #6joeblow2013-02-16 13:00

    The key switch is pooched