I have a new-to-me 2014 D4K2. On my first day with the machine about 4 hours into using it the Action Lamp came on. There was no other light on and the machine didn't seem to be operating any differently. I stopped immediately but let the machine idle for about five minutes thinking that maybe something was getting close to over heating. All the gauges were in the green but I didn't want to shut it down while hot. I checked the engine oil, coolant, and hydraulic levels - all good. Heck I even checked the air filter for clogs. Nothing. After a few minutes I started the machine and the light was on but went out a few seconds later. I worked the machine for another hour or two and it happened again. I did the same procedure and it was the same story. I worked it another hour or so and again it came on. This time I shut down for the day. The manual is no help at all: "Warning Category 1: This alerts the operator that the machine system needs attention." What does that even mean? Is it feeling lonely? Anyone know what this light means for me to do? Is there a vlucan neck pinch I can do to get what the fault code might be?
With a full S/N might be able to give a better answer. But there should be a way to scroll through screens on your dash display to get to the "Service" screen that would show you several things including active fault codes as well as "logged" codes. Believe there might be a button on the lower left of dash display with three horizontal lines next to the letter"i" Something like this:
I just got off the phone with Cat. No there is no diagnostic or service screen. The only way to read the codes is with a laptop and some kind of black box. There is also no way to get a service truck to the dozer so they are seeing if they would let me drive a technician out in my truck. Great.
Just for kicks and giggles how about a S/N? So someone could confirm what you are being told. Not saying they are not being 100% truthful but just for other peoples information would be nice to know the whole story! Well tried looking at a couple different S/N prefixes and found one with service information dated in 2012 so just guessing it might be similar to yours. In one section it appears to have a way to toggle through information on dash to view event codes. Scroll down to last couple pages and see what it says under "service Mode 0"
You are the man! Yeah that looks like my dash. I'm planning on driving out to the machine tonight and I'll give it a go. The S/N is KMM00461 by the way
hi you should have one of these screens early or late both give you diagnostics and as ken said a serial number will help us and you I am guessing a prefix of KMM ? Mark
I successfully retrieved something that might be error codes. They look like this:
and this:
not sure what happened but I duplicated one and forgot this one:
Yep, those are error codes. Someone here should be able to tell you what they are. I'd be a little miffed at the person who told you they can only be sourced with a lap top though.
I'l start with some of the codes, 3547, E360 and E361. Attaching sections of literature that says what each refers to:
In reference to oil pressure here is the chart that says what triggers the code, note the pressures are in Kpa's not psi! This is the "Illustration #3" mentioned in the E360 box
Attached is some reading that contains information on what the Code with 039 could be caused by:
Wait.... are you saying it is complaining about low oil pressure and over heating and all I get is a little Amber exclamation point? What the heck are all the gauges and warning lights for then? The gauge for engine temp was in the green always. Low oil pressure sure should make itself known a whole lot better than a little exclamation point. Hmmm I’m missing something here. I can’t seem to download the pdf you linked but overnight the tractor reported those codes to me. They are all about the pitch rate sensor failing. What is also strange is that it only sent me an alert about the 039 codes and not the much more important 036 codes.
Thank you so much for getting this information for me. I will feel much more prepared to “discuss” with Cat about how “miffed” I am.
The PDF should down load when you click on it then you can open it on you computer. Some more information that would help you is to know how to tell "logged" from "active" codes so as to not be chasing a problem someone had two years ago. I have to step out of "the office" for sometime but if no one gets that information to you before I get back I'll see what I can come up with to help.
I truly appreciate all the help you’ve already given.
Sorry but I'm not finding anything on how to "clear event codes" other than the suggestion to clear them. Also not seeing how to tell difference between an "active" and "logged" code. Way back up in my first reply above the instructions say it will tell you the hour meter reading and number of occurrences but not seeing that on the pictures you posted. Maybe just some button on the dash you need to push to scroll to that info but I'm not seeing it on SIS right now.
Thanks for all your help. I've got Cat on the case now and we will see where it leads. The machine is way out in the country. Getting to it will not be possible with those big Cat service trucks. If we go I will have to drive the service guy in with my truck. To avoid making a bunch of trips I want him to have a good guess at the issue beforehand. You've been a huge help. Thanks. P.S. I'm betting the little book icon in my pictures mean those are all logged codes. I bet the codes the tractor sent over the Product Link were the active one's (872 and 246) I'll keep you posted. There is nothing I hate more on a forum than when someone asks a question but never posts the resolution.
if it has the compact instrument cluster you cant clear the codes without ET the book indicates that the screen is in service mode for an active code an A is added to the code path as below .as you have not quoted a serial number it could be one of two different displays
Actually if you look above I did post the serial number. It's KMM00461.
. Here it is Mark.
sorry guys for some reason I didn't get that message until you quoted it Tones mark
Mark back in message #5 he did mention the S/N : The S/N is KMM00461 by the way" I can understand about needing ET to delete codes, I was thinking that might be the case. We need to keep in mind that "active code" means just that. If say it was for over heating and he did not know how to "retrieve" the code and went back the next morning and looked at the codes with engine nice and cold and no "!" light on the code would not be active. This is where having the ET hooked up will help as, at least the machines I used it on, it would give you the important information like how many times it was set and the hour meter reading for at least the last occurrence. So if the hour meter now has 2,344 hours on it and it shows last time code was logged was at 2,343 hours and all the other codes were set say back at 1,284 hours or before you had a good idea where to start looking! Now if the poster was to run the machine again and as soon as the "!" light came on he checked for event codes and found one of them with the "A" on before the MID Code he would know where to start looking.
The poster is nodding his head. I will be on the machine this weekend and that is exactly my intent. I talked to Cat and they think it is safe to operate the machine. The '!' was amber and not read. To them that means the code is low severity. If it starts flashing red or is accompanied by an alarm tone then it's different. Thanks for all your help. Really impressive that this resource is out there.
Please let us know what you find this weekend. I agree the amber warning is saying "Something is not right" Red would be saying "Watch out or your wallet is going to take a big hit!"
Well as you might expect I worked it all day and the fault never happened. Let's keep this thread alive If a watched pot never boils.....
That's how it goes sometimes! I always hated to intermittent type problems, spent literally months trying to figure out what was triggering an warning light on a Cat once and that one should have been easy as the light that was coming on was for "Plugged Filter" long story short the "real problem" was a defective temp sender!
If those oil pressure codes were logged codes, could date back to service interval. To keep DDEC and Early Cummins engines controls from showing lost oil pressure after oil changes we had to fill the new oil filters prior to install. They would not pay warranty on the early models if the low/no oil pressure code was logged in.