What’s everybody’s opinion about this machine I found one Reasonably cheap about 10 miles from my house has a full enclosed cab and has been sitting for probably 8 to 10 years reason why it was parked is because one of the links in the tracks broke needs one rear sprocket and one side of the tracks is wore out bad does anyone know where to get parts for these machines and is it even worth messing with from what I’ve seen it’s in really clean shape I forgot to take pictures of it because I was in all of how nice it was
Parts will likely be a problem, Allis Chalmers became Fiat Allis & I believe they went out of business by the mid 80's give or take. There are some used parts dealers around the country, but the supply will likely be dwindling. Wait for member D Miller to chime in. He has a 7G. Post pictures when you can as well as a Ser #.
Ok thank you sir. And I kind of feel like this machine is between at 9:55 cat and a 977 track loader I’m guessing it weighs around 27,000 pounds or something close to that
New Holland bought Fiat Allis They have parts for them not sure about Allis Chalmer but might be worth a try.
Closer to a Cat 941 or 951. Sitting 8-10 years first thing to do is see if the engine is free. Reasonably cheap would be scrap price. DMiller has stated parts are getting scarce and I don't think undercarriage is available. He could confirm this and will likely be along shortly.
Time to chime in. I own one, the 7G is a bit more scarce than not, I have had issues with finding pieces where MINNPAR in Minneapolis Mn is the only location have found much of any. Steering is problematic as to the supply pump, transmission pump drive is the next gorilla that bites, Rails are NON-existent as are sprockets or rings. Rollers are few and far between. Gave $2500 for my runner, needed a LOT of work including the steering charge pump and trans work. Bought a Second junker for pieces(Another $2500 and haul fee) and got Lucky in that the rail chains are next to new shoes are junk also NA, the runner rails are Beyond Shot, roll off like nothing 7.0 pitch where with worn sprockets could MAYBE use 6.906 CAT take offs. 7GB was last production has square nose, Fiat/Iveco 6cyl as opposed to Allis 4 cyl. Trans is same, pumps are different as is the Converter, would be easier to make a Case/Cummins fit in. Also straight 7G is hand steer(hydraulic) foot brake, Gb is foot steer. Are NO real trans internals available any longer, I have had to make stuff work thru a Hydraulics shop for internal seals. As to the Pumps. The steering pump suction is weak link, suck much to any air and pump shells RAPIDLY, only fits these, Trans Pump is a Eaton but 10 spline, not 9, not 11 or 13 but 10 spline that NO ONE else used. Torque Drive Plate for the shaft generally erodes then shears splines, at that point becomes a guesswork as to flows for conversions.
Dave, a guy out this way has a HD 6 for sale for parts says it has new tracks and pads... any of that make the trip to a 7?
No, the 5&6 are same base models, finals, rails, sprockets and shoes 6.5" pitch, nothing except the base engine block of a 344 crosses over. 7G and 11B shared rails, some other pieces but seem to be animals all to their own. IH and Allis carried same basic track pitch for a few models, 125, early 175 had similar rail size pitch.
Dave thanks for all the information if I could get your number to talk to you more I would greatly appreciate it thanks again
This is what it looks like just missing the cab
Big square nose single top roller is Gb Engine was biggest issue when new
Go to your Conversation folder(envelope) you have mail
Is it like this one? My cousin owned this one up here in Canada, then it sold by auction & went down in the States somewhere I heard.
That was at Zimmerman Tractor Versailles MO, they buy a LOT on auction. Would love to get my hands on a full pedal set off one of these for mine, stick/pedal steer sucks when fighting close quarters. May jet have to Enganear my own one day.
Two strainers(Permanent) need to be cleaned when Trans and Clutch housings been drained. As sit in seat under left foot at face of Trans, and under machine hose connects under right side bottom to plate with four bolts, ALWAYS forgotten or ignored.
This one was either a 73 or 74 model year.
They were making the Gb along with the straight G models, for what reasons I have not a clue, my own is a 1974 and one of the last 7Gs.
I sat on the seat of this very machine when it was brand new salivating!! I wonder were it ended up?
When a Newbie fresh from trade school grunt, these were NEW.
Can tell you straight up, 10W oil in trans, filters NEED to be clean or new. Trans oil is checked Running in neutral warmed up dipstick to Left Heel after cycled thru ranges(2F/2R)
A thread like this tells more than hours of reading expensive manuals. Manuals tell you step one step two step three. A smart old wrench like DMiller can tell you what the main weaknesses are so you don't spend countless hours spinning your wheels. Service manuals are not written by people who are in a position to criticize the engineering department.
