Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aluminum equipment trailer, 14k

zeroo · 2023-01-24 08:37

Looking to get a suretrac aluminum 14k equipment trailer. Any experience with aluminum in a heavy trailer application? This thing has 12k payload.

Replies7
  1. #1673moto2023-02-03 15:36

    Where did you find an aluminum equipment trailer at? I’ve looked around a bit and they are tough to find on the west coast (no salt on the roads maybe?)

  2. #2zeroo2023-02-03 15:45

    This one came from Dayton oh. There’s a couple more out there but not many suretracs. They can’t build them cause of an 8” channel shortage. There are other brands but more expensive and less payload.

  3. #3Zewnten2023-02-13 20:24

    I've seen a lot of fatigue cracks from bouncing on the road and the welds not being anealed on small trailers. I imagine it'd be worse with a heavier load and longer trailer frame.

  4. #4mowingman2023-03-19 16:57

    Why would you want to spend the extra money to buy an aluminum trailer like this? Is it a "weight" thing? The good old steel trailers are generally much less expensive and with a little TLC, they will last for many years. Just wondering? Jeff

  5. #5Tyler d4c2023-03-19 17:31

    Around here all the little traliers have been going aluminum steel ones just rust apart way too fast. The first couple I've been around got bought in 2015 there holding up just fine. The steel parts have been removed and painted already. There double h brand. It's a 7 ton trailer use it as such is the biggest point with the aluminum ones. The wiring still sucks on any of the home owner size trailers I've found.

  6. #6cfherrman2023-03-21 23:00

    My trailer is steel and weighs 6k, has two 7k axles, I'm guessing an aluminum trailer weighs half that with the same axles. Every new trailer I've seen has junk wiring, it's a requirement.

  7. #7Tyler d4c2023-03-21 23:40

    My 16 foot deck over with bevertail and steel ramps weighed 2700 pounds all aluminum other then ramps axles and a few mounting parts. Sure seems that way with the wiring