Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another Cummins PT (PTG-VS) question

Shane Kennedy ยท 2019-05-10 17:49

Can anyone advise: Cummins LTA10 fuel pressure pump PTG-VS, I may have lost some parts out of the VS governor, but 1) I'm not sure what, or how the thing is supposed to assemble, 2) I don't actually use the VS function anyway. Is there a simple way for me to block or bypass the VS governor assembly, or can anyone send or link me to an exploded diagram ? I had dismantled the pump to find why it wasn't pushing pressure, and found that the pressure regulator was stuck after a year idle. Thanks-in-advance

Replies8
  1. #1Truck Shop2019-05-11 07:50
  2. #2Shane Kennedy2019-05-11 09:08

    Thanks, but unfortunately, there is no mention of the VS governor. it does suggest however, that the missing part (or one of them) is the button. It is large enough that it won't be hiding in a crack in the floor.

  3. #3Shane Kennedy2019-05-11 15:46

    Having found this : https://automotive.technolab.org/regler-cummins-pumpe , I may have all the parts. I did find a "bobbin", a bar about 5/8th long, 1/4" diameter with pins both ends, and a stack of washers on one. Does that ring any bells ? I am not certain that it is part of the pump anyway.

  4. #4Shane Kennedy2019-05-12 11:17

    Got it. Watching the simulation, it is the "weight assist plunger", and I have lost the spring that goes behind it. Thanks for the pointers. An advice on how to check the shims are right ?

  5. #5Shane Kennedy2019-05-30 16:20

    I am still in trouble with my PTG-VS pump. Fuel is still not getting through to the shutoff valve, and there is a fuel return port on the top of the gear-pump which is giving substantial pressure when the pump is rotated. If I remove the AFC piston, and remove the plug that was partially hidden under the AFC cover, I get free fuel flow that far, and the pressure is relieved from the return line. I have failed to find a mesh/magnet strainer anywhere, was that left out of the VS pumps ?

  6. #6Truck Shop2019-05-30 19:44

    I will only say this once, unless you have major knowledge about a PT pump and a test stand and know how to operate it plus a full book of cpl calibrations you are shooting in the dark.

  7. #7Shane Kennedy2019-05-31 13:11

    It wont be the first time that i have "shot in the dark" and hit the bullseye. I have quite a reputation for an intuitive understanding of how things work. I will get there in this case too. I am not adjusting anything. I don't want to spend money when I may decide to replace the whole engine (in a boat) anyway.

  8. #8kshansen2019-05-31 19:49

    Well good luck! Just remember to have some way to kill that engine when you try to restart it. A plate of steel over the air intake works good just don't get fingers in the way or they will be calling you Lefty! Diesels like to take off fast if some little part is out of place in the fuel system!