Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another D4H newbe question. Hydo tank seeping

PEVO · 2018-06-28 09:37

Since eventually im looking to repaint my new to me tired D4H...im looking to fix any oil leaks first. That said, this dozer is seeping hyro fluid(im assuming) from under the reservoir. Or could be diesel? Since dozer is new to me, i have no history at all to go by. This model has a reinforced ass on it.... what all needs taken off to expose the hydro tank reservoir? Does it have common hose connections or rigid pipe. Damn im reading about all the different areas that you need to check things out and clean out filter screens and other things and im thinking GEEEZ how the hell do you get to all these areas?? Thanks again guys....remember im new to Dozers. Farmall Cs and Ford 8ns and such is all ive ever worked on Please bare with me bombing yall with trivial questions.

Replies13
  1. #1PEVO2018-06-28 12:03

    heres a pic of area in question

  2. #2TimT2018-06-29 16:42

    Better get yourself a Cat Repair manual. That will save you a major headache... modern dozers are complicated machines and it will help you understand how it works, comes apart and goes together.

  3. #3Nige2018-06-29 18:13

    Can you get in closer and see better where the fluid is coming from..? That close inspection could also help you determine if the fluid is oil or fuel (does it smell like diesel or cat ****?). Take more photos......

  4. #4PEVO2018-07-18 10:32

    Dont know for sure if its hydro oil....But i did find a drip from the fuel return. Dont know for sure if it's supposed to be hard line all the way into the fuel tank...mine has two worm clamped 3ish inch long rubber hose sections right at the bottom of the fuel tank that drips about 1 time a minute. I'm assuming i can remove the seat and flat metal floor its attached to to get to it better. I need to clean this area under the seat out anyway...years worth of crap (twigs, leaves, empty soda cans etc.) collected there. No matter which way i get to it (access door from underneath) or from the top...diesel fuel will pour everywhere till i get new hose/fittings on it. if i plan it out and have everything ready i should be able to change it quickly. THEN i'll look for a hydro leak after i powerwash it all.

  5. #5Nige2018-07-18 14:42

    The only clamps on the fuel lines that I can see are close to the injection pump, other than the drain line from the tank. Sounds as though someone has been getting creative with their repairs......

  6. #6PEVO2018-07-18 16:05

    I concur. I'm sure glad i bought this as a fixer upper hobby project (always wanted a dozer to play on...what country boy hasn't?) if i bought this as a money maker..."8 hour a day worker"...id be SO SCREWED!. There's so many little things i'm finding out thats not out right broke, jerry rigged, or disconnected...is daunting to say the least. I'll fix this, then it's on to the next fix. OH...new one...just recently noticed that...NO gauges work...the water temp...the hydo temp...trans temp. All lights TEST + though. Anyway this is a post for another day. So far engine seems fine, not sure if it's running at optimal RPMS thou and the tranny is working properly so far + tracks break/lock up correctly...so thats a HUGE PLUS.

  7. #7kshansen2018-07-18 16:32

    Pevo, Welcome to the site! I see you are getting some good advice right off so as I have limited Dozer experience I'll keep my mouth shut for now. Now if it comes to Farmalls I have a little brother to those "C"s it's a BN with a Woods 72 inch belly mount mower. That thing is a maintenance headache just 30 years ago I rebuilt the magneto on it and a couple weeks back I had to replace the coil again!

  8. #8PEVO2018-07-20 10:02

    Finally hand a chance to get to leaking return line today...after fighting rusted bolts at every turn, removing the seat that weights AT LEAST 100+lbs. Then floor plate...then 20+ years of twigs, leaves, dirt and rocks from the top of the tranny. I finally replaced the hose connection (still have no clue as to why the return line as cut and a section of hose added ). Hopefully that takes care of my leak.

  9. #9kshansen2018-07-20 10:18

    Was not seeing the hose too clean so did a little playing around on computer to zoom in and get a better look: I think I would be putting replacing the complete hose on the "to do list" if not replaced already! I have a feeling something got in there and cut the hose and that repair was done to get it back to work ASAP.

  10. #10PEVO2018-07-20 10:49

    This fix has been there a long time... i found yellow paint over spray on the hose. Also its been extended one time too. it was two sections of 3-4 in hose in line.

  11. #11Nige2018-07-20 12:43

    IMO that is just screaming "replace me" .......... doesn't have to be with genuine Cat parts - although you do have all the Part Numbers on the attachment in Post #6 above. Just in case I haven't mentioned it before, for parts try an outfit called Offroad Equipment - www.offroadeq.com - they do both genuine and aftermarket parts for Cat machines, plus I think they also deal in 2nd hand stuff as well. Although I have never dealt with them personally many members here on HEF speak very highly of them.

  12. #12JD955SC2018-07-21 06:13

    Time to replace that janky “repair” that the previous owners did while you have everything apart While it may be holding everything together now it may fall apart a few hou s down the road in a very inconvienient place not to mention you might toast some very expensive components if you don’t catch it in time

  13. #13PEVO2018-07-29 20:17

    Looks like that fixed that. Now I have some oil seep at the bottom bolts that hold the rippers in place...but I see another post on this exact subject and know the anwser to it. This will have to seep oil.