So I want to share the entire story in case it matters with this issue. A few days ago we replaced both Steering Cylinders, refilled the hydraulics with Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic fluid from Tractor Supply (worried now I picked the wrong stuff) Everything was working perfectly. Ran it yesterday for 2 hours with no issues, ran it today for 2 hours and the hydraulics all just stopped dead. I waited about 2-3 hours and went out and started it to see if they were working again and nothing. The engine starts up just nothing Hydraulic moves. Any and all suggestions please?
Hydraulic pump splines stripped out where it connects to the crank?
Wouldn't I need to pull out the Hydraulic pump to see this? So I just found out that he was digging a small ditch and said that the unit started acting a bit like it was struggling to dig the ditch right before it stopped.
It is still full of hydraulic oil, correct ? Did you change the hydraulic oil filter after doing the work on the cylinders ? I would remove the hydraulic oil filter and then carefully cut it open and look for shiny pieces of metal in it. If it is clean then the splines are most likely stripped as Tags suggested. Or the pump has failed. Yes it will have to be removed.
Okay so I got the cover off and where it connects is attempting to spin but spins a bit and stops. Now I am really lost.
So the splines are probably stripped on the pump, it's trying to spin but once it builds pressure the splines are not grabbing anymore. I think if you search the threads for "hydraulic pump splines stripped" you'll gat an idea on how to proceed. I've never had to do it but have read posts about it....
Send me your email address in a PM (private message). I will send you the pump removal instructions that is in the service manual.
Thank you!
Curious what causes the issue and the fix.
The splines wear out because there is no way to grease them. Even if the spline is greased when assembled dust works it way into the connection and dries it out.
You are positive it's full of fluid? If it's too low nothing will work.
Sounds like the spline is a common issue that could break eventually.
x2 on the splines on the coupler. Another thing to check in the same area is to make sure the bolts didn't back out or snap off where the pump shaft bolts to the flange on the crank. Should be 4 bolts in a square pattern. On my 590, you can open the hood with the engine running and see the pump shaft and coupler way down there. There is enough visible on the pump side of the shaft to see if it is turning along with the engine side.
From that description it is definitely the splines, make sure you have a good look at the coupler part too once you get the pump out.
Thank you everyone! What is your recommendation on where to order the parts?
When I have replaced the case pumps on TLB's I just went to the dealer and they had everything I needed.... however others on here that do this all the time may have better suggestions especially for the pump cause the dealer isn't usually the cheapest place to get stuff... but a lot of things are dealer only.... and when I want the 'right' parts the dealer is my first choice
So we drained the hydraulic and removed the pump and yes the splines are tore up. I cannot seem to find anyone that sells just the new splines or a rebuild kit for that matter. However an even more disturbing thing occurred. While trying to drain the hydraulics we located a brass looking plug (temperature sensor) mistakenly thinking it was the drain for the hydraulic fluid. Took it off (no wires connected to it) and nothing came out???? Shouldn't there have been oil or something spewing out? The wires were dangling capped off underneath. Any input on this? We have since found the correct plug for the hydraulic fluid. By the way thank you everyone who replies. You guys are amazing!
Any CNH dealer should be able to get the input shaft and the female part of the coupling. The input shaft is quite expensive. But with that many hours on the pump I would suggest that you replace it. Here is the parts book list. But I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the part number. You have to determine it yourself. https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...N¤cy=#epc::mr7985739ar951551bi4723366-7
The 'temp sensor' or whatever it is.... could just have a bunch of crud in there blocking any fluid from coming out.... grab a wire/coathanger/welding rod and carefully push into the opening to clean it out.... with that said since I assume you pulled the 'sensor' from the transmission area it could also be a switch or something??? got any pics??? a picture is worth a thousand words in trying to convey meaning