Wondered if any American operators are presently working in Canada. If any of our Canadian brothers know of any American crane ops. working in Canada I would like to talk with them about how it is working out for them. I have a pretty good offer to go to Alberta. It is a legit offer and I have been doing some research on cost of living and tax rates. Alberta Providence wants employment history for at least the 54 months and 6750 hours of seat time to certify you. The Canadian company is paying for all the processing fees I would have to pay 50.00 bucks for my fingerprinting and FBI background check.
sounds about right. anouther option is flour and kiewit are desperate in newfoundland for operators. properly less money but still good money. Long harbour Hydromet project or Hebron offshore oil rig
There’s some brothers of the hook on facebook, in a group called 'Crane Operators Only'. They can answer the question you have and give some good advice too.
Just to chime in; I have been chasing a job in Canada since July through HKA that partners with Kiewit. Getting the required time of 6750 "crane operating hours" they want your previous direct supervisors name and number. Not just a call to HR and confirming that you worked for said company. very strict. I have been a nuclear crane guy for 3 years. cant even use that time as my company wont release any documents stating such. Some other smaller jobs when I went back for a reference, I was listed as a Heavy Equipment Operator? I have been told the Unions in Edemonton are tight, they have run the "clac" guys out of the mod yard more than once. when a company list flights; its flights within canada or just from Ft McMurry to Edmonton. I havent had any luck finding a American operator in canada to caht with, or canadian for that matter?
Like gostr8r said, Facebook has a few sites, Crane operators only, Crane operators of the world, and Manitowoc crane enthusiasts, great pages, great people.
Going to head north this fall. Mammoet called me to go up last month for a 16 day turnaround/outage. I was not able to go, so I'm going this fall for some longer term work. This will give me a first hand view on whether I want to plan on working in Canada on a somewhat permanent basis.
They must be busy, had/have about 15 new boom trucks coming through our shop for PDI.