I am working on a truck that has a 3000 allison. I is a propane truck with the pto on the drivers side but the propane pump is on the other side. Its 2 years old and the pio shaft has been a mess.Today the splined shaft comeing out of the pto snaped off. Can i put the pto on the other side? The guys were the bed was installed said it needs a $2500.00 gear to make it work. The muffler needs to be moved to the otherside to.
I don't know the answer to your question but I feel your pain. Propane truck builders spend about 2 minutes thinking about their PTO shaft design before building it it seems.
The place i work at thinks they save money buy building their trucks. They buy a truck here a bed there and take it several diffrent places to have it put together. Then i end up with a prodject geting it to work. I couldnt belive this pio shaft but the owners cant belive that the big shop dosent know what will work and what is a bad joke.
Tell them to move the pump.
The pump is mounted to s pipe comeing out of the propane tank. i dont think it can be done?
They should be aware of their options and costs of those options. I'm betting plumbing and a new bracket for the pump would be the cheaper route. but I haven't seen it.
The propane pumps I worked on were direct mounted to a huge flange coming out the bottom of the tank and could not be moved, no way no how.
Maybe not cheaper, but how about hydraulic drive for the pump?
We bought one of those on my request. It was great but at some point the reservoir/cooling unit had some kind of failure. Only a couple years old, the entire thing had to be replaced as it was no longer supported. The details are fuzzy to me now, it has been a long time. The tractor/trailer transport trucks all used hydraulic of course if they had tank mounted pumps so no drive shaft was a possibility. This was also our first Allison 3000. The terrible cross drive shaft trucks were all Roadrangers. After that debacle the next (Allison 3000) truck had a drive shaft again. Funny thing was it was a very straight drive shaft off the right side of the transmission straight into the pump. If I had known that I never would have asked for the hydraulic. Anyway back to the original question, I know that in our case the Allison drive shaft was a big improvement over the Roadranger, and I fail to see why yours should have been built differently.
I can see that being a problem.
It is saturday and the 2 places in KC both said that i could put a pto on the other side but their best pto guys didnt work on saturday and i needed to try back monday.
I spent most of the day on the phone looking for some way to get it back working. They had i think jury riged the pto it started out to have a direct mount hyd pump they bolted a plate to it with a bearing with a splind shaft runing through.I think when you need a pto they hand build one at the factory. Every one says it will take 2 weeks. I think they are building new trucks with this same trans dont they think some one would need a pto ?
It seems like they think you won't need it for at least two weeks.... ..... It really is amazing they don't have one to ship out
Nobody stocks anything any more. Everything gets ordered and built. They don't care if it takes two weeks to get you going. Did you try vanderhaags, they're a junkyard in kansas city, but they've got a bunch of other locations, they should be able to find you something. I go to one in strafford - Truck Components, but if you don't go there and look yourself, they don't have anything like whatever it is your looking for. Do you have a part # or what you're looking for? 10 bolt, parker, muncie, electric or air shift, etc.? When I finally find what I need from a truck parts place, anymore I ask them a price and a part #, when they give me the two week b.s. They know I can't afford to sit, and most don't mind if I go looking for it myself. They know I'd buy it from them if it was sitting on their shelf.
https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailview.php?part=24638295
I think i found one they are sending some one after it tomorro .I think its a used one they pulled and rebuilt. I called every were and i weeded out some narrowing it to 2 places. Then i had to call and call and call. One place couldnt do any thing in less than 3 weeks the other said maybe but they wouldnt call me back. They said they thought they could build me one but wouldnt know till the next day i call back and he said he would have it buy noon the next day to call at 1:00. I call at 1:00 he had gone to lunch.So at 2:30 i found it was ready to late to go after it. I had planed sending some one to get it and stay late to get the trans sealed back up so i could drive it in and out of the shop.Its loaded so to be safe i dont leave it in over night. I thought when i found out if i could get one i would get ready and switch the muffler to the other side but that time has been spent on the phone.I fill lucky to get this one but it wasnt easy i dont need a pat on the back but i bet the boss thinks i have been draging my feet.I have often thought about haveing the boss try to find some parts so he would know what the real world is like.
I finished it up today we went to try it and it wouldnt pump every thing went through my head maybe it was turning the wrong way or maybe the pump had went bad and caused the pto to break but it was just a stuck belly valve. This has been one of those jobs were it would have been kind of a fun challenge if it wasnt for it being a very bad time for this truck to be down.For some reasone the new yoke for the pto wasnt board round and i didnt have a diegrinder with me so every thing took longer.
Those belly valves are the pits. They do that all the time, first delivery of the day.
If you have one propane truck you need a back up then if you have over 10 you need 2 backups. The propane company isnt a great place for a mechanic the trucks are run 5 months of the year then they sit rusting because when they are needed the most is in the worst weather when the roads are covered in salt.Then they break every ones afrad there going to blow up if the shops to warm then thier bolts are rusted and useing the torch realy geis the boss upset.