Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Allis chalmers engine swap gas to diesel? Will it work?

10hotrod16 ยท 2012-11-06 09:13

HELLO GRADER WORLD, I HAVE A ALLIS ROAD GRADER MODEL D, (GAS), WILL A DD (DIESEL ) ENGINE SWAP INTO IT'S PLACE? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL.......................:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:

Replies15
  1. #1DonBC2012-11-06 14:45

    The biggest difference is the diesel engine in the DD graders is a 6 cylinder engine and it is slightly longer than the 4 cylinder gas. I believe with the WD45 and D17 farm tractors the frame rails were longer for the diesel tractors. Looking at the grader spec sheets it appears as if the overall length of DD grader was 3-1/2" longer than the D grader most likely to accomodate the longer engine. It then becomes a decision on whether it is easier to extend the frame or find a 4 cylinder diesel that could be adapted.

  2. #210hotrod162012-11-06 18:21

    Ok, thanks for the info, i just purchased a dd model today, so i will have a gas grader for sale/parts for someone to build.

  3. #3DonBC2012-11-07 01:35

    Are you going to part it out or are you trying to sell it to someone else to either part out or fix? I am trying to find the angle (worm) drive for the power circle and if it has one and you are parting it out let me know. Thanks

  4. #410hotrod162012-11-07 09:04

    Ok, when I GET READY TI SELL, i'LL LET YOU KNOW, WOULD RATHER SELL THE WHOLE MACHINE.

  5. #5DonBC2012-11-07 11:45

    You might want to post the D gader on allischalmers.com in the construction equipment section. If the only problem with the D grader is the engine they are such a common engine that parts availability is not a problem.

  6. #6q4016lanz2012-11-07 23:25

    I have a 4cyl ford Ind diesel in my DD

  7. #7Joelc2020-05-16 19:09

    Hello, anybody familiar with the with the allis chalmers ad 40-253 road grader Gears are backwards, 6 in reverse and 2 forward. Has a 471 gm/ Detroit engine and would like to swap to a 9.0 international engine, Wondering about the bellhousing interchange, the 9.0 has a 4 speed allison coupled to it, any information would greatly be appreciated...

  8. #8repowerguy2020-05-17 07:19

    Sounds as though someone has flipped the ring gear carrier around to the opposite side making the gearing run in a reversed fashion. The other reason I suppose is the 4-71 could be a left hand rotation model installed be accident.

  9. #9Joelc2020-05-17 22:10

    Your correct, Howbeit nothing looks like their has been any changes, All the paint looks original, engine and chassis all have the orange/ yellow paint, but looks like you would just swap the ring gear around, Just trying to figure out what someone did. Thanks for the info...

  10. #10old-iron-habit2020-05-17 23:26

    I was thinking the same thing as repowerguy that you might have gotten a left handed rotation Detroit. They made them both ways. Have you checked the engine rotation when cranking to eliminate that first.

  11. #11Tugger22020-05-18 10:25

    While we are talking about Allis Chalmers graders , im looking for the whole steering assembly from the steering wheel to the steering box .My D model was converted to hydraulic lever steer and i have it in mind to change it back.

  12. #12repowerguy2020-05-18 10:27

    Why not just install a hydrostatic steering valve and wheel in place of the lever?

  13. #13Tugger22020-05-18 10:42

    Might be a good thought to. Sometimes i get stuck on impractical ideas to keep things stock.

  14. #14Joelc2020-05-19 20:34

    Hello, I have the ad 40 a.c. grader and the steering gearbox is shot, has the shaft that goes from the steering wheel to the steering box. Going to put Rams on the drag link and use a joy stick for steering, could use a steering valves with a steering wheel but I run the m cat graders and everything is controlled by joy sticks.

  15. #15Joelc2020-05-19 20:49

    Actually I left water in the engine after I bought the grader to move it and their was a hole in the sleeve and then it rusted or locked up. Could rebuild it, but it turns the wrong way anyway and I have a good v-8 diesel international engine I could swap. Have to check rotation. And find the right flywheel housing that would couple up, projects galore...