Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Allis-Chalmers HD7

Orchard Ex ยท 2006-06-18 10:04

Jeff D. mentioned looking at an A/C Dozer in another post. Here's a few pics of the HD7 that's on the family's farm. It still gets used to push out stumps and headlands every now and then. 3 71 Detroit powered.

Replies27
  1. #1T Red2006-06-18 17:58

    I know some collectors that would love to have that machine. Nice complete machine. I see you have more there in the background, JD maybe an A or B? Tim

  2. #2Jeff D.2006-06-18 19:23

    Orchard,two questions: 1)Will it fit in a 53ft van trailer? 2)how much does it weigh? 3)When can I pick it up?? :bouncegri

  3. #3CAT245ME2006-06-18 19:41

    Just make sure that no hornets have made a nest around the old dozer before you fire her up.:yup

  4. #4Orchard Ex2006-06-18 20:24

    T Red - That's a JD 720 in the background. First tractor I ever drove, I was about 5 I think. It had a hand clutch so I didn't need to reach the pedals.:thumbsup Gas pony motor and a 2 cylinder diesel, I loved that old tractor cause it sounded sort of like a steam locomotive chugging along. Lots of other tractors around like a JD 40, Farmall M, and a Super M or M-TA I can't remember which, Ford 8N w/ Backhoe/loader couple old Chevy trucks. Jeff, if we get a run at it I'm sure it will fit! Don't know what it weighs, I'd guess 10 tons or so. Cat - We have more paper wasps than anything but you are right. When I was little they used to tell me "the bees can't sting you if you aren't afraid of them!", yeah ok...

  5. #5T Red2006-06-18 21:13

    A 720 Diesel thats even better. I have an R I'm in the process of restoring. I love old diesel tractors. That would have been a great tractor to grow up on. Tim

  6. #6Jeff D.2006-06-18 22:57

    That dozer must be older than the HD6 I'd looked at.It didn't have the arms to lift the blade,but rather cylinders mounted vertically near the front of the hood,it had a ROPS,and I believe the fuel tank was behind the seat. What is the family's plans for that one,Orchard? Just curious.If I admit any interest in it Squizzy would NEVER let me hear the end of it then. There's rumors that he's already circulating a petition to have the forums name changed from"Heavy Equipment Forums" to " Not Old Heavy Equipment Forums".:yup

  7. #7Orchard Ex2006-06-19 20:53

    The blade says Garwood on it so I don't really know if it was original or not. The fuel tank's behind the seat on this one too. So are the controls:laugh You did notice the custom "operators seating" that's laying across the hood right? From a Nova SS IIRC... (Waste of bandwidth story - When they got the dozer one of the steering clutches was stuck, I was a little kid and got such a kick out of my uncle making "Jersey Left Turns" all over the farm (no offense meant to anyone from Jersey)) I'll check for ya:thumbsup There's lots of other junk - er, a, I mean "Classic Priceless Gem's" around the farm. Want me to stroll around with the camera one day for the forum's amusement?

  8. #8Orchard Ex2006-06-19 21:07

    The 720 was really cool, I wish that they would restore it one day, but I doubt that will happen. It was pretty impressive for a little kid especially when they put the full set of front and rear cultivators on it to weed the corn. I also liked how the Farmall started up on gas to warm up the cylinders then you switched to diesel. Its one main job was to power the silage blower with the belt pulley. OK, now I sound old. I'm not that old my family just had lots of old equipment that we used.:yup -Korey

  9. #9Jeff D.2006-06-19 21:18

    I'd like it.I like to look at the farm tractors,and old equipment.:thumbsup

  10. #10Orchard Ex2006-07-11 21:27

    For Jeff D. and T Red I wandered around the old farm on the 4th to take a couple pics for Jeff and T-Red (and anybody else that wants to look at 'em):thumbsup This is a JD 40 with a JD 720 in the background This is a better shot of the 720. One of the first tractors I ever drove as a kid. Lots of memories of that one... Here's the first backhoe I ever ran. A Ford 8N? The backhoe is marked "Panther" but I don't remember who made it. At least I had a seat when we went out on the Ford instead of riding on the axles and holding on. Thank goodness they bought a JD 4030 with a full fender for me to sit on later! Here's the Super M still on the job - pumping irrigation onto the melons and sweet corn.

  11. #11Orchard Ex2006-07-11 21:45

    These are a couple pics of a drag line that my cousin brought back from the Eastern Shore. Sorry they aren't better but hey, it was 99 degrees and 85% humidity and I didn't feel much like beating back the brush/bees/snakes/etc. I don't know much at all about it other than I think it is Detroit powered. It was used to dig a few ponds around the farm. Got it on a "if you move it you can have it" deal. If anybody has any idea of a make/model etc. - I'd be interested. This marvel of technology is know as "the mule". My uncle welded it together from scrap ages ago. It's 2 jobs were to spray the sweet corn (a tank/pump and spray bar went on top across the back) and to carry the picking box. 3- 4 guys walk behind picking sweet corn by hand and pitching it into the box til it's full. It was always a bit of a climb to get on, but at least it was uncomfortable when you got there...:bouncegri It's not pretty - but it has been on the job for around 40 years!

  12. #12Jeff D.2006-07-11 23:08

    My grandfather had a couple of those Fords, I can't remember if they were 8n's or 9n's. He used to drag logs down the road on a skid, to a sawmill, in the winter with em. He need one chained to the front of the other to keep the nose down. They really liked to try and flip, if chained too high. I've an old Farmall 340 that looks very similiar to the M that I still use to mow, blow, and occasionally drag a plow or disc around in the field. Those old farm tractors sure are fun,(when you don't farm with em') Thanks for the pics Mr. Korey.:thumbsup

  13. #13bigbucket2006-07-12 20:19

    The make of the dragline is definitely "Unit", don't know the model, possibly a 1020?

  14. #14T Red2006-07-12 21:11

    Orchard Ex Thanks for posting the pictures. Tim

  15. #15Cat4202006-07-12 21:58

    Here's a few pictures of my uncle's 193? Farmall before he sold it.

  16. #16Jeff D.2006-07-12 22:54

    Cat420, do you know if that's an "A" model, or a Cub?? I've seen that model Farmall with belly finish mowers before, but can't remember what model it is. Looks like your uncle done a nice restoration.:yup And then he wen't and sold it!! (on edit, I see the "A" on the hood in the last pic, after I posted :Banghead )

  17. #17Orchard Ex2006-07-13 11:25

    That's a nice "A" there Cat420. There's one of them on my family's place too, but it was so buried in a barn that I couldn't get a picture. I'm kicking myself now for not going and getting pictures a while ago. Lot's of stuff went to the scrap man last year - old tobacco planter, a 49 Chevy S/A, a 64? Chevy S/A flatbed. I couldn't find the farmall that started on gas and switched over to diesel, it may be gone too.

  18. #18Cat4202006-07-13 21:05

    You guys should have seen it when he started restoring it. There was gray sludge in the intake and just general crud in everything. He put a ton of work into it and a local farmer used to borrow it for doing hay and stuff and it still worked great. Too bad he sold it a month or two after finishing it.

  19. #19Nailz632008-10-04 23:52

    Hi, I just recently aquired an AC HD7 that looks exactly like the one in the above pic. The one that I have is actually in better shape appearance wise. This machine does run good and has the exact garfield blade. We will be putting this up for sale and I am wondering where to start and what to ask for? Can anyone help me. Thanks Allen

  20. #20T Red2008-10-05 07:30

    Start here you may even find some pricing help there also. http://www.allischalmers.com/ Local antique tractor shows may be the best option. Pricing is a though question. There's so many factors involved; undercarriage, location of an interested buyer. Here lately antique tractor auctions have been the place to sell old iron. IMO most overpriced right now. You may can consign it to a good auction. We do like pictures. Good luck, Tim

  21. #21egoman2008-10-05 10:12

    Hey OE if you go to the crane sec. you will see a thread posted by me called old but free crane. This is my unit crane and there is a lot of info there that should help you identify that crane. I have a 1020 and its very similar to that one. If you get up close there are several ID plates on them.

  22. #22Countryboy2008-10-06 00:08

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Nailz63! :drinkup

  23. #23Nailz632008-10-07 19:59

    allis chalmers hd7 Sorry but I am new to this forum. How do I post pictures here? The bottom says I may not post attachments. I have several pics of the hd7 that I would like to show. This machine is in excellant condition. Thanks for your help.

  24. #24Steve Frazier2008-10-07 23:31

    One hour after your third post you will see a number of features appear. It's how we keep spam under control here. Thanks for joining us!

  25. #25Orchard Ex2008-10-08 19:18

    Thanks, I'll go check for ID plates after it gets cold here and the wasps "chill out"

  26. #26Nailz632008-10-08 20:15

    Thank you for your help

  27. #27Buckwheat2009-03-17 02:31

    the old girl looks real good nice job on it. i restored a 59 460 diesel in high school paint job doesnt look that good but that was my first learning experiance with body work but i am still proud of it. ill have to get some pictures of it up here when i get home to access them. Chad