I think the trucking company just bought themselves a used railway bridge. It happened on highway16 near Lloydminster,Sk/Ab about a week ago. To the trucker's credit, it looks like he had enough chains on... Photo courtesy of CBC news.
A couple more...
I hope the driver was wearing the seatbelt, otherwise he/she would be found in the next state.
That looks like an expensive way to demo a bridge. Around here they always have the excavator facing the other way. Looks to me like the driver just didn't know what he was doing or else maybe he needs a drug test.
Not only that, he'll probably get a ticket for overweight.....
Yea and that Bridge looks a little to wide to be hauling down the road.
tsk2x..that's what's going to happen if you just overlooked potential hazards..better take up some excavator training to avoid such unfortunates events..
Imagine that phone call... Driver: "Good news boss, that 240 was chained down well enough not even an overpass could have knocked off" Boss: "I don't think I like where this is going..." Driver: "Yeah, um, on a completely different note... you wanted to buy a new tractor, trailer, excavator... and a bridge right?" Seriously hope no one was hurt though... I don't think I have ever seen a hoe loaded boom forward around here... is it common in other places... that don't normally have overhead obstacle... like wires, or bridges?
Never seen one forward here in Texas either.Hard to get them low enough.
who knows where he had the boom and stick at the time of the accident. it does seem like it was on the high side. we always haul everything all the way tucked up and in. cab facing backwards. i know some guys that move 450's like that for scaling out but even so. i am not a lowboy hand but most i know usually scout out their route and have a good plan and have the machine tucked up as low as possible. few years bag a fella rented a 315 here in down and had it on a tag. loaded just how we park them. anyway the stick was close to vertical with the bucket bottom flat. he ended up taking out a few lights. always makes you wonder how these guys do it. really. people ask us why we use a block under the bucket linkage when it is laid down on the trailer as well. regards, cd
Yea makes me wonder, in Manitoba hoes are hauled facing backwards. That's how I was taught. When I moved to Alberta I frequently see them hauled facing forwards by the locale guys, hiway haulers I see face backwards. If i remember that underpass it is posted 14'2''. But it sure looks taller than that in photo. muzy edit, was reading here http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/10/11/sask-lloyd.html one poster says underpass over 5.1 meters/16'8'' wow.
Y'all keep talking about it being chained down good, and I could very well be wrong, (it happens way too often) but I don't see any unbroken chains. I'm thinking what kept it on the trailer was the tracks being driven down and back, into the deck and the back frame. What do y'all think? I agree, I've never considered hauling any trackhoe facing forward. When I haul mine w/ the stick extension on, it won't curl under far enough lower the boom all the way, so I haul it facing backward, w/ the stick hanging off the back of the trailer, like a dragline.
I only see three bunge cords left on the headache rack, so thats were the chains should be if not on the load. But thean again they can make noise if you lift the clutch to quickly. So perhaps this is one of the prestgous chainless heavy haulers. muzy Side note. for the most part in AB 16 feet of head room is pretty common, 18 feet is do able Where as in MB 14' 6'' you better know your route.
Highway 16 from hiway 36 to lloyd is part of the high load corridor http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/3192.htm last time I checked min clearance is 17'6'' Lots of guys don't tie the boom down, eventhough it is required by our load securement regulations. And that machine would have to have an overweight permit for that many wheels, unless there is a jeep between the tractor and trailer inwhich case the machine would need to face back with the counterweight over the trailer neck.
they said the other day he was charged with exceeding the height limit on an overdimensional permit
Just received these photos when I returned home. A couple more photos to accompany the originals from caly digger & carlsharp .
Thanks for sharing, nice to see that wreck from all different angles. Must of been one heck of a quick stop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OLgOuPTUnc&feature=related Seems to be driving excavators into things is the current fashion trend.
Good thing no train was coming or else the enginer would have to tell his boss he hit a Deere.
Hit a Deere thats funny!!! i cant believe theres not more damage to the excavator!!! especially a railroad bridge, you would think the boom would be completely ripped off, That truck driver has to be hurting whether he had the seat belt on or not !!! Don
I think you are being very kind to call that fool a truck driver. How high is the load? Who knows and who cares, I just sit in the seat and steer.
噢,我的老天!
I sure hope that driver's head hurts. Hauling a 240deere on a lowboy should easily make 14' Someone like that got what they deserve!
I guess the drivers making tracks for a new job.............fancy not folding the boom up!!!!!!! What a plum
Do you think that stick cylinder is for sale? Gosh, this is totally insane. A lot of this could be avoided if people just think ahead about the possible consequenses of doing things incorrectly or incomplete. Mark
Hey at least the train didn't get into it, imagine what a wreck that would have been. I predict the insurance co. will drop trucker like a hot rock.
Another bridge collision These may already be on hef and I apologize if I am reposting but I just received it in an email, does anyone know anything about this ? Pj
I now know you can not move a bride and excavator on the same trailer.
Oh Deere!
Load it backwards? nah........ I got this
We used to move draglines with the operator in the cab, so he could swing the boom as I went around corners. Can you imagine being in that cab and seeing that bridge coming?
Happened over a year ago there are more pics
if i recall thath if ever you hit a bridge or overhead structure while towing under permit the permit instantaly becomes void. so they can charge you for weight height and width plus whatever you hit
Judging from the oversize sign I should think that it happened in Canada.
New thread has been merged with the older one.
Without a doubt it's a lot of weight at high speed pushing in the correct direction, but it seems like not much more than gravity holds that railroad bridge in place.
Most bridges sit on a bearing and not much more.
Note to marketing department: "Nothing runs a bridge, like a Deere" "Nothing runs into a bridge, like a Deere"
Quoted from comedian Bill Engvall, goes something like this: Police Officer: "Was your truck too high to go under that bridge?" Driver: "No officer, I was hauling that bridge down the road and my truck just happened to run out of fuel. Here's your sign!"