Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Allis let me down yet again

DMiller ยท 2014-08-18 08:08

The old 7G was working pretty hard for the money, digging a basement hole for our new home at the farm, lasted but two days then lo reverse decided to not cooperate. Had been working flawless other than the slick shoes, had gone in for another load and as filled the bucket it teetered on the front idlers as usual then would not go into reverse. Tried lowering the bucket to see what was cooking and it began to move again, got two more loads and it did it again this time with little steering control in reverse just stops so I suspect the collector seals in the used trans had dried out finally letting go, will need to get the other box apart and start that rebuild. Did feel good getting the machine a good workout so I will be going after those seals to try to get it longer duration functional. This was end of first day two hours work and me fueling up for the next day.

Replies5
  1. #1Georgia Iron2014-08-18 20:30

    Time to get a 953!

  2. #2DMiller2014-08-18 21:04

    Just as I get more angry at the old dog I try it again today, must have been getting hot as today pulled like a champ, digging for all its worth, made some decent progress thru clean dirt down into broken rock at around 5'/6', have 16" to go for grade per the concrete contractor but only in half the hole, still working on the remainder while building ramps for the cement trucks to back out on to deliver into form.

  3. #3Georgia Iron2014-08-18 21:06

    Hope it keeps going based on my experience it will give out on you at the worst spot it can.

  4. #4DMiller2014-08-18 21:41

    Totally aware, this machine has a history with me doing just that. Plus I have a contractor that has a machine down and soon as gets it back up will be on my site to do finish out should this one lay down. I get closer to done and the concrete contractor stated he would do final grade with bobcat and backhoe.

  5. #5DMiller2014-08-21 05:50

    Managed to get the hole dug out, was trying to clear some of the last of the flint/clay and saw a trail wherever I traveled so figured hydraulic leak as had been slowly losing trans oil. Not this time, fuel so the concrete contractor did the finish clearing, ended up I was less than 10" from solid rock floor to the foundation hole. Return fuel hose on the frame beside the left brake pedal pivot pinholed. Now the big job is done I do not have a time factor save the backfill to get the old machine fixed back up, for now the fuel tank shutoff is closed.