Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aluminium F150

Scrub Puller ยท 2013-12-29 02:29

Yair . . . Apparently this is going to happen . . . will it work do you reckon? http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2013/12/26/ford-f-150-aluminum/4203935/ Cheers.

Replies16
  1. #1Plant Fitter2013-12-29 05:38

    Works for Kenworth..........

  2. #2ValleyFirewood2013-12-29 08:09

    Would be nice to have a vehicle that isn't rusted to bits in 10-15 years. I wonder how it will affect the cost though? Aluminum is much more expensive, at least it is here.

  3. #3wilko2013-12-29 11:56

    My rule of thumb is to let other people work the bugs out of any new model, be it cars or cameras or whatever in between.

  4. #4buckfever2013-12-29 14:14

    I like the idea. The only concern I have is oxidation. Ever try spinning a steel bolt out of a piece of aluminum after it has been together a long time? Not fun.

  5. #5chevota842013-12-29 16:41

    Even more so for peterbilt Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

  6. #6Scrub Puller2013-12-29 16:48

    Yair . . . it's going to be interesting. Not new of course, Landrovers have been ally for over fifty years. I was unaware that Kenworth were using aluminium. I guess it's an effort by Ford to regain market share. If they pull 700 hundred pounds out of the build it may effect the towing rating which is all important in the US . . . it would also provide platform for the five cylinder common rail Mazda/Citroen diesel Ford market over here in their Ranger, I reckon you blokes would love it. Cheers.

  7. #7Delmer2013-12-29 17:16

    Great business move. Combined with the turbochargers, I bet they'll be able to reduce the average age of running F-150's by ten years.

  8. #8Ronsii2013-12-29 17:50

    ^^ LOL That and the scrappers will now be sawzalling your truck while you are sleeping

  9. #9Plant Fitter2013-12-30 04:18

    I forgot about Landrovers.......... in that case, it's bound to fail............

  10. #10Old Doug2013-12-30 11:26

    Road salt is the best thing that ever happen to the car companys. They need people to buy new ones every so often so they build them so they will need to buy a new one. GM marketed a inerfender on there 67/72 pickups that did away with the fender holding dirt. It worked what a mistake on GMs part. They didnt do that agin. If i had the money i would build a jeep. You can get a galvanized frame and a stainless steel or aluminium body.

  11. #11wosama931b2014-01-05 11:07

    Trucks today are like car's made for the person that is realy not going to do any serious work, just pull the boat/ a little fire wood, golf bag's or take the plants home from store. After they get a few thousand miles on them and are out of warrenty, then the workin guy buys them to get the death wobble, if he lives through the experence , then the ford place will tell him that it is within tollerence. I guess the joke is on the poor guy trying to make a living. sam.

  12. #12Scrub Puller2014-01-05 13:52

    Yair . . . Plant Fitter Nothing wrong with a Landy mate, they been around for a long time, you just gotta understand them, and, despite what people say, they do not leak oil . . . they just mark out their territory. (big grin) Cheers.

  13. #13grandpa2014-01-05 14:35

    Land Rover's? I do believe that's what OCR calls a flock of sheep.

  14. #14buddy6052014-01-05 17:03

    Aluminium is a better product then thy have been trying up here. See link below. http://video.canadiantire.ca/v/1956...t-by-the-canadian-tire-ice-truck-winter-2013/

  15. #15Plant Fitter2014-01-06 04:40

    You are right, Landrovers were THE vehicle to have for rough work, that is until the first TOYOTA LANDCRUISER was imported over 50 years ago, at which time the Landrovers became instantly obsolete............

  16. #16powerjoke2014-01-06 10:47

    I bought the wife a new LR as few years ago when we found out we was having a baby....... Well let's just say that the new baby came home from the hospital in a Hummer instead lol. With that being said, it never broke down or rusted out tho so I guess it was well made Pj