Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

allis chalmers hd6 overheating

capdarr ยท 2011-08-14 23:57

how do you take the radiator out of an allis chalmers hd6 dozer? The water pump is leaking do I have to take the radiator out to change the water pump. I was told that the radiator was no good so I guess I will work on it too. thank you all, I am enjoying this site.

Replies3
  1. #1crayton2011-08-15 02:05

    If you have a HD 6 without a hard nose and raiditor is not shot it is easier to remove hood, side pannels and there is four bolts at bottom of rad that are vertical into the frame at bottom of rad. Remove them and lift rad and shell off in one piece. If you have a hard nose there should be 4 bolts running horizontal , two on each side of rad and take hoses loose and rad should come out front after opening the grill. Some of these bolts have castilated nuts with cotter pins in them. Probably rusted in the pipes they go through. I think the hardnose can be pivoted on the two large countersunk bolts on each side after removing the rest of suport bolts but don't screw up the countersunk bolts as they are very hard to find. No easy way but it is easy to change waterpump after the rad is out of the way. No envy here.

  2. #2capdarr2011-08-15 08:55

    thank you gor the information Thank you for the quick response,,, very impressive

  3. #3Komatsu 1502011-08-15 10:26

    If you have the hard nose remove the side bolts at the rear and loosen the two big countersunk bolts a couple of turns and pivot the hard nose forward, it makes everything pretty easy, and you can remove the pivot bolts and pull the whole thing off although it's pretty heavy. The problem is if the pivot bolts have not been coated with anti-seize they can be very tough to loosen as they will be stuck big time. And they are supposed to be very tight as the tapered cones on the pivot bolt heads provide most of the strength of the arrangement.