Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Alarmstat Work-Around (Bypassing) – CAT 3208 with Kysor 1002-04870

Scout_1969 ยท 2012-05-21 20:43

Background: While swapping out a CAT 3208, I broke the alarmstat at the threads going into the timing cover It's a Kysor Cadillac Alarmstat, 1002-04870, stamped 210 (degrees I believe) with 3 wires. Cannot find one reasonably priced IMHO, locally about $175, so I am waiting to find one online cheaper Questions: Is there a work-around for temporarily bypassing the alarmstat? Do I just need to keep an eye on the coolant temperature?

Replies5
  1. #1Scout_19692012-05-26 06:03

    Any advice would be appreciated. We should get the engine back in this weekend and until I find a better solution, I will try wiring the broken top back in.

  2. #2willie592012-05-26 10:44

    Is there just two wires going to switch? The basic Kysor shut down system uses two switches, one for water temp if engine gets too hot and one for oil pressure if pressure drops, to shut down engine in either of these cases. If there's just two wires at that broken switch, just join the two wires and you'll bypass that switch.

  3. #3Scout_19692012-05-26 17:26

    It's a three wire.

  4. #4Scout_19692012-06-01 06:50

    I'm gonna try to figure this out this weekend and hopefully get the truck running, so any help would be appreciated. There's another sensor with wires, back on the fuel connection in the rear of the motor that a small brass post has snapped off. There's another beside it that is ok. I don't want to ruin anything of course, but I may have to run without these for a while. Can they be bypassed without doing harm to the engine?

  5. #5willie592012-06-01 19:52

    Yes, it can be bypassed without doing harm to engine. The Kysor alarmstat system is a layer of protection for an engine by providing automatic shutdown in the case of high water temp or low oil pressure. As long as you have working oil pressure and water temp gauges, and that you monitor them, you'll be operating vehicle like most other vehicles that do not have auto shutdown system. It's been a long time since I've messed with one of those systems, but the basics of what it does is run the wire that powers the fuel shutdown solenoid through those pressure and temperature switches. All you have to do is turn on ignition and find the hot wire, don't know whether it will connect to oil pressure switch first or temp switch, but once you find your ignition wire, simply route it to the terminal on the fuel solenoid on injection pump.