Sad to say these machines were intended for ten to fifteen years of hard harsh work to be recycled as was considered in the Day. The engineers even as did not build them to be worked on built impressively long lasting mechanisms, reasonably cheap, well constructed and durable to the point I am still using a 45 year old machine. Minnpar has parts manuals from Allis on these and are downloadable. Service and operations manuals still exist as reproductions, if buy one of the machines the necessity to buy the manuals is already there before ever drop bucket to earth. I am steady in process on my old beater, rails should be off it in a month if I am lucky, then will have a set that with a pin/bushing turn should be good enough for personal use. Bought a set of six used links(still assembled) from Idaho(General Gear) for replacing the master links on these chains as the pin eyes are completely beaten open beyond further use. Having a machine shop turn or grind down the pins for master pins would also be in store as neither links nor pins and bushings really exist in any volume. Already e-mailed much of the initial nuances to see if even worth picking the machine up. Has to run, has to at least engage trans and brakes/clutches or is already a money pit with next to no bottom.
Allis had some pretty wild ideas on seals, support structures, engineering directions most other companies never went to. Final and Roller seals are Bladder type, fibrous Neoprene donuts with steel face rings supported with tension springs and designed to be maintained squeezed tight, bearing surfaces could be housing components running in pressurized oil baths, just all manner of oddities I never saw in other machines while still very simple.
BTT I'm considering picking up a Fiat Allis 7G-B Track Loader and while doing a little research found this thread. The unit I'm looking at is a 2nd owner (my BIL) and of course has been sitting for a few years. I'm told the only real issue it had when parked was fluid leaking from the weep hole in the Torq Converter at a rate of 3-5 Gallons per day or more depending on use. Anyone have any experience with this? Would the screens mentioned being clogged cause this?... Are there more screen than item 5 that I should be looking for? Any thoughts or Ideas would be appreciated... First Post... Thanks, Mike
Provided the weep hole is at the flywheel end then no the screens will not affect the leakage, That would be due to a front seal on the converter failed and will require removal of it to gain access to it. I am unaware as to the G-b converter to engine fastener positioning as mine was a straight G with the Allis 344 series 4cyl engine not the later six cyl where my own required engine removal to unbolt the converter.
I am still have spair parts for 7G-7GB
Thanks for the quick response ...I appreciate it. The current owner was thinking the issue was related with the ability to return the Fluid but sounds like you think it's more of a leak within. I have attached the Parts pics... Of the seals listed would you speculate it being Item 17? I assume a Torq Converter rebuild would be ideal if the parts are available but thinking is a pretty big project to get into for such an old machine. The bad thing is they put new clutches in it before it was parked. Do you think it's worth the trouble to fix or better at this point to spend and extra ~$50 a day on Fluid? Currently thinking maybe try to get it going and evaluate what else it may need.
What kind of parts do you have for the 7GB?... Torq. converter parts by chance?
I should have some used tork parts but need parts number
Don't know yet but ... (Item 17) 70664711 RING, Sealing Output Hub Might be a good place to start Thanks...
All of my Spares went with Fat Allis when sold.
HI I check tomorrow with my friend parts manual mine is missing some pages
I think DMiller would be the best person to listen to regarding the machine you're looking at. He had his Fiat Allis for several years and pretty much knew it inside out and the kind of issues you may/will have to deal with. A lower purchase price doesn't not equate to better deal if you have to tear into it. You also need to consider what parts availability will be like in the future.
My friend is gone for weeken I try mondy to get the HD7GB manual .SORRY
No need to be sorry, you're trying to help him is what matters and you'll get back as soon as you can. By the way it's nice to see you back on the forum. I think you were off for quite awhile.
I try many time to comback but I was block and a couple week I try again and its working and am happy to be back. HECTOR
I would not risk buying a few odd pieces and drag the converter out to not go thru the entire unit. Will be disturbing seals and sealing points as disassemble to get to a leak point only to return to service and find you were wrong or added a second leak point. This machine is over 40 years old, no telling what kind of patch work or any work on the converter has occurred. On the Older style as I had the converter housing did not run pressurized nor with a full housing, was a feed and bleed system that during shut down periods was allowed to drain back to main housing of trans. Any leak from the converter was either stopped up drain or vent or just failed seals. Should be a Borg Warner pattern and may be able to get seals thru a BW repair service or upgrade parts internally if damaged to some other style. Drive hub and output housing will be AC Specific, the guts likely not. Expense will be the detractor, time spent fixing the machine only to end up with other faults cannot repair completely will be the other shoe to drop. Is where I got to on my Orphan Machine.
I check today with my friend for the HD7 GB ring sealing and he has one used and this ring fitt on HD11b too
Sorry Hector... Did not see these latest replies... working a different issue for the moment... Will create a new thread for it. I have been concerned from the start with what DMiller says about it being one thing after the other just to keep it running
Do you by chance recommend any particular brand or did you find a good place/price to purchase 10W? I was thinking I was going to be able to use some 30W possibly the Mag1 from Lowes at a decent price but after a closer look at the manual and seeing your post looks like I need to find some 10W in bulk for a leaking machine.
I got mine from the local AG Supply, 10W Hytrans Oil. Same as IH used on the ten series tractors.
The deaer NAPA should have that oil
Thanks for the quick replies... I will take a look at NAPA... I haven't found a deal any yet but would you consider ISO 32 Hydraulic Fluid acceptable for this application ?
The ISO32 is no good for transmission