Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Almost new Caterpillar D8K

RollOver Pete ยท 2012-01-06 13:46

The owner of one of my side jobs picked up this D8K for $40,000.00 last year. The only thing he had to do was re-pack all of the hydraulic cylinders since it had been sitting for so long. He also installed air conditioning. At the time of purchase the machine had less than 950 hrs.

Replies47
  1. #1RollOver Pete2012-01-06 13:49
  2. #2cb752012-01-06 14:09

    That's one heck of a find. Good looking tractor.

  3. #3DPete2012-01-06 17:39

    That's a pretty girl, just slap a tier 3 sticker on it and yer good to go

  4. #4buckfever2012-01-06 18:49

    Don't think that will fly when u start working the old girl and black smoke is blowing out the pipe.

  5. #5JTL2012-01-06 22:16

    I doubt you'd get much black smoke out of this wonderfull ULSD we have to run these days. Even out of an old 8K.

  6. #6RollOver Pete2012-01-07 11:19

    The smoke is easily controlled with your right foot. It's as simple as easing off the decelerator just enough to allow the turbo to spool up and build boost. Once you have boost, the fuel burns without much smoke so you let off the pedal some more. This industry is not what it once used to be. Not enough work with too many bidding for the job means cut throat rates. Add high fuel prices and there goes even more money out of your pocket. The biggest expenses you'll have is fuel yet it is still one of the easiest costs that a good operator can control and improve on. People often run a machine wide open when 1/2 or 3/4 throttle will do. With our 8K, easing into it instead of hammering on it to see how much smoke you can make is a perfect example. If you are lucky enough to only be an operator, job costs is the last thing on your mind. If you happen to be the one paying for the fuel, I guarantee that you'll think differently. Ya gotta work smart, not hard.

  7. #7DPete2012-01-07 11:42

    You can also tinker with the ratio control valve on the injection pump to reduce initial smoke during turbo spin up. Good old horses

  8. #8250c2012-01-07 11:58

    "The biggest expenses you'll have is fuel yet it is still one of the easiest costs that a good operator can control and improve on. People often run a machine wide open when 1/2 or 3/4 throttle will do" These words are very true. The 573 in my loader has all the power you would ever want. but if you run it wide open you will pay in fuel.

  9. #9RollOver Pete2012-01-07 16:16

    I just learned today that I get to haul this 8K from Indio, Ca. to Las Vegas Nv. next week. The boss just sold the machine for $65,000.00. He told me, "Pete....if you don't use a machine at least twice a month you're better off getting rid of the thing". Now he's looking at another 330 excavator w/ thumb.

  10. #10Dozerboy2012-01-07 23:06

    Man I would love to run that old girl.

  11. #11pp13bnos2012-01-07 23:37

    I hope the new owner treats her good. Nothing worse than seeing someone get a good piece of equipment and trashing it.

  12. #12Peter Kennedy2012-01-08 01:16

    Very nice indeed

  13. #13RonG2012-01-08 05:03

    Anyone who has ever run one for a living will count those old D-8 H/Ks as one of the best dozers they ever ran. Thanks Pete and it is great to see you posting again.Ron G

  14. #14dieseldave2012-01-11 00:12

    Aw man, I was gonna ask if i could come run it The K is one of my all time favorites, and the thought of a new one had me drooling.

  15. #15RollOver Pete2012-03-02 23:22

    Looks like I'm finally going to haul this 8K to Vegas tomorrow. Shes a little heavy....and only took me 3 hrs. to get legal

  16. #16pp13bnos2012-03-03 10:21

    Something tells me, than you have more than two axles on the trailer. In the pic it looks like it though.

  17. #172stickbill2012-03-03 10:29

    I was looking at that too.Never seen a D8 on a two axle trailer that was legal.Some States now make you remove the blade.

  18. #18RollOver Pete2012-03-03 12:03

    Cozad 16 tire expando. Sent from the cab of my Kenworth using Tapatalk

  19. #19RollOver Pete2012-03-03 12:06

    Got her unloaded so its back to Colton to load a H2O truck for Indio. Sent from my 600hp office.

  20. #20JDOFMEMI2012-03-04 11:32

    Pete That a 4 rail trailer? I'm trying to figure out why it is so heavy, unless there is some extra armor plating on the D-8K. That is only 2,000 lighter than I am with a D-8T, so I'm thinking the trailer must be heavier.

  21. #21Bluetop Man2012-03-04 12:50

    One of the best bulldozers ever made, along with the D6's and D7's of that era. The D8K was perfectly sized for pushing 621 and 627 motor scrapers in the soft ground in and around Houston, TX. Heavier iron would sink out of sight on most locations.

  22. #22RollOver Pete2012-03-04 15:34

    I'm not sure Jerry. I believe the KW & Cozad weigh right at 40000 lbs. The dozer does have all its rock guards in place and had semi U blade. 1/2 of the fuel was drained out. Getting my weight right was quite a chore since driving this truck and moving equipment isnt something that I do on a daily basis. It's just a part time gig. This is what I had when I loaded up and placed the machine where the regular driver suggested. Obviously, this wasnt going to work. I slid forward as far as I could and I was still light on the front. So I unchained and moved the machine back about 10 inches. I figured about 500 lbs an inch. I also moved the king pin as far forward as I could. This let me slide forward about another 7 notches. After about 3 hrs of screwing around, I was good to go. We left Indio @ 2:30 am and pulled off at exit 12 @ just after 7:00 am. I unloaded there since thats as far as I was getting paid do go. Another truck from Washington would take the machine the rest of the way north. ps....I 15 is almost as bad as I 5 now....thanks Caltrans.

  23. #23JDOFMEMI2012-03-04 16:12

    Like I thought, your light weight is heavier than mine. I am just over 36,000 empty. Sounds like the K is about 5 or 6 thousand lighter than the T. Sounds like a lot of work to get the Cozad to load the front axle. I had to slide back about 4 inches from normal, my first weigh had over 22K on the stear axle. Mine makes weight with the blade down on the deck and against the gooseneck, just how I like it. Nice looking ride there Pete.

  24. #24buckfever2012-03-04 18:29

    Around here unless you have DOT aproved guards on the blade you have to remove it. Also with the blade on or off you can haul a D8 on a 2 axel lowboy and a tandem tracktor.

  25. #25390eric2012-03-04 21:37

    Yeah we just ordered those blade gaurds for our 8, i think 4300 dollars for some guardrail. Cant make them yourself because they have to have an engineers approval with them if you ares topped by dot. We haul ours on a three axle lowboy and a tri axle tractor, think the weight was around 140,000 total

  26. #26buckfever2012-03-05 19:37

    I think in PA you cann't make or buy any new guards. You are only allowed to use the ones that are grandfathered from the 70's or 80's.

  27. #27buckfever2012-03-05 19:40

    Let me rephrase an earlier post. You can haul a D8h or K on a tandem tracktor and trailer. Not sure about the newer hi-drives.

  28. #28390eric2012-03-05 21:18

    Yeah ours is an 8r. There is a company selling new guards that are PA DOT approved. Was looking at the website and brochure the other day with the boss when he was getting prices. Ill have to find the name tomorrow. I know that you can't make them yourself, because we looked into copying the ones that Doyle equipment use when they haul, but then found out about needing an engineerering stamp for them.

  29. #29forestroad2012-03-06 12:00

    Kind of off topic but since your down there in So Cal are contractors getting rid of iron due to stringent California emmissions requirements and pending carbon tax legislation taking affect [heard it was coming for ya'll in June]?.......or keeping less emmisions compliant machines due to lack of enforcement? Just curious as I'm just up the road....I-5 in Southern Oregon which, so far, has not jumped on the low emmissions bandwagon yet?? Although, due to a large minority of our populations love affair with hybrid cars [among other things] I believe are days are numbered?? Always lookin for a good deal! PS: I-5 in Oregon is brand new ribbon of black AC with shiny new bridges, all of which we really didn't need for the most part.

  30. #30RollOver Pete2012-03-06 12:17

    I'd have to say "yes" to your question. I've had situations where I had to replace a perfectly good motor with something else just to pacify some eco-worm. As far as CARB.....I don't even want to get started on that subject as it often makes me want to murder large numbers of people and bury them with a diesel smoke belching 245D. Around here, many (the smart ones) have just up and closed their doors and sent their iron to auction. The not so smart ones invested in green equipment only to have the market crap all over them. Many of them also went under. The people I work with / for either made it or they somehow got around it. As for the dozer I moved, it went to Washington....just up the road from you. It sat for a while.... It's owner believes that if a piece of iron sets for longer than 2 months, get rid of it and buy something that will make you $.

  31. #31JDOFMEMI2012-03-06 12:33

    Keep in mind our CA trailers that you guys are refering to as tandems have 8 tires accross, spread to 10' wide, for 16 tires total on the trailer. Then we are allowed 60,000# on the trailer group.

  32. #32buckfever2012-03-06 19:36

    390eric if you find that name let me know. We never realy looked figuring that there were so few out there. The trailer I was talking about is a standered on-road trailer. Question though, on a ten foot wide trailer do you get a oversize permit to haul the machine and another to bring the trailer back?

  33. #33JDOFMEMI2012-03-07 19:34

    The trailer in question here is normally 8'6" wide, and it spreads (the axles only)to 10' for heavy loads. When you are empty, it is a legal rig, no problems. There are 10' wide trailers that are wide all the time, and you get an annual permit to cover them. Small hassle, but once you get it you are good. Same with the 7 and 9 axle rigs here, empty run on an annual permit, except in special cases.

  34. #34DGODGR2012-03-07 20:53

    That is why they call them "16 tire expando" trailers. One can often find the term in use in the for sale rags like Rock & Dirt. I'm not sure how many MFRs make them. I have only seen them from Murray and Cozad. You can also add bed extenders too. They are also made to be installed and removed easily. I have only seen them in use in CA too. You should see the big black marks left behind at corners on hot days.

  35. #35buckfever2012-03-07 21:01

    I've seen a few 10' wide trailers in truckpaper and was wondering how they worked. Is there a big advantage to being able to make the hole deck wider instead of using tipouts.

  36. #36DGODGR2012-03-07 21:19

    I'm not familiar with the term "tip-outs" but I think we are talking about the same thing. What I'm talking about are cast, triangular gussets that fit into pockets on the outside rails of the trailer (several for each side). It's customary to place wood on top of the gussets.

  37. #37RollOver Pete2012-03-08 01:22

    Lets not forget the tiny stipulation that you CAN NOT haul a legal load on a 10' wide except a pilot car. Example... If I had used the 10' wide last weekend to move the 8K, I would not have legally been able to load a 8' wide JD skip loader (legal load) to bring back on the return trip. I could have brought the pilot car or this (oversize) back but nothing legal. Go figure...

  38. #38DPete2012-03-08 10:38

    Pete, has Oregon changed their weight laws? I bought an 8K in Vancouver Wa. about 2003, they would not give weight credit for a 16 tire trailer. Had to hire a truck from there to make weight, they had a 3 axle trailer. Also had trouble getting a 623 from Denver, same thing. Hopefully it has changed.

  39. #39DGODGR2012-03-08 11:14

    States are all different. I see no 16 tire trailers in CO, only 3 axles. In CO I can put 60k# on a tridem. CA does not recognize the tridem so it is downrated to a tendem (34,000#).

  40. #40JDOFMEMI2012-03-08 11:18

    ROP I had forgotten that little bit of info. It comes back to me now. Thanks. I guess if it wasn't for that rule, we would all have a 10' wide trailer. Dpete As of last fall OR still doesn't recognize a 16 wheel, and gives less on a tridem than most. I was looking into moving my D-8T there for a job, and it had to go on at least 8 axles.

  41. #41DPete2012-03-08 11:43

    Now rollover, you didn't dodge the scales with that 8K did you?

  42. #42JDOFMEMI2012-03-08 12:04

    I'm thinking if he was going to dodge the scales, he wouldn't have spent 2 hours getting the weight at least close to legal. If he took the freeway, only a ton of luck lets you by Banning scales, but Cajon is as likely to be closed as open.

  43. #43forestroad2012-03-08 12:37

    http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/FORMS.shtml Oregon heavy haul weight tables cab be found here. Oregon still does not recognize 16 tire tandems as any more than a tandem with a maximum weight of 43,000 lbs. O.D.O.T. likes axles, lot of em!

  44. #44DGODGR2012-03-08 12:40

    Don't you have some rocks to crush?

  45. #45DPete2012-03-08 14:12

    Oh sorry I missed the part where he changed trucks, my bad I thought he went to Wa. with it

  46. #46forestroad2012-03-08 14:23

    Nah...waitin for ATF audit dude to finish makin sure all my paperwork is in order. Then gotta go out and collect soil samples with new 300, busy busy!!!

  47. #47RollOver Pete2012-03-09 01:32

    I spent all that time getting legal and Banning didn't even pull the tape out. I was quite disappointed.