Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

American crawler crane – any idea on model number?

Gavin Phillips · 2008-08-30 11:51

Finally got to see this crane in action, moving dismantled parts of a 60ton capacity hammerhead crane onto a Mammoet so it can be loaded onto the floating dry dock for transport to India. However...any ideas what model number of American crane this could be? American as of 1998 is now owned by Terex; so I've tried emailing their contact address but I have no idea if I'll get a reply or not. Any takers? http://www.flickr.com/photos/25517093@N06/2810350887/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/25517093@N06/2810356405/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/25517093@N06/2811206994/

Replies9
  1. #1danhoe2008-08-30 13:05

    Maybe a 995 skyringer. I need to know what year.danhoe

  2. #2Gavin Phillips2008-08-30 13:12

    Well according to another forum it could well be an 11320, 450ton (max) capacity crane with SkyHorse boom assembly. No idea on the year of the machine, or anything else really. The shipping company who owns it do not answer letters or emails and American cranes & hoists was bought up by Terex in 98 so they effectively don't exist anymore. It certainly has the right features for an 11320 including the odd wheeled trolley contraption which holds the counter weights, from a Google search not all American crawler cranes use this design.

  3. #3piledriving2008-09-17 20:20

    looks like the 11320 skyhorse to me

  4. #4Peter W2009-07-09 05:44

    What American The model is an 11250 which was brought in from Scandinavia by Bharati who brought the crane via my father. He was also involved with assisting Bharati to dismantle Swan Hunters and move it to India for reassembly.

  5. #5NICKYGEAR2009-09-21 13:30

    Where is at and what company useis it i repair all types of gears and pinions cranes and draglines

  6. #6BigDon2011-05-14 18:38

    That is an 11250 with the Skyhorse attachment. They made them even bigger. I believe American (Amhoist) made 11000 series (11250/11320 both with the SKyhorse), 12000 series (12210/12270) I have seen pics of these on tracks, very big and a marine pedistal mounted monster 14270, havent seen a pick of that one yet.

  7. #7gostr8r2011-06-21 14:53

    It's a American Sky Horse for sure. I can't see the cab, to tell if it's elevated like the 11320 Sky Horse was used in St. Croix on Phase 2 at the Hess Oil Cat Cracker project. The lack of travel chains makes me think it's one of the 11,000 series models that use the independent hydraulic drive motors to travel. I believe that some use a big water tank for the trailing c/w wagon instead of the stacked weights tho. It wasn't even close to being the most powerful crane there either, since Lampson had a Transi-lift 1200 on site too which used the main boom from a 4600 for the jib.

  8. #8gspaulding2013-07-05 22:00

    I'm not sure of the model number, but is a sky horse. I used to work ay the amhoist plant in Bay City,Mi plant as a welder. The biggest one that they built before shutting down the plant was called the super sky horse. It could pick up around 600 tons and crawl with it with the short boom, and with the long boom wich I think was around 600 feet was 40 tons.

  9. #9gostr8r2013-07-26 15:36

    I don’t think that beast exists. American makes a RING HORSE which has a traditional stationary ring attachment, and a SKY HORSE which has a floatable trailing aux' counterweight tub, but not SKY RINGER.