Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another 310D Reverser

DAW ยท 2018-05-01 12:43

Hey all, new to the forum and joined to ask this question. My dad bought a 94 310d 2wd that we knew needed a reverser rebuild. I pulled it and had the local transmission shop do the build, new clutch, pump and torque converter and new cooler and hoses. I installed the reverser and no forward. We had a very weak forward for a few minutes before the rebuild so I dont think there would be an electrical issue but I checked and replaced the forward reverse coils, cleaned the valve, checked for operation and checked the hydraulic control valve. I dont really want to pull and send back the reverser but I am afraid that the transmission shop missed something. Anyone that has done this rebuild what are some things I could mention to the shop to double check? Anything I should double check before I pull it? Thanks!

Replies6
  1. #1Tinkerer2018-05-01 13:57

    Have you contacted the rebuilder and explained your problem ? That should be the first thing to do if there is a warranty on it.

  2. #2DAW2018-05-01 14:02

    Yes, he mentally went through the build and was amazed I was having trouble with it since it went together so well. Its the reason I replaced the forward reverse coils and cleaned the valve. He doesnt want me to have to pull it either and I was hoping for some suggestions for him to look at when I take it back or something else for me to check while its still in the machine.

  3. #3Tinkerer2018-05-01 14:07

    Sounds good on his part. I am not a Deere kinda guy. One of them will be posting suggestions for you soon.

  4. #4Finca SDR2018-05-01 21:37

    I had several rounds with this crap recently. delighted to say we fixed it now (thinking positive approach, it's been working). The first go round we installed the whole rebuild kit. Pump, torque converter, everything. Didn't fix anything. Eventually the dude found some deep scratches in some rotating pieces that happened because the first original torque converter had been clunking crooked. Guess it's called the compression piston, had a neat ring scratched on the inner surface, looked like it was supposed to be there. Then the other one that was a demon to find was inside the housing, where the splined end of the shaft that comes out on the driveshaft side, not the pump and torque converter side, that neck had a similar ring scratched into it. There's oil duct holes on that neck too so all these scratches were causing internal leaks and the reverser wouldn't work. Sucked, dude told me to get $2.5k worth of parts and it turned out to be like $200 at the machine shop to get the damaged parts sleeved. I'm dealing with a new mechanic that has demonstrated better powers of observation now... So, look for annular scratches on spinning parts in hidden inconvenient places. All in all this crap added up to five disassemblies/reassembled. At least part of that is attributable to a mechanic that we'll choose to think is incompetent rather than one hell of a practical joker. Good luck, this stuff sucks!

  5. #5DAW2018-05-02 08:24

    Thanks for the great reply, this is the kind of intel I was hoping for, just something to look for.

  6. #6DAW2018-05-02 22:50

    So transmission shop had two clips missing by the forward passage one in front and one behind, also noticed that the planetary gear is wore out